Just brought home my new T@B 400 BD lite

NoVaGuyNoVaGuy Member Posts: 95
edited March 2020 in Introductions
Picked up my new camper in at Sonny's RV and drove up to Fayetteville NC to train dogs for the weekend.  Spent the first two nights in the camper Boondocking.  Heating system worked great.  Stayed nice and cozy in the camper despite outside temps that dropped to the low 30's.  Bed was surprisingly comfortable.  Still have a lot to learn about the systems, in particular the Aldie system.

I have a couple of questions for the group.  I am towing the camper with a Toyota Tacoma Off Road edition.  I normally get about 19 miles per gallon.  With the camper I was getting 10-11.  I knew I would see a drop, but did not expect it to be that much.  I have the fan cover and I feel like the drive included more uphills than downs.

Also, the screens, shades on the front window seem to be loose.  When I connect the privacy shade to the screen, the screen gets pulled down.  This does not happen on the back window.  Is there something I can do to prevent this from happening?

Looking forward to getting out more this spring/summer.  
States Visited Map

2020 T@B 400 BD Lite

Comments

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited March 2020
    Congratulations and welcome to the group.
    the window shade and screen can be linked by the little white clip in the middle.  Just unlatch the clip (you will see a bit for your finger to fit under) and lift the screen up away from the curtain.  Yes my front screen pulls down a little when the shade is clipped, I think the weight of the curtain is stronger than the friction or spring clutch that holds it up.  

As for your truck mileage, mid size trucks are not normally powered as tow vehiclee, and the Tacoma Off Road is going to loose mpg when towing, especially up hill, where more power is required, lower gears and higher RPMs of the engine.  On the flat, you will see better mpg with the trailer.  

Also your tow speed can increase or decrease your mpg, I find my truck gets its best mpg towing at around 50-60 mph.  Also your truck is an off road edition, nice, and probably has a lower finial gearing that the street Tacoma TRA.  The Jeep Rubicons gets worse milage towing than the Sport series for the same reason.  When towing, you are not going to hit the same high gears you do when just driving an empty truck.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    @NoVaGuy- Sounds like your gas mileage experience it pretty typical. I have a Ford F-150 and when I am not towing and on relatively flat ground I can get 22-24 MPG when I stay 65 MPH or below.

Add the trailer and some hills - I average 12-14 MPG. 
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • NoVaGuyNoVaGuy Member Posts: 95
    Denny16, thank you for the insight.  I see how the two shades can connect.  My concern is, when I do connect, the privacy screen pulls the other screen down.
    States Visited Map

2020 T@B 400 BD Lite
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Yes, they use the same track, so it is one or the other.  I like this feature, as the day warms up, simply pull the screen down for some shade, and if the sun gets too bright, lift up the shade, and then screen retracts, all in one move.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @NoVaGuy sounds like there's a tension problem...I'd contact your dealer..the shades are already installed as part of the window unit...maybe a screw is missing in one of the corners under the caps
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @NoVaGuy I traded my beloved 2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 on a 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 3.5L turboboost last summer because of the 8 to 9 mpg in the Canadian Rockies last summer on the Tacoma....and that wasn’t even the highest part of the Rockies!  

I discovered that even though the specs to the Tacoma said it was fully capable of towing the 400, that doesn’t mean it was the best of ideas. 

With just under 80,000 miles in almost 5 years, the trade in of the Tacoma paid for half of my F-150.  I consider that rather good.

The F-150 handles the 400 very well, no matter what terrain, but I have not been back to the Canadian Rockies yet. The Tacoma did well enough in the flatter southern parts of our country. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Verna,

Thank you for the feedback.  I have had the tacoma for just over a year and would hate to trade it in, but the towing capacity issue and to be quite frank, the comfort level on long drives leaves a lot to be desired.
    States Visited Map

2020 T@B 400 BD Lite
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I was surprised, @NoVaGuy, at how smooth the F-150 ride is. I did have after-market air shocks on the Tacoma, but the Tacoma sure did have a tougher ride. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Rider is a bit tougher @Verna.  Seat length is rough on my legs, head room, and the ride itself is a bit bouncy.  Thinking of beefing up the suspension a bit.  
    States Visited Map

2020 T@B 400 BD Lite
  • treefrogtreefrog Member Posts: 95
    We have a 2019 Tacoma V6 4WD and a 2018 4Runner.  They are totally different vehicles. 4Runner is so much quieter and smooth riding. Tacoma is fun to drive, just not on long trips.
    Tacoma has the best resale value of any other vehicle.
    Only complaint about 4Runner is that the mirrors don't see well enough behind trailer and clip ons are a joke.

• DanManzDanManz Member Posts: 79
    We have a 2010 Tacoma TRD Sport to pull our 2019 400 BDL.  Mileage went from 19+ to about 12 when towing the trailer.  My problem is, I love the truck!  Realistically most of my miles aren't towing the trailer so I just live with it.  I added the Firestone air springs to the rear and they keep everything nice and level.  Enjoy your 400!
    Dan and Liz    2019 TAB 400 BDL    2010 Toyota Tacoma V6 4WD TRD Sport
    @DanManz thank you.  I was thinking of adding something to beef up the rear suspension.  I love the truck too, and it fits in my garage at work.  :)
    States Visited Map

2020 T@B 400 BD Lite
    Just remember that beefing up the suspension does not redistribute the weight.  If you want a level ride with better control maybe add a weight distribution hitch.  Then you won't be impacting the ride when not towing.  Watch this video first.  Really good info:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=359&v=XBZu39pQ8Gg&feature=emb_logo

Lots of options on a WDH.  I use the Andersen.  I found it easy to install, light weight, works great, and no spring bars.

Anyway-good luck on your decision.  
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    PNW
    @gspdx They tried to add a weigh distribution hitch.  They could not get it to fit on the BD lite.
    States Visited Map

2020 T@B 400 BD Lite
    I have a 2019 400 BDLite.  The Andersen just fit.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    PNW
  • davegctdavegct Member Posts: 18
    @gspdx; @NoVaGuy My dealer also told me that the Andersen will work on a BD Lite
    @davegct I am sure that it will.  I was at my dealer for 3 hours while the struggled to get a weight distribution hitch on the T@B.  I opted to go with a sway bar instead.  
    States Visited Map

2020 T@B 400 BD Lite
  • Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    @NoVaGuy. I have a toyot tundra best on a run is 19. With my Tab 400 best is 13. I also agree 50-60 is good speed. Easy on the go pedal.
    I have same problem with my shades. My dealer told me (have not tried yet) if you part shades and push one up and one down so you can see the furry guides- push the to one side and you will see Allen screws. He says if you tighten both sides a little at a time until with solid screen and fly up they stay put. He says just tiny movement.
    I will take pictures tommorow.
  • @NoVaGuy.  Congratulations on your new acquisition!  It looks sharp parked in your neighborhood.  

I just traded in my T@B 400, which had the same markings as yours.  It was sweet!  I lived in Northern Virginia for many, many years, in Chantilly specifically.  Yep, one of those government workers driving the Beltway.  

Enjoy your travels.  You will find folks on this forum very helpful.
    2020 Avia, 2019 Toyota Tundra, Dallas TX