Options

Our Table Mod

One of the best mods we’ve made to our 2014 Max S is moving the table legs/base forward about 2 inches.  This mod allows the table to be moved back a couple of inches. As a result it’s now easier for us to slide into the seat next to the shower and we now have a little more ‘butt room’ in the galley area.   The photographs are of the underside of the table to show where the base was mounted and where we repositioned it.  The tabletop angle cut required that the metal base mounting plate be cut and new screw holes drilled.  I cut the base with a hacksaw and jig saw using a fine tooth metal blade.

2014 T@B-S
2019 Honda Ridgeline, AWD, V6, 5,000 lbs towing capacity
Minnesota

Comments

• Options
    Spruce1Spruce1 Member Posts: 100
    Patti: I unscrewed the table top from the base and then reattached the base approximately 2 inches forward (toward the kitchen).  If you look at the pictures you can see the old screw holes to get a sense for where the tabletop was previously attached. Yes, the table is not bolted down to the floor and we can still take it outside the camper.  By repositioning where
    the base is attached to the tabletop we are now able to slide the table further back (away from the kitchen) than before.  This gives us a little more room to get into the seat that is under the AC unit.  Does this make sense? 
    2014 T@B-S
    Minnesota
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited May 2015
    Patti, he unscrewed the tabletop from the metal leg-set. Then he moved the tabletop closer to the back of the T@B, and then drilled new screw holes and reattached the tabletop to the legs-set using the new holes. Just a repositioning of only the tabletop. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    BBchBumBBchBum Member Posts: 105
    remarkable how a small change can make a big difference on access. Looks like you gained quite a bit of space to get into the seating area.  Do you find it just as stable both for using the table and as a mattress support?
  • Options
    The stability seems to have improved actually following the repositioning. The base is now centered on the tabletop which has made both the table and mattress positions more stable.  Prior to the change the base was off center front to back.
    2014 T@B-S
    Minnesota
  • Options
    BBchBumBBchBum Member Posts: 105
  • Options
    DennisHemingwayDennisHemingway Member Posts: 37
    I did away with the big table top and got a side table from a second hand shop took the top off and mounted it to the post from the original table. This gives us a lot more room to get in. 2013 T@B S.

2015 Jeep Cherokee tow Vehicle. 

Barstow, CA

• Options
    Very nice.
    2014 T@B-S
    Minnesota
  • Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    I do like the idea of a round table top, but how do you make a full, flat platform for the bed?  I have a clamshell, so the bed area is smaller and I need the entire table to make a bed platform.  Maybe that's the difference?
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • Options
    BonnieBonnie Member Posts: 6

Oh, I like the round table.  What is the diameter?  I'm going to go with this as I have been using a wooden TV tray table (take the table outside to sit coffee maker and toaster oven on..

Bonnie K

2015 T@B MAX S  TV Cad SRX

• Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    If you remove the heavy table, which most of us with Dutchmen T@Bs have, you can make the full bed with the use of bed slats.  You can find instructions here, on the Yahoo forum, and on the Facebook pages.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    DennisHemingwayDennisHemingway Member Posts: 37

twocutes, I cut plywood to fit the area where the table went.

Bonnie, It's 24".

2015 Jeep Cherokee tow Vehicle. 

Barstow, CA

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Camping World has RV sized coffee tables with lift tops. That could be a very nice solution. Or, you could get a coffee table that has storage capacity and a lift top.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    BonnieBonnie Member Posts: 6

Actually, when I am by myself, I leave the table at home and take along a collapsible computer table.  I am going on a trip in a week and a half with a friend, so when there are two of us, it makes moving it outside easier.  It is heavy for one person.  I'm going to get it modified with the leaves that drop down, so it can serve as a coffee table and/or bed support.  But, I really like the round table on pedestal!!

Bonnie K

2015 T@B MAX S  TV Cad SRX

• Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    edited June 2015

Patti, it's not too awkward to move. It's a bit heavy and you have to get used to where the legs are and that angled cutout, but it really isn't that bad. We've been taking it in and out each day we've been camping (most of the weekends since we got it the beginning of May) and it hasn't been a problem.
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!