Clamshell owners: If your T@B came with an outside television, do you use it?

It's interesting to see that NuCamp is making some changes to the non-clamshell T@B. As a 3-year clamshell owner, I think that they should also consider updating the clamshell model, so I'm asking questions related to that. 
San Francisco Bay Area
2013 CS-S us@gi
Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab

Clamshell owners: If your T@B came with an outside television, do you use it? 45 votes

I never use the TV
28% 13 votes
I removed the TV
33% 15 votes
I use the TV very infrequently
8% 4 votes
I use the TV sometimes
17% 8 votes
I use the TV quite a bit
11% 5 votes

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    We intentionally ordered a Basic model that came without a TV or radio/DVD.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • We removed the outside TV and got a replacement door for the space.
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    If I had a tab cs...would not use the TV...would rather have a microwave or storage...preferably a microwave😁
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    We removed outside TV, sold it and got a replacement door as did RoseK...
    Inside entertainment useful when grandkids with us...a movie or recorded book playing through DVD.  
    Radio useful for listening to news in morning.  
    We truly never tried watching TV outside...just seemed like the antithesis of camping, the real reason for a small travel trailer.  
    Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited

• mannymanny Member Posts: 108
    I, have a 2017 cs-s ( build 7-2016)  when I ordered it back then without the gallery TV..No sink in bathroom,  counter with cabinets and sink ,  where the bench was.. license plate holder on the clamshell hatch... all that stuff standard now...  Pullout cooler or ARB.. All these new changes..  ie.. color  new a/c   I`ll keep my unit!!
    2017  T@B CS-S Max ...  2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    Manny, how much extra did they charge/subtract for those changes?
    Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited

• TravelinRosiTaTravelinRosiTa Member Posts: 7
    I removed the TV and put in a small bar :)
    Tracy & Sherra
    Dallas, TX
    '19 T@B 400 Boondock Lite/Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk

• mannymanny Member Posts: 108
    @Vikings ,  I had a 2015 L-max ,I traded in...they gave a good deal on it..   I think maybe extra $1000.00  also got outside storage door...   that was 3 yrs.ago.  before they became Nucamp..  say hi to Dale & Sandy for me...
    2017  T@B CS-S Max ...  2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    Those of you who use the outside TV - what do you watch? Football games? the news? It just seems like the size and placement is weird for movie watching. I’m genuinely interested I how you’re using it. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • nhmikenhmike Member Posts: 94
    We took the kitchen TV out of our Clamshell and made a door to replace it, giving more access for storage.  Never used, never missed.
    2016 cs-s max
  • JFriedLandJFriedLand Member Posts: 7
    I just ordered a door to replace the TV in my 2019 CS-S. I guess this model is popular for tailgating and that why they put two TVs in such a small space? I wish I could put a toaster oven in that space, but I’m not sure I could find one that fits and adequately insulate it. At least with the TV gone I’ll have a little more space under the cabinet where it used to be for a toaster oven.
    T@b 320 CS-S, Chevy Suburban

• hobbithousehobbithouse Member Posts: 25
    We used it outside a lot. It was our movie night at the drive in theater. Popcorn and liquid refreshments ect. Had lots of non tabers arrive with lawn chairs to join in.
    2019 TAB400 2018 Toyota Tacoma 4dr trd off road
  • bfeenybfeeny Member Posts: 24
    We had ours removed and replaced with a cupboard door when we bought our clamshell
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Have an older Dutchmen and don't have a TV in the kitchen, BUT we do bring a 24" flatscreen along sometimes, but hook it up and put it on a table under the doorside window. The kitchen just isn't our "hangout space" We watch college football and other sporting events on weekend trips. 
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    i just took my off the bracket.  sometimes when i know i will go to someplace nice that i will seat outside and use it i can easily mount it back and use it just for the trip.   for the most part is off.   i use the same connection for a back up camera. 
  • fiddlefootfiddlefoot Member Posts: 62
    Husband is an early riser, likes to make coffee and watch the news, also watches football.  We have an awning over the clamshell door and a screen house we put up just behind the door when we are somewhere for a longer stay.  If we are sitting, we sit outside much more than inside.  Bed is always made so not much sitting inside.

