T@b400 one side lower than the other

After our last trip when I parked my 400 at the storage lot i noticed it was not sitting level from side to side.  The lot is level and my tanks are dry. Got my tape measure out and found that measuring from the axle hub the measurement to the fender skirt on the galley side was 14" and on the bathroom side it was 15" .  Anyone else incurred this issue?  If so what was your fix?
BigGrover
2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
Central Alabama

Comments

• falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    Did you possible have the factory supplied spare tire mounted on the galley side?  With the Boondock option the road tires are 235x75 while the spare is still the non-Boondock 205x75 size. That could measure out to a 1" difference.  Possibly different tire inflation pressures may be a factor, but I think one tire would have to be seriously under inflated to show a 1" difference.
  • BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    @Falcon1970Tire pressures are 48lb per tire, it is a BDL with the spare under the tongue. I must have a bad torsion axle I am thinking
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    @BigGrover trying to wrap my mind around this.  Measuring to the fender’s skirt could be a “cosmetic” measure since the fenders are attached to the body on each side.  Wondering if there is another measure to the bottom of the chassis on each side? If you know for sure the surface is level, then measure from the ground up to the bottom of the frame at the same place on each side, then I think any difference would have to be the axle suspension and would agree with you.
    @TNOutback, i agree measuring to frame would be better but it has been cold and wet, when it dries up I am going to hook it up and take it to a concrete pad and measure ground to frame. I noticed it looks tilted at the storage lot and it used to be level when we parked but now isn't. My dealer is 4 hours away, I hate to have to travel that far for them to look at it.  We really like our T@b but have been thinking about selling it so we can get something that is supported locally.  
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    If it once was level but now is not, could you have a bent spindle on one side or the other?  I haven’t crawled underneath and looked at the suspension, so I don’t know if there are any level adjustments to be made to them.
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    If you are out of warranty, I would find a good local shop and see what they think. If it is bad axle assembly, it is a rare occurrence and a Tab dealer likely will NOT have any specific experience in troubleshooting and repair, BUT a good shop should be able to figure it out as this axle is used on lots of trailers.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    @N7SHG_Ham I've reach out to Nucamp.  It is still under warranty.  Don't know how I could have bent a spindle but as we all know things happen.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    I was just reading about Dexter axles last night.  And found a "manual" for the "light duty" axle.  The Torflex axle does "seem" to describe "various starting angles" on the spindles to control ride height. Could one of the spindles "slipped?"

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
    @pthomas745 it might be that's the issue.  I may try to find a local trailer company with Dexter axle experience to look at it for me.  My Nucamp dealer is 4 hours away.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
    I believe the starting angle is due to how the mounting bracket is attached and there is no adjustment on that. If it is slipped it is a broken or bent mount. These are very simple axles, no adjustment, no maintenance except the hub seals and bearings and brakes when equiped. The spindle is a bolt on and easily replaced if needed.

I would start by making absolutely sure you are correct about one side lower 1st.
    Update, Nucamp is providing a new axle and arranged to pay a local shop to do the replacement for us.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
    Good news, any chance of the failure analysis when you get the new axle?
    You bet, I am going to ask them to check the spindle before removing the axle.  Will post here what we find!
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    @BigGrover You're experienced more than your share of problems with the 400s. Hope things work out this time. 
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

The 2018 400 had first was plagued with a bunch of issues, most caused by the service staff at Roadway RV in Montgomery.  On the 2019, early on,  after loctiting the bolts on the door lock and lubricating and adjusting the latch assembly, it has been trouble free until  now with 25 nights of camping in it.  We have put it up for sale because of my wife's health issues.  Three couples have been by  to look at it already.  I think it's going to sell quickly once the axle/spindle issue is resolved. I have apprised all interested buyers that Dexter is sending a new acle.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    edited December 2019
    @BigGrover Have you received the axle yet?  Did it already come with the mounting plates welded to the axle?

Just curious as I was thinking about getting a little more ground clearance on my 400 BDL but it doesn't look like such an easy proposition the way the axle, mounting plate and frame go together.

Thanks.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
    @gspdx it was shipped yesterday to the shop that's gonna install it. When I take it in to be replaced I'll look at it and let you know.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    edited December 2019
    EDITED FOR PHOTO SIZE

gspdx,  This is a 3900lb axle for the regular 400.  Swapping it out in our 2018 that is a 3500lb.  The bdl is the same except it is listed at 4000lb and has a different drop on the torsion arm.  Dexter classifies both as the 4000lb units. The brackets are welded on to the axle and bolt with 4 bolts per side to the T@B frame.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    😂 The only thing I recognize in these photos is a red and a white plastic bucket!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

Thanks for the photos atlasb.  That is what I was thinking.  Makes adding a little lift difficult and expensive I would imagine.  Not something I will be looking into until I find out how far I can take the 400 BDL as is.  It might not be an issue at all.  
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    PNW
    @gspdx I would think that if you needed more clearance than is standard on the bdl removing the spare would give you a couple more inches
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
    jgram - not sure if you are really interested or not, but lots of trailers just bolt the axle to the underside of the frame.  What Nucamp did is to have a slot cut out of the frame and have this bracket welded to the axle that allows the axle to slide up into the slot in the frame and then bolt to the side of the frame rather than the bottom.  I would imagine this provides quite a bit of strength for the frame without adding lots of weight since the Dexter axle can be used as a structural component.

I had a trailer before that I lifted by adding tube steel sections in between the frame and the axle, but that isn't possible with Nucamp's design.  

Just saw this image in another conversation today.  The frame is upside down and a little dark - but you can see the axle is "in" the frame, not resting on the frame.

This also shows the fresh water tank - white - and grey tank - dark.  Notice the step in the fresh water tank to work around the axle.  
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    PNW
    BigGrover said:
    @gspdx I would think that if you needed more clearance than is standard on the bdl removing the spare would give you a couple more inches
    Well - I probably don't need it and I am just over thinking it.  =)  That is a good idea though and would only be required in a few situations I am sure.  Would be a lot cheaper too!
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    PNW
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @gspdx I actually enjoy trying to grasp what all you techies are talking about, while praying I never have need of the knowledge. That slotted design seems elegant, a little like a woodworking lap joint. Thanks for taking the time.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

@jgram2 Yes - they probably know what they are doing.  :)

Just makes it harder for us to come in and screw it up!
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    PNW