Sealant/Goop?

Our T@B is 4 years old and has been outdoors in the summers. I would like to make sure the sealant issound around the Maxxair fan and the round black vent. What is the correct sealant?
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    I installed a maxxair fan on mine and used Dicor lap sealant which was the product listed in the maxx air install instructions.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    Cbusguy said:
    I installed a maxxair fan on mine and used Dicor lap sealant which was the product listed in the maxx air install instructions.

x2
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    Dicor x3
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 958
    When I replaced a fan in the roof of my old trailer I used eternabond tape.  I also keep a roll in the trailer in case of any emergency leaks. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    RV shops recommend the Dicor lap sealant.  It’s expensive but it flows and levels out and dies the trick.  Try using Gogone to remove the old stuff, spray it on, let it set a while and use a plastic putty knife to scrape off the old putty.  Worked well when I did it and for any silicone based caulk it really works fast.  Good luck!  👍🏻
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @Michigan_Mike in my research most folks simply add a layer on top the previous layer.

That is my intention till I can see it from the ground and it looks bad
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Cbusguy said:
    @Michigan_Mike in my research most folks simply add a layer on top the previous layer.

That is my intention till I can see it from the ground and it looks bad
    It’s been a while since I messed with any caulk on a vent cover... The first teardrop I bought never had any lap sealant installed period!  I took out the old vent cover and wired in a fan and back then they never hid a wire in the corner as they started to do later.  But agree, that will definitely work as the caulk flows in easily and conforms to any surface.  👍🏻
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    @Photomom - GOOP is not really a sealant and will not hold up to the sun/elements. use a recommended sealant. IMHO
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Geo said:
    @Photomom - GOOP is not really a sealant and will not hold up to the sun/elements. use a recommended sealant. IMHO
    I was using “goop” in the generic sense. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • RCBRCB Member Posts: 190
    When using a ‘generic goop’, caulking, or sealant; the preparation of the surfaces is paramount. Clean off all old caulking, and I mean all; then clean both surfaces with rubbing alcohol, make sure the surfaces are bone dry before applying your ‘goop’. There are some specialty caulk that recommends and has a primer that ensures the surfaces are clean by removing any chemical residues that might affect the adhesion. 

400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
  • MickiemushroomMickiemushroom Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone tried Flex Seal around the fan to fill leaks?
  • SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 410
    Also used Dicor self-leveling lap sealant prior to installing our UltraBreeze vent cover.  We applied as @Cbusguy described after first cleaning up the area where the new sealant was applied.  We used denatured alcohol to clean the surfaces.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • ckjsckjs Member Posts: 64
    Has anyone tried Flex Seal around the fan to fill leaks?
    I won’t use Flex Seal again, on any precious surface. I used it to attach a flexible solar panel to the roof. When the panel failed I uncovered ugly corrosion under ~15% of the flex seal. It had eaten through the clear coat on the aluminum.  Below the clear coat is blackened and peeling up from the skin. 

It sanded out okay, but matching the paint well enough is still a work in progress. 
    Charles & Judy, Santa Cruz, CA
    2018 T@B 320 CS-S; Alde 3020; 4 cyl 2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
  • MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 455
    This is a good thread to report what Nucamp recommends also. I haven't had ours long enough to use any but I should get something for repairs and probably by next year - crack sealing.  Sounds like Dicor Lap Sealant is tested and good. Seems the criteria of getting smaller tubes is a good idea.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network