Options

Outback Platform Boxes Installation

I just received the diamond-plate boxes From Custom Aluminum Boxes and would like to get some ideas on how to fasten these to the platform.  I’m nervous about drilling holes into the boxes and I want to get this right the first time.  Thank you!

Deb - 2017 T@B U-basic Outback silver/silver  D@mselfly  
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4WD New Mexico

Comments

• Options
    RFraerRFraer Member Posts: 87

This is what I did but you have to drill holes in your new boxes. Go to the hardware store and get 1-1/4” pipe clamps(4), aluminum bar (approx. 1/8”x 1” x 16")  rubber adhesive backed bumpers (8) and round head fasteners and lock nuts & washers (12). The bumpers are to raise the box up around 1/4” from the BD platform so water can dry. Use the pipe clamps to attach the box to the BD loops.   When the boxes are positioned with the clamps, from the underside of the BD platform drill a hole slightly bigger than your fastener dia hole in the bottom of the box through the center of the large holes closest to the front of the BD platform.  Cut the alum bar in 4” strips and Drill a hole slightly bigger than your fastener dia in the middle of the bar.  From inside the box drop a fastener thru the hole you drilled. from the underside use the bar to clamp the box to the platform using the lock nuts.

• Options
    reeddreedd Member Posts: 61
    RFraer, this is great and I appreciate you help with this!  I hadn't thought about the bumpers.  Did you put a piece of bar inside the box as well as under the platform?  Thanks!
  • Options
    RFraerRFraer Member Posts: 87
    I only put the bar on the bottom but you could do both or use a large OD washer.
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    When I attached my box, I used stainless steel carriage bolts, and BIG SS fender washers and SS lock nuts. I placed the box where I wanted it, used a sharply to mark the box through the big holes of the platform. Drill the holes in your box. I used pieces of inner tubes as a buffer between the two metal components. Run the carriage bolt up into the box. Fender washers to downsize the holes in the platform. Lock nuts inside the box will provide security. Cut carriage bolts to size. Voila!
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    No drilling into platform is needed.  There's many designed holes in the platform.  Just place box on platform where you want.  Taking into consideration for clearance to open the lids.  Go to underside of platform, trace a couple platform holes at appropriate places with a Sharpie marker.  Flip over box and drill a few mounting holes.  I used two large washers(one inside box, one under platform) on bolts with lock nuts.  Four for each box.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    GatorEgg said:
    No drilling into platform is needed.  There's many designed holes in the platform.  Just place box on platform where you want.  Taking into consideration for clearance to open the lids.  Go to underside of platform, trace a couple platform holes at appropriate places with a Sharpie marker.  Flip over box and drill a few mounting holes.  I used two large washers(one inside box, one under platform) on bolts with lock nuts.  Four for each box.
    That’s what I said...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    WVWandererWVWanderer Member Posts: 12
    What size boxes did you get???  Thanks!
    Jeep Wrangler Unlimited & soon to be Outback
    Pittsburgh, PA
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,688
    This thread from a couple of years ago has lots of info on different boxes.  I have the custom aluminum boxes, drilled hole through the boxes and platform.  There are washers on the inside of the boxes where the bolts are and on the bottom where the bolts exit the platform. In two years haven't had any issues with them.  I ordered mine so they are level with the top of the tongue box.  Pricey, but well worth it.  There are some other options in the thread for the Rubbermaid boxes, etc.  My contribution is on page 3.....

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    reeddreedd Member Posts: 61
    Thanks so much for the advice and the link!  I’d considered various plastic boxes but in the NM sun they wouldn’t last very long, plus I didn’t want to mess with having to take these off the platform all the time.  I bought a couple of FrontRunner Wolf Pack boxes with the tall lids....great boxes but didn’t want them on the platform permanently because contents would get too hot, also, you can’t lock them.  But I love the WPs for storage in the bed of the truck.  pthomas745,  I like how the lids of yours are level with the propane box and they open inside the handles.  

What size boxes did you get???  Thanks!
    I ordered the boxes with inside dimensions of 18” left to right, 13” front to back, and 16” tall.  So the actual outer dimensions are a little bigger.  Each box has two pad lockable latches.  Mark Morales at Custom Aluminum Boxes was great to work with and did a very fine job on these.  Mark said he had made these for several people but had never seen the camper. Said that most of the ones he'd made were 19” x 14” x 16”.  I wanted them a little smaller so they didn’t hang over the platform too much.  The lids open pretty wide, even with the handles in the way, because they sit forward of the wall of the camper.