Options

Space heater to get up to temp faster?

Hey folks. I was curious... do any of you use a small, portable space heater to get up to sixty or so more quickly, then kick the Alde in?
I was concerned about safety, and if it is common to do this, which heaters are compact, cool to the touch, have tip-over shut-off, and bring the temp up quickly.  Thanks!
T@B 400 2020

Comments

• Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    edited November 2019
    We use a Buddy portable heater. TWD did a YouTube on the Buddy heater and we picked one up and it worked well at 12 degrees in Walmart parking lot. The heater got the temp up to 60 and the Alde took it from there and we turned off the Buddy Heater. The buddy heater did a nice job bridging the gap while the Alde was heating up. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    GibWGibW Member Posts: 95
    We often use a small electric ceramic heater when we're hooked up. Heats up faster and circulating air  can help dry wet clothes. But Alde is great for keeping constant Temps. Love how quiet it is. 
    2017 T@B Max-S, silver & silver, towed by a Titanium Silver 2018 Kia Sorento AWD V-6, Twin Cities MN
  • Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    I have an older T@B without Alde. When I camp in cooler weather and have electric hookup, I rely solely on a small 1500W space heater. Its quieter than my heat pump or my gas furnace.  Looks something like this. 
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    TabsterTabster Member Posts: 118
    I also have a buddy heater.  Love it. Use it out side and bring it in to warm up the tab before the alde can
    2015 CS. Ford f150 v8. Southern california
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    I’ve got a small ceramic heater to warm the inside quickly. What actually works the fastest is to boil a small pot of water for a bit. Then you can enjoy a nice cup of tea! My heater fits well in the bottom cabinet under the sink. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    We have an upright space heater that we use to warm up the trailer when we pull into a site and are setting up.  I turn the Alde on and sometimes after the trailer is positioned and in place we leave the space heater going, go grab a bite to eat and then come back to a comfortable trailer.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    I light up the stove top burners for about 5 min. Heats up the inside of the 320 very fast 
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    webers3 said:
    I light up the stove top burners for about 5 min. Heats up the inside of the 320 very fast 

I used this method with a flipped over clay flower pot over the burner to heat up my sailboat interior.  The heated pot would radiate for some time after stove was turned off.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    GeetarzGeetarz Member Posts: 18
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    @GatorEgg you don't have to worry about the clay pot cracking or exploding?  That's clever.
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    pakpak Member Posts: 114
    We also use a small electric heater when on shore power. We also use a battery powered fan to assist the air movement when using the Alde.
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    I use buddy heater too. Heats up the tab quick. Eats gas tho
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    I'm resurrecting this thread to mention my two fave mini space heaters.  Like all of you, we've tried the fireplace simulators, the infrared, ceramic, oscillating, radiator types ranging from 80W to 1500W.  But these are the two we now keep in the T@B.  Both have tip over protection.  For when boondocking or on shore power but you don't want to wait for the Alde to heat up, or you need the bathroom warmed up before a shower, or just in case the Alde goes out and you need a backup heat source.

1.  Honeywell 170W / 250W.  $26
    Very quiet, very small, low power, but very simple (no thermostat).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NXZ7UMA

2.  Life Smart 350W.  $30
    A little bigger but still small, a little louder, starts up at 700W whenever the thermostat kicks it on, but settles down to a stable 350W, uses a cord or plugs into wall, has remote and timer and thermostat (but only goes down to 60F).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VPD8ZF7

2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @DougH...we have the Honeywell bud too..it has a tip over kill switch on the bottom...also used a handy heater in the T@g.. unfortunately the 2021's plug locations are not convenient for it..
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,442
    Taking a cue from another recent discussion, be careful if running both the Alde and a space heater on shore power--particularly if you have only a 20A hookup. Heating elements draw considerable power and you could easily overload the campground circuit.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @ScottGYup, that's why I prefer the low power versions. They take less space, can be used when boondocking, and can be used in concert with Alde on propane or even 1kW electric if on 30A shore power if low enough power like the baby Honeywell.

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,442
    @DougH, how do you use them boondocking? Inverter? Generator?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited December 2020
    @ScottG Have 375Ah bank / 300W solar / inverter. Trying to minimize use of propane when possible.

