Alde Combustion Fan Failure — repaired - replaced Alde main circuit board

SystemSystem Posts: 180
This discussion was created from comments split from: Gas Failure.

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @cooper31525, how level was your T@B?  

I discovered this week while “camping” at a rest park on the interstate that my Alde would not stay on because I was so un-level. The same thing happened last night at a Pilot Truck stop that was more I level.  (54* in the am inside is a bit chilly!)

The Alde appeared to run for about 90 seconds to two minutes, then the “gas failure” alarm came on my screen. 

The Alde is running just fine tonight on the same 1/2 tank of propane. I made sure I was level tonight. 

By the way, after almost 5 years of owning two different T@B’s, this is the first time I have been so un-level that the Alde wouldn’t operate.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    edited November 2019
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    @Verna that is odd, can't think of anything in the Alde that would require leveling? Only possible explantation might be the flame sensor, the flame would tend to be verticle and if you are enough off level I suppose the flame may not hit the sensor?
    @N7SHG_Ham, as I am not well versed in the technical aspects of what happened as you, I can only say that both nights, I was hitch higher, and driver’s side higher. One propane tank was full, not used as not needed yet. The other tank was half full. To be quite honest, I was on a slope, but as long as my head is higher than my feet, and I don’t roll out of bed, I can sleep. I was able to cook my breakfast on the stove each morning, so I know the propane in the less full tank was good enough for that flow. 

I know this summer I Boondocked in the the PNW a couple times where the tongue was lower and it was uncomfortable to stay in bed, but I also know the Alde worked then as I had my morning shower and washed the breakfast dishes.

And, while I Boondock a lot in the West and Southwest, when I do Boondock, I do try to level within a 1/2 of a bubble from level both ways. But when parking for an overnight in these free commercial type places, I know I am not supposed to look like I’m making myself at home. Therefore I made no attempt to level except to move in the Pilot truck stop to a bit more level site.  Now I wonder if the Alde would have worked if I had reversed my direction....the T@B is going into storage today or tomorrow for a month after I winterize it, so I won’t be able to replicate the situation right now.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    I'm a fan of unscrewing the propane line from the tank and screwing it back together and trying it again. Something about changing air pressures going to and from places has caused me the same issue.  That fixed it. 
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

edited November 2019
    I take back my theory of the level ness of the T@B and Alde. It failed again last night. The side to side is perfectly level and the front to back is 1/4 bubble off of level. After today (a very hectic day with way too much to do plus winterizing), I will have to call Spencer at Alde. By the way, I do have the Alde 3020 and I am not using the Flow feature. 

I’ll split my comments off later to a separate thread later so as not to confuse the original poster. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    edited November 2019
    Battery was at 12.9V last night on mine, plus above 12.6V the two previous times.  Verified on Zamp solar controller and the Victron Battery monitor. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    I’m hearing it may be a combustion fan failure. I’m waiting for confirmation and what to do. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @Verna, on the 3020HE digital control panel, you can monitor fan speed. I don't believe the flame will ignite if there is no fan rotation, so it must be starting or there would be no flame at all. You might start the Alde and watch the fan speed under the service menu and see what happens before you get error message, maybe it starts and then stops, therefore causing a flame shut down?
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    I was on a 3-way call with Creed and Spencer. The service menu shows the fan speed. It went up to 3800 then down to 2000 then back up to 3800 then down to nothing. It will try two times and then give a propane failure. It worked the 3rd time, so I’ll leave it running all night to see if it shuts off as it did last night. Two nights ago I couldn’t get it to start. 

Spencer said the levelness has nothing to do with the Alde’s propane feature...so much for my theory. Some component is going bad, we just have to figure out which one. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    edited November 2019
    @Verna - I did see that same behavior with mine once.  Exactly what you described with the fan.  I didn't have the propane on.  I am not saying that is your problem, but just wanted to provide that info.  Might be something going on with the delivery of the propane to the combustion chamber.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
    @gspdx, the problem is that it is totally inconsistent. It ran overnight and turned off with a gas failure at 9 am. I turned it on and it ran for 3 hours until I had to leave. I’ve asked Creed and Spencer to put me on hold until after the first of the year because I put the T@B in storage today for about a month. 

This has been with two different propane tanks. 

To be continued......
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Have you pulled the cover off the Alde and reseated ALL the plugs on the board?
    @N7SHG_Ham, no I have not. 

The T@B is now in storage for the next month and the diagnostics are at a standstill. Once I can move the T@B to my new house, I will be able to continue with the testing.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Ok, I would start with that, often the plugs on a circuit board need reseated and I have had the board fail on my home furnace more than once, it gets a bad solder joint or a bad trace from heating and cooling cycles and/or vibration. That then causes an intermittent failure. It sounds very much like what you have.
  • gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    @Verna - whatever the cause I hope it's not too expensive to fix.  Good luck with it and please let us know what you find out.  

Intermittent failures are the hardest to find.  I spent 20 years in the Air Force with most of that time as an aviation electronics tech and these are the most frustrating.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
    Thank you, @gspdx, I understand the frustrating part of intermittent as I was a technician for the phone company for most of my 40 year career. Static and intermittent were the worst!

I will post the results as we owners always want to help the other owners. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    The latest update is that I am driving my 400 to Sugar Creek so Austin and Creed can figure out what is wrong with the propane part of my Alde 3020. I’ll leave it there this weekend and pick it up when they’re done. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • b407driverb407driver Member Posts: 130
    I'll be curious to see if my recent propane failure has something to do with this. Since it just happened to me, haven't done any troubleshooting or checked the fan. Thanks for the info.
    2020 T@B400 Boondock Lite w/solar, TV is 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD
    Jeff --Front Range of Colorado
    Austin replaced the defective main circuit board. He said they ran it for 5 days on propane and it worked continuously. Ahhhhh, heat again!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    @Verna glad they got it going. That was my guess if there wasn't a bad connection between the fan and the board.
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    I've seen this error a number of times.  After I cycled Alde power- it goes away.  any thoughts as to what to look for?  Alde 3020.  5500ft.  Mid 40's.  good battery and propane.  
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    morey000 said:
    I've seen this error a number of times.
    After I cycled Alde power- it goes away.  any thoughts as to what to look for?
    Alde 3020.  5500ft.  Mid 40's.  good battery and propane.
    Do you have the 3020 High Altitude Feature turned-on ?
    Feature increases combustion fan speed to increase oxygen to flame; quieter, cleaner, more robust burn.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+

@morey000, I worked with tech@nucamprv.com and tech support at Alde on the phone to determine what was wrong with mine. Due to a lack of available time for more trouble shooting, I ended up taking the 400 to nüCamp’s repair shop and they replaced the main circuit board. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited April 2020
    @morey000, although it discusses the Alde 3010 (same issue), this thread may be helpful:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/136115#Comment_136115
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)