Options

Beartooth Highway

julzjulz Member Posts: 32
Hi Everyone,
FINALLY taking my new Sofitel out for a trip. Im driving from Ketchum, Idaho to West Yellowstone for a couple of nights, across the Beartooth Highway to Teddy Roosevelt National Park and the Badlands, down to Deadwood and the Painted Hills, across to Lewis and Clark Recreation Area on the Missouri River, and finally back to Metamora,Michigan where I'll spend the summer. I'll be flyfishing the whole way.
Has anyone ever driven the Beartooth or any of these routes? If so, any issues pulling the trailer or any suggestions of where to stop or what I might look out for? This is my maiden voyage so...
If you're on the road and see me -- white Land Rover and the Sofitel, please say hi.
Here's to a great kick-off to summer,
Julz

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited May 2015
    I LOVE the Beartooth Highway!!!! I drove over it a couple of years ago with a small military trailer. It was really no different than any other mountain roads I have driven. Just make sure to use lower gears when descending and don't ride your brake. I don't remember a lot of steep descent areas, I remember a lot of gradual descending, if you are coming from Red Lodge towards Yellowstone. It will be a lot steeper descending, but you should be OK, just go slow and take advantage of the pull-offs to let people pass and enjoy the views.

I also spent a night at TRNP. I really liked it. It is loaded with Bison and the views are beautiful. Lots of chances to see wild horses, as well. It is pretty dull between Red Lodge and TRNP, apart from some pretty scenery along the Bighorn Mountains.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Thanks, Jkjenn,
    Im a little worried about the downhills. I don't have a lot of experience with the camper yet, but I should be a pro after this. 
    Looking forward to posting photos of the journey.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Just make sure your elect. brakes are working for the downgrades. I generally don't have the brakes activated unless I hit 6 degrees or more - my Jeep maintains 55 in third gear on a 6 degree. Don't recommend having them off on a lighter vehicle though. I've got a cheap brake controller and can never get it adjusted to my satisfaction except on downgrades. Need to replace it but been too lazy.
  • Options
    Good advice. I plan on shifting into manual for the downgrades and trying to stay off the brakes as much as possible. I don't know what my LR4 does in third, but I hope that kind of thing works for me. I seriously don't know why Im so nervous about this...maybe because it's my first real time out with the Rickshaw 2.0!
  • Options
    You can even put it into 4 low - I have done that once and it was super easy to descend.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    Beartooth was still closed as of last weekend. 
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options

• Options
    It is open -- I called yesterday. Thank for the info, Jenn..Im sure I'll get to try a number of gears.
  • Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    Well. We were turned around by baracades and signes on the 24th. Either way it should be open soon if not already. 
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    Thanks for the info. Im sorry you didn't get through. I hear its spectacular and I can't wait!
  • Options
    normfun said:
    Well. We were turned around by baracades and signes on the 24th. Either way it should be open soon if not already. 
    It is not unusual for a mountain pass to close temporarily after the official opening, due to weather. The difference is that they work as quickly as possible to reopen it after the official opening. Several times during my stay at Yellowstone, certain roads were closed temporarily due to weather, although they were still officially open.

If you stop at a ranger station, they should have the conditions form the Beartooth Highway.

• Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    I love the Beartooth Highway, too. It is absolutely breathtaking.  I've driven it twice, once towing.  It's really not difficult.  We spent the night at Island Lake campground at around 9400 feet.  Really gorgeous.  There is a "resort" at the top of the Beartooth Pass called "Top of the World."  It's a good stop for a tshirt or bumper sticker.  

http://www.topoftheworldresort.com
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    Thank, Lisa.  I'll be sure to stop there!
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    I proposed to my wife at Becker Lake which you access the trail at Island Lake.  Great place but the mosquitoes can be horrendous in clouds so go prepared.  The now deceased Charles Kuralt (CBS Sunday Morning) called it our nation's most scenic highway.  Have fun!

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    Thanks and what a great memory.  BTW, I met Charles Kuralt at a hotel in Durham, NC...an American treasure.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Little Kuralt tidbit - He spent a lot of time in little Ely, MN - He owned the radio station there.
  • Options
    ...an total inspiration for our On The Road lifestyle!
  • Options
    source3source3 Member Posts: 142
    edited May 2015
    jkjenn said:
    You can even put it into 4 low - I have done that once and it was super easy to descend.
    Do not put into 4wd on paved surfaces!  You can snap an axle or birfield.  I think Land Rovers have a center differential lock (CDL) button.  Make sure it is off if you drop the transmission in low and the transfer case in low.  I do not know if you can turn off the CDL in 4L.  I modified my Land Cruiser to allow this.  Not familiar with Land Rovers.
    Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• Options
    source3 said:
    jkjenn said:
    Do not put into 4wd on paved surfaces!  You can snap an axle or birfield.  I think Land Rovers have a center differential lock (CDL) button.  Make sure it is off if you drop the transmission in low and the transfer case in low.  I do not know if you can turn off the CDL in 4L.  I modified my Land Cruiser to allow this.  Not familiar with Land Rovers.
    I was on a dirt surface, put if you are gong around 5mph it could snap?

• Options
    source3source3 Member Posts: 142
    edited May 2015
    At any speed, on pavement, and in 4WD you can break parts, especially if you are making a tight turn.  In 4WD, you need wheel slip so that you do not wind up drive parts, causing failure.  Do not confuse 4WD with AWD (all wheel drive).  We are talking about true 4WD when the center diff is locked.

If you have locking differentials (different than center diff lock), make sure they are off before making a tight turn.

Some Land Rovers, Jeeps, and Toyota's come with factory differential lockers.
    Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• Options
    source3 said:
    At any speed, on pavement, and in 4WD you can break parts, especially if you are making a tight turn.  In 4WD, you need wheel slip so that you do not wind up drive parts, causing failure.  Do not confuse 4WD with AWD (all wheel drive).  We are talking about true 4WD when the center diff is locked.

If you have locking differentials (different than center diff lock), make sure they are off before making a tight turn.

Some Land Rovers, Jeeps, and Toyota's come with factory differential lockers.
    Yeah, I drive a JKU, but not a Rubi, so no lockers.