Options

Alde

TweedrvrTweedrvr Member Posts: 122
edited November 2015 in Heating/Plumbing & Winterizing
Is it usual to hear running water sounds when you turn the Alde on?  It's the first time I've turned it on. 

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Yep - It's the fluid running through the overflow tank - Also makes a gurgling sound at times. If you take out the back shelf you can see the tank - That's where you check the fluid level.
    Bothered me when I first got the T@B as it was a new sound my brain wasn't used to. Now I don't even hear it unless I concentrate on it.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Also, make sure that the expansion tank that PXL is referring to is filled to the full mark. 

And there's a switch on the circulation pump that allows you to adjust the speed of the fluid flowing through the lines. It's been discussed and described here before. Sorry, I can't tell you about it cuz ours doesn't have it (ours is an early 2014)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    That adjustment valve is a really little red knob that's hard to see as (on mine) it sits sideways and I had to use a mirror to see what it was set at - factory setting is 2. You shouldn't have to change that.
    As ChanW mentions, you do need to check that reservoir once in awhile. That will require removing a couple of screws in the back shelf and removing the shelf - Not hard to do at all.
  • Options
    I'm really glad to read all this. If new to RVing is a "1", then I am a "-5!"  I'm also glad to be taking my time learning things before I take to the road.  Thanks, I will check all that out!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    And if it needs topping off, you'll need to hunt down the right stuff to put in there. It would need to be glycol antifreeze, but not RV plumbing antifreeze (ie: not what's used for winterizing).

Rather, it would be the stuff that's used in a radiant boiler in your house, or an expensive sports car engine.

It's non-toxic (glycol), with corrosion inhibitors for aluminum...

I still haven't found any, but I got close at West Marine boat supply, and I think it can probably be had at Camping World.

I talked to Little Guy about it, and they use the Sierra brand, but I can't find that anywhere. 

I think Amsoil also has it.

It can be expensive, but there are some brands that aren't, also.

The Alde service manual recommends changing the fluid every two years, to keep the antifreeze protection. It might be cheaper to buy an antifreeze tester, though.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    There was one thread here that said if it's down just a little you could add a little distiller water and it wouldn't dilute enough to make a difference - think that recommendation came from the factory - Anyone recall that.
    Think the factory should have it listed in the T@B store since it's so hard to find.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Searching for "distilled water" showed two discussions that agreed that distilled water can be used: "Alde Systems" and "the Need to Bleed". 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna - Hmmmmm, know I didn't dream it :-)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I tell you that it is amazing how much I "think" I know about the T@B's just from reading here...and I don't own one ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Continued thanks, everyone! I'm totally overwhelmed but one thing at a time. Not going anywhere in a big hurry. I'll get it all clear into my head.
  • Options
    Yeah, I should have said LG offered to sell me some if I couldn't find it locally.

I think the shipping cost would make the price through LG pretty outrageous.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    On my 2015 the red control on the Alde was set to about 7 from the factory. At this setting it was quite noisy. I adjusted to about 3 and now it's nice and quiet. I used the modern version of a mirror to see the setting on mine. It's called an iPhone. Kept taking photos and checking them until I had it set correctly. 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    7, wow, no wonder it was noisy.
    Last fall in 10 degree weather with wind I couldn't get enough heat to keep it even close to comfortable unless you consider 50 comfy. The factory had me try setting the red dial higher and higher for more frequent flow. Didn't make a difference - finally determined the thermostat to be defective. When I set the red dial back down I asked what to set it at and that's where I got the 2 could be 3 without too much change though.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    My local Pep Boys had a pretty slim selection of antifreeze today, and none of it was low-tox. Maybe it's the fact that we are still in the upper 80‘s during the dayl

I only need to top it off, so I might stick with distilled water for now.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I'm going to try to find an Amsoil dealer. They have the right kind, at a better price than most, I think.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    I topped mine off with distiller the last time -was nowhere even close to a supply of antifreeze - Didn't take much.