Split the seat back, or not

Hi Folks,

There have been many discussions on doing this mod, and quite a few have done it. It would be a definite improvement over the one piece back, allowing a bit more access to the storage space underneath. But, it is expensive to have it done and a lot of work as a DIY project.

So here is what we did, and it costs nothing. Since our T@B is in bed mode most all the time, we just removed the hinges all together. 

The bench back can now just slide forward or tilt back allowing full access to the storage areas. The back and seat cushions can be reversed if desired with the addition of a couple of short 2 by 2 boards screwed in underneath in the rear driver's side compartment.

If for some reason we want to tilt the back forward, we just roll up the two mattress pads and place them behind the back.

We did this a year ago and have no regrets. Give it some thought.

Here are some pics.

2016 T@B 320 Max S  "T@BsentMinded"
2009 Subaru Outback R 3.0
2022 Ford Ranger XLT Super Cab

Comments

• TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    Okay, that's pretty funny -- and brilliant! :)
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I have to agree with @TabberJohn!
    Seems we sometimes forget that simpler is often better!

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    I like it. We also leave cushions in the down position. I am going to give it a try. Thanks for posting.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    What is the board in front with the two boards making a slot for?
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• JanandDaveJanandDave Member Posts: 119
    @TerryV6

Hi. It's sort of a prototype, but so far it's my zero dollar bike rack.

With a couple of bunge cords and a little padding, it holds the front tires of two 10 speeds quite nicely. Have to be careful putting them through the door, but once inside and tied down, they stay put. Keeps most of the weight over the axle, too.

No room in the TV because of the kayaks.

• jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @JanandDave And here I thought those were wheel chocks for your airplane. 😀
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Interesting idea, @JanandDave.
    I was recently thinking about the split seat idea, because sometimes one of us is ready to sleep (me), while the other wants to read.
    So, what exactly is the function of the two boards?

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
    @BrianZ

Hi.  In the fourth pic you can see a piece 2x2 just to the right of center, and a shorter one all the way right toward the back. Their only purpose is to provide more support for when we put the split cushions in the back and the back cushion forward of them, like in the second pic. Otherwise the one on the right wanted to sort of fall in the hole a bit. The outside one is only shorter because we needed an opening there for a different yet-to-be-finished mod.

Ok, I  see now.  Thanks, @JanandDave.  I was fooled by looking at the more forward compartment which has wider support on the sides.

I'll have to see how/if this could work with our wire shelves covering the back compartments.  Maybe we wouldn't even need the extra wood supports, since we've already got some holding up the two wire shelves covering our back compartments.  I'm also thinking that since our shelves are hinged at the rear, it might be possible to use them as supports to swing up into small hooks on the back frame of the cushions, similar to how the back of an outdoor lounge chair is supported.

Amazing that nobody has thought of this before, but glad you did, and thanks for sharing.  I may have to explore this idea further.
  • CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited January 2020
    Haven't gone outside to look at framing details under the full bench (yet). How about ordering a second set of the hinges for the bench back? I'm visualizing the split bench backs having the ratcheting stops that the full bench currently posseses. Just a thought...

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
    edited January 2020
    Good question, @CrabTab.
    My wife would love that idea, as she was not at all enthusiastic about the idea of a seatback without any means of support.  I guess someone will need to first remove their current hinges & install them on the small seat bottom to see if it could work. 

A hinged back would not provide the easy front access to rear storage like being unhinged; however, by dropping/raising just one of the seatbacks, you could get easier access to the back storage area from the side than the current situation of having to dive in over the top.  And I expect that would be preferable to use the rear storage area whenever bedding is in place, than trying to raise the full-width cushion to get into the more forward storage.

How would one even order a set of hinges these days? 
    @CrabTab & @BrianZ

Don’t think it’s going to work without a lot of cost and effort. 

If you want to split the seat back and use another set of hinges, you would still need a split bench to have some room in the middle for the hinges. The back cushions also need modifying in the lower corners just to install the hinge. 

I don’t know what NuCamp charges for another pair, as with no markings on them I have been unable to locate them elsewhere. I did find these better ones, but at $375+ a pair, wow. 

https://www.tacomarine.com/hinges-latches-ratchet-hinges-h25-0016-2

Would still have to do the modifications and/or rebuild the one piece back/seat. Plus the cost of upholstery and labor.

We never put the back up anyway, and love the easy access the loose cushions provide. 

Good luck

• TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    I'm with @JanandDave on this. KIS.
    This mod is now risen to the top of my never ending to-do list. :|
    If the need arises to support the bench back, or one cushion in split mode, there are simpler ways to do that without reverting to hinges.
    In practice I think we'll roll up the bed covering behind the bench. With this mod that step will now be easy to do. 👍
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • T_BDancingT_BDancing Member Posts: 85
    Will these work on the 2 split cushions in the back like the idea from @JanandDave? Unfortunately it does not mention the handling weight.

https://www.amazon.com/Positions-Headrest-Adjustable-angle-mechanism/dp/B0848V53XS/ref=mp_s_a_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=hinges+for+sofa&qid=1586701779&sr=8-13
    Tent to trailer w/TV: 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude 3.6L
    2019 Tab 320 S Boondock Edge and get me out of NYC!!!
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    After lusting for this mod for the past two years I just had a lightbulb moment. I already own a soft stadium seat which has been stored in the basement for quite a while. I pulled it out, dusted it off and “voila!” My best solution, comfy, long paid for, multi-purpose, able to rock in it, don’t have to undo my wheel to wheel bedding, stadium seat! Just thought I’d share! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    This is very clever @JanandDave. I have always used that space in the far back and I can just get to it leaning over the edge of the couch as far as possible, but I always worry about pulling a muscle or pinching a nerve, lol.

I am not sure that the 2021 T@bs have any space back there, but I do think that those with the split back can probably easily access the far back area by laying one side flat and tilting the other side forward.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    After lusting for this mod for the past two years I just had a lightbulb moment. I already own a soft stadium seat which has been stored in the basement for quite a while. I pulled it out, dusted it off and “voila!” My best solution, comfy, long paid for, multi-purpose, able to rock in it, don’t have to undo my wheel to wheel bedding, stadium seat! Just thought I’d share! 
    I tried 2 different stadium seats and neither worked for me.

Latest attempt at a poor mans split seat is a piece of plywood with a foam pad velcroed to the back to protect the upper cabinet.  I use one of the side back cushions as the padding on the front of my "backrest".  We had cut the straps that held the back to bottom cushions previously.

Worked pretty good for our last outing.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL