Options

Importing used tab from USto Canada

We are in the looking stages of buying a used tab there seem to be very few used north of the border. We are wondering how many hoops are needed to bring one back to Canada if it were two or three years old. Has anyone on this site bought one I the states and imported it into Canada.   Thanks  Burgman

Comments

• Options
    broderiusbroderius Member Posts: 32
    That border patrol season 1 in Canada has an episode on buying a car across the border. They had to file tax paperwork and show insurance I think and pay. Id call the  border patrol office and ask.  Best of luck. Just south of the border in Spokane there are heaps of T@bs. Heck all of Washington state. 
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    Talk to your local DMV.  They should know.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    I did help in i porting a car from the US a few year back.

it can be done, but you have paper work with the US border of custom that need to release the vehicule and with canadian custom to bring the vehicule in.

get on the web, you will easely find the information and documents to fill.  If like a car, once you take possession, you will need to wait 48 bussiness days to get to the US border.  You have to pay s processing fee and then canada, you will need to pay the fed tax and then probably go for an inspection in the following weeks.

but that is for a car, trailer could be different.  But the info is outthere and easy to find.

good luck
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    @broderius
    Are you a T@B owner in the Spokane area?
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    barcarbarcar Member Posts: 8
    does anyone have info or know where to look for rules about importing a T@B from the United States to Canada?
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    A friend of mine did this, she needed clear title from US (Calif as she bought it in LA) then it took three months at the border to get all the paperwork sorted, US Custom release, Canadian Custom import paper work.   The LA dealer had buggered up some of the paperwork on his end, which was part of the delay.  The Canadian Customs office is the place to get the current info.  It can be done, you need to pay Canadian taxes, etc., and it is not a one day, or even one week, process.
    Cherrs
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    I have no idea when this guide was written, but found it searching the web with Importing a travel trailer from the us to Canada. There were other hits. https://www.paulsherryrvs.com/import-rv-into-canada-from-usa/
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    awahlawahl Member Posts: 25
    edited February 2020
    Here's a link to CBSA (Customs Canada) regulations on importing a vehicle in to Canada. 

At first glance it may be intimidating but if you read through it's fairly straightforward. There are procedure sections outlining exactly what you need. Suggest you also call the Canadian Customs office at the location you will be crossing.

Ditto for the US export side... Here's the link to the US Customs export regulations (for "vehicles") and actually - this site (from Canada's Registrar of Imported Vehicles...) provides an overview of what you need from the US side, and does not appear you need to provide advance export declaration- 

HTH

2021 T@B 400 Boondock  |  2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 3.6L V6