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Doug, 300 watt or 3000 watt inverter for the space heater?
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    @Denny16 I keep experimenting with inverters, and am down to a 1500W Novopal and 300W Giandel at the moment. I use the larger one for the Life Smart heater, morning coffee routine or running air conditioner, but have used the smaller one successfully on the baby Honeywell heater, and charging laptop, drone. It's probably a gross oversimplification, but I seem to get more battery hours out of using right sized inverters for the task. I'm not sure why.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @DougH, I read somewhere (I have no idea where since I read so much!) that any inverter uses power as soon as you turn it on. The larger ones do use more power, the smaller ones much less. 

I use a 150 watt inverter (pure sine wave) for my satellite TV receiver, and I think it was large enough to charge my MacBook. It would not power my DeWalt battery charger for 20V lithium batteries (no surprise). 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    JerseyJersey Member Posts: 21
    Just got a buddy heater as well and intend to use it for startup to get camper heated up quickly then cut off once Alde gets going and up to temp.
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    I've found what others have recommended, which is to simply turn on the propane cook top for a few minutes - boil some water for tea if you like, but just having them on for even 5 mins, really takes the chill off. And it is right there, ready to use!
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    @Jersey
    Keep in mind that the Mr. Buddy heater (if that is what you have) is propane operated and will need combustion air.  If you run it in an enclosed trailer with no ventilation you could have greater problems than a chilly camper.  I have found that the Alde system (on propane or electric) warms the trailer up pretty quickly.  If you turn it on as soon as you park at your campsite it will have the trailer warm by the time you finish setting up.
    If you have a CoolCat unit in your trailer use the heat pump setting and it will start blowing warm air into the cabin almost immediately.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Doug, yes an inverter works best when paired size wise to the load.  The general rule of thumb is to run the inverter at 80% max load for best efficiency, so a 300 watt setup,is perfect for smaller loads up to 250 watts.  I use a 150 watt Goal Zero for charging phones and camera batteries, in addition to running auxiliary lights.
    cheers
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,009
    ChrisFix said:
    I've found what others have recommended, which is to simply turn on the propane cook top for a few minutes - boil some water for tea if you like, but just having them on for even 5 mins, really takes the chill off. And it is right there, ready to use!
    I agree completely.  Save the $ and the space needed to store an additional heater and just use the cook top. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    JerseyJersey Member Posts: 21
    Decided to try out the Buddy heater last night and worked better than expected.  Ran the heater and brought the interior temp up to 65F (with 2 windows open a couple inches) - only took 20 minutes, faster than I expected.  Shut it down when it got to 65F and Alde maintained 65F temp throughout the night.

Had I only used the Alde alone, which I had been doing previously up to this point, it would have taken several hours to get to 65F.  Granted, I was in driveway so plugged into a standard outlet and Alde on the "1" setting so not sure if setting "2" generates more heat.  Will have to test that next time at a campsite when plugged in to 30A.

Don't think I mentioned earlier, but I chose the Buddy heater over an electric heater because I always get nervous of plugging in space heaters due to the power draw, whether it be at home, work, etc.  Plus, I like the idea of getting heat without electricity if needed, whether it be in camper or elsewhere.
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    edited December 2020
    Jersey said:
    Had I only used the Alde alone, which I had been doing previously up to this point, it would have taken several hours to get to 65F.  Granted, I was in driveway so plugged into a standard outlet and Alde on the "1" setting so not sure if setting "2" generates more heat.  Will have to test that next time at a campsite when plugged in to 30A.
    The Alde set to "1" is 1KW of heating elements, and set to "2" is 2KW of heating elements, so setting it to 2KW heats more rapidly. 2KW can be used on either a home 20 amp circuit or on a 30 amp circuit. If you only have access to a 15 amp circuit, you're limited to using it at 1KW (although you could always use propane, which heats much faster than electric).
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    Set the Alde to both gas and electric, and it heats up very quickly.  In 1KW electric mode, it heats very slooowly....   I use gas mode or combo gas/2KW setting when I want heat quickly.
    cheers