Denise, Rea and Ruby
    2016 CS S, 2008 Toyota Tacoma
    Somerset, VA

• MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I just ordered a door to replace the TV in my 2019 CS-S. I guess this model is popular for tailgating and that why they put two TVs in such a small space? I wish I could put a toaster oven in that space, but I’m not sure I could find one that fits and adequately insulate it. At least with the TV gone I’ll have a little more space under the cabinet where it used to be for a toaster oven.
    I have a toaster oven on the counter above the fridge, and no outside TV in my T@B. I still feel like I have to remove the toaster oven to a table to use it. Just gets too hot to leave on the counter. I does ride very nicely in that spot during travel though.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • NomadPilgrimNomadPilgrim Member Posts: 111
    Marceline said:
    It's interesting to see that NuCamp is making some changes to the non-clamshell T@B. As a 3-year clamshell owner, I think that they should also consider updating the clamshell model, so I'm asking questions related to that. 

I used it once 4 years ago" wasn't an option ;-) I keep the fuse out of it so it doen't draw power. Same inside. We do use that one on rare occasions, like multi-day downpours.
    2016 T@B Maxx CS-S  following a 2008 4Runner Ltd

Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience.-
    Paulo Coelho
    What I did remove was the fridge. I prefer my RTIC cooler. Anyone want to buy a fridge?

Paulo Coelho
  • gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 504
    Never turned mine on!
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 410
    New owners.  We have camped once so far and didn't use the galley TV because there was no signal.  I can't see us using it often.  With the 320 CS-S parked at home I have used the TV in the backyard on a couple Sundays.  After the second time, I warned my lovely wife never to expect any yard work from me again.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • 2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    @Marceline - news and sports.  Don't use it often, but when we have had a "big game" end up with folks over to watch ;)
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

Pulled mine out today finally. Now, what to do with that space?!

Paulo Coelho
    Pulled mine out today finally. Now, what to do with that space?!
    I covered the MDF backing board for the TV in cork and I just access that cabinet from the inside. I think that at least one person has managed to squeeze a tiny microwave in there.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • brooksdmbrooksdm Member Posts: 11
    We use our TV all the time!!  We camp at the river a lot and at the end of the night, we unwind with snacks, beer and a movie!  We even watch our church service (with coffee not beer, LOL) on Sunday mornings.  We hook up our Firestick to the TV and tap into our mobile hotspot and we're good to go!  We absolutely LOVE our TV!!!
    2016 T@B Max CS-S, 2017 Nissan Pathfinder
  • JP2558JP2558 Member Posts: 219
    Does anyone have a guide to removing the television from the outdoor kitchen?

Thanks, Jerry 

2019 Honda Pilot AWD and 2018 T@B 320-CS hanging out on the left edge of Lake Erie.
    edited June 2020
    On the new clamshells, apparently the television can be taken off the mount by pushing it up and then tilting it out. I'm not sure if this is the exact mount, but it's something like this: http://www.morryde.com/uploads/downloads/1466623755-TV1-048H Instructions.pdf

On my older (2013) clamshell I had to remove it by unbolting the TV mount (with the TV still attached) from the inside of the trailer. I zip tied all the cables to together and secured them so that if someone wants to re-install a TV they can.

After removing the television and mount I covered the MDF panel with cork to make a bulletin board. Other people have done things like put a tiny micowave in the space or install a spice rack. I thought about creating some kind of mini-bar but ran out of energy. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • JP2558JP2558 Member Posts: 219
    @Marceline, thank you for your input and the link.

Thanks, Jerry 

2019 Honda Pilot AWD and 2018 T@B 320-CS hanging out on the left edge of Lake Erie.
  • gracegrace Member Posts: 8
    @Marceline The link is broken, do you have another? I am trying to remove the kitchen TV with no luck.
    2013 T@B 320 CSS (purchased in 2018)
    1997 & 2021 Toyota 4Runners
    Northern California
  • jbajorjbajor Member Posts: 134
    All the time!
    Ultimate Toys Teardrop Camper
    Volvo XC-40
    SF Bay Area, California