Tab 400 Propane Tank Holder (dual tank mod)

I know a few have added a second propane tank to the 400 tub, specifically inquiring as to what folks used for the older in a boondock aluminium tub? Were you able to source from NuCamp or otherwise an exact duplicate of the factory bracket or what did you use?

I want to make the mod over the winter and add a screen back also, I will have a fab shop do actual mods, just wondering if I can source an appropriate bracket someplace or if they need to build from scratch (my shop is perfectly capable of that too).
2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    You might want to see if nüCamp parts has the part number for propane bracket. I had two brackets installed when I ordered my 400.

When I needed to move the propane bracket on my T@B S Max, I did have trouble finding a welder who welded aluminum. They do seem to be scarce. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited December 2019
    Has anyone put in a smaller propane tank to save on tongue weight?  Which size/shape do you think fits the best? I have a smaller 5lb size that is the flattened out style. I was going to take it out there this weekend to see if it might fit in there somehow instead of the 20lb one. 
  • SeaLaVieSeaLaVie Member Posts: 46
    I'm also interested in adding a second propane tank in the tongue 'box'. Hoping to figure it out after the holidays. 
    2018 T@B 400
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    A full 20# tank weights 38.75# give or take a bit. The exchange tanks you get around town weight a wee less because they put a bit less propane in them (so I'm told). It's just a few pounds less than a regular tank. I'm not sure that helps. I'm don't think the front tongue box adds a significant amount of weight compared to adding the tank.

Hope this helps!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I was able to obtain a 2nd bracket from NuCamp. I have yet to get it welded in, on the list prior to camping season. I currently have a 2nd tank and the bracket in the tub just for storage over the winter.

I have the tab, a propane generator and now a fire pit, so I think having two tanks on board is going to be a benifit.
  • grsiepkagrsiepka Member Posts: 58
    @N7SHG_Ham  Can you share cost/part number etc for that bracket ? I've been thinking about doing the same.
    2020 T@B 400 Boondock Lite - 2018 Toyota Tundra Platinum - Tempe AZ
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @grsiepka I do not have a part number, called my dealer and the part was drop shipped direct to me from NuCamp. Cost was $54.65 delivered from Ohio to Oregon.

I still need to have a shop weld it to the tub, so I am guessing this mod will cost $100+ when done.