Options

2020 on 320 AC removal?

I'll be getting a 2021 Boondock S soon and think we will rarely use the AC as we'll be dry camping much of the time.  To me the obvious is to remove the AC unit and tubes and use the area for storage.  I looked in a model and it didn't appear very difficult to remove it.  Has anybody else done this?  If so my thought is to make it convertible if for example we plan a desert trip with power we may put it back in.  
Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
managed by VE Smart Network

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,432
    I promptly replaced my wall-mounted unit with a cabinet, but I get the feeling that yanking the A/C in general is not a popular mod. In addition, the A/C you have is a relatively recent change so not all that common.
    You may have to be a pioneer on this one. Please report back on how it goes!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    JustGJustG Member Posts: 1
    Removing the AC unit is easy. There is a nylon strap holding it in place. Undo the strap, remove the 3 vent hoses and unplug the thermostat and the wall plug. Lift the unit out. There will be 3 holes in the floor that will have to be plugged in some fashion. one round one for the drain, one about 4x4in. square and one about 12x4in. rectangle.

• Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    Wow, thanks in the Pac NW it'll rarely be a problem until visiting the dry side and I won't have AC anyways for the places I'm planning to go.  I have to wait until mid April to pick up the trailer then we've lots of plans...
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    MarkAl said:
    Wow, thanks in the Pac NW it'll rarely be a problem until visiting the dry side and I won't have AC anyways for the places I'm planning to go.  I have to wait until mid April to pick up the trailer then we've lots of plans...
    Though, what if you decide to go to really hot areas in the future.

I've purchased s small/cheap gas generator/inverter just for those locations.  Something to cool the TaB down near bedtime.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    It will probably sit in the garage and wait for special trips to the hot/humid areas.  We don't have a good idea yet how much storage space we will need in the TV.  I was thinking maybe a pantry & less used items in the space.  From the pict it looks pretty straight forward to convert as needed. Since we live a ways from snow (1 1/2 hrs) in winter we hope to camp just below the snow or at sno-parks for easy skiing/snowshoeing.  Storage will be nice for the warm clothes needed.