Step Light Plug?

Hi and good morning. Saw this thing behind the step of my 2019 320 S and wonder what it is. I couldn't seem to find a post about this. It looks like a spring switch on the other side. Like a fridge's light. Light comes on when step is opened and turns off when step is closed. But I don't see any wiring around it at all. Do you find this thing on your T@B? Thank you.

Tent to trailer w/TV: 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude 3.6L
2019 Tab 320 S Boondock Edge and get me out of NYC!!!

Comments

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Interesting. I have not seen that. I didn't think the 320's ever had a step light until the 2021 models. Did you buy your T@b new?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• T_BDancingT_BDancing Member Posts: 85
    edited April 2020
    Thanks @jkjenn, it's a 2019 model and I bought it off the floor of a dealer. I could not find any info from Project2000 (manufacturer) website either. weird!
  • CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    Our 2019 320S does not have the part you are referencing @T_BDancing. I'm fairly sure our T@B was early in the year's production run, as we purchased in August of 2018. 

Hope this helps...

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    T_BDancing said:
    . . . 2019 model and I bought it off the floor of a dealer. I could not find any info from Project2000 (manufacturer) website either. weird!
    WAG #1:  Project2000 sells so many electric steps that even manual operation steps are built with a switch included to save on inventory stocking.

WAG #2:  When NuCamp added the nicer step to Boondock models and knowing that adding a step light was planned for future, they just ordered the 'with switch' style

WAG #3:  Due to WAG #1, NuCamp decided to add a step light on the newest production model T@B

@T_BDancing;  Which model number step is NuCamp installing?

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
    @CrabTab, just looked at the label I actually have a 2018 from September. Not sure that's supposed to be a 2018 or 2019. 

@MuttonChops, thank you for the info. Any idea which light I shall look for? Since it's only a switch does that mean the light will have to come with some sort of wiring to 12V or built in battery pack? Thanks again.

Not that I must have a step light. Like some people pointed out on a different discussion that a step light is not necessary when we have a porch light. I am not a very handy person when it comes to electrical stuff but if it's a plug & play then why not since the switch is already there.
  • CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    Our date of manufacture was in July 2018. Your T@B may be a newer version of the 2019 year than ours. As I understand it, they make upgrades/changes mid way through a model year run.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    Not that I must have a step light.
    . . .  not a very handy person when it comes to electrical stuff . . .
    Simple solution, buy a small flashlight.  Then you have Step & More Light when needed.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
    @MuttonChops, I know, I have tons of flashlight laying around. Thought this would be something fancy to have.

Checked all over. Looks like the factory version will have to come from Italy or UK. I may have to leave it for the later days.

Let see what else I can do during this social distancing...
  • nhmikenhmike Member Posts: 94
    A discreet step light might be nicer in the evening than the super bright porch light that lights up the neighborhood.  You’d still have the option to turn on the porch light if needed.
    2016 cs-s max
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    I mounted a motion activated solar porch light to the side of my door, under the handle. It does a good job of lighting the step and I hardly use the original porch light anymore. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    I don’t mind the porch light on mine at all because of the amber color instead of the white. Just wish it could be remotely controlled! Am I asking too much?  :s
  • WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    There might be another explanation. It's possible that some RV's have a safety switch circuit to prevent (or warn against) driving off with the steps deployed. That seems more likely to me than a step light that would be on all the time the steps are out. No reason you couldn't use it for that though....
    WilliamA
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    The 400's had a lighted step from at least the 2019 MY, the step light is on any time the step is not stowed. The pictured switch looks similar
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite