Options

Anyone installed a microwave in the T@B 320 clamshell?

Hello everyone, has anyone had success in installing a low-wattage (600 to 700 watts) microwave in the T@B 320 clamshell?  I'm not sure if this will work due to the wattage/voltage restrictions of the electrical system that comes in these units.  I went straight to the source by sending an email to NuCamp but they say they don't have an answer for me since microwaves weren't installed stock in the clamshells, and they advised me to come on here and ask.  SO.....I did a search and didn't find a discussion on this so I thought I'd start one.  Any ideas???

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,523
    TaG Teardrops have microwaves in their galley.  Do you plan to always have a 120 v hook up or use an inverter?  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    edited May 2020
    A few folks have installed one in the cabinet where the TV currently is in the kitchen. They removed the TV, cut out the facing a bit, and slid it in. Then they drilled a hole and the cord came out to plug in the existing plug on the kitchen wall. The last step is to install some finishing trim around the microwave. To run the microwave, either open the inside cabinet door for ventilation or put some decorative holes in the inside cabinet door. I believe folks have posted some pictures on the T@B Camping Trailers Facebook groups. As far as electrical issues, I'm guessing just don't try and run a hair dryer, microwave, and CoolCat all at the same time. 
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    TrishSTrishS Member Posts: 6
    Thanks everyone!  Sharon_is_SAM, I always plan to be either be connected to shore power or generator power when using the microwave. I already have a 600 watt microwave picked out to purchase from Amazon, so I'll be using one with the lowest wattage I can find.  So from what Mouseketab says, I shouldn't have to worry about upping the fuse amperage for the existing kitchen plug, right?
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,523
    edited September 2020
    The 120 v outlets are on a circuit breaker (no fuse).  So, if you wire it into the existing TaB 120 v circuits, you just need to be aware of what else you are running to not trip a circuit.  Like @Mouseketab mentions, maybe turn off the air conditioner or Alde or hair dryer momentarily while using the MV😁.  Somebody else can do the math, but you are limited to a 15 amp draw on the circuit.  Another possibility with an electrical hook up is to simply plug the MV into a 10 gauge extension cord and plug the cord into the pedestal 120 v outlet that is frequently provided in addition to the 30 amp outlet.  That way you don’t need to worry about the draw.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    TrishSTrishS Member Posts: 6
    Great idea about the additional extension cord!  That way I don't have to turn anything else off - thank you so much!
  • Options
    MarcoMarco Member Posts: 18
    I installed a microwave under the sink in my 2017 320S. Functional and wife loves it!
  • Options
    ReenieGReenieG Member Posts: 175
    @Marco I've been trying to find the thread with pics of the microwave install under the sink. Do you have any pics and specs of the size of your mw?
    2018 T@B 320S / 2020 Chevy Traverse V6 AWD / Phoenix, AZ
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I installed one in the upper cabinets of my 2007 T@B.

Attached file.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    LawyerboyLawyerboy Member Posts: 98
    We simply bring out nice air fryer we bought T Best Buy and it gives tons of flexibility in cooking and crisping etc. it rides in the tab while
    in transit and we set it in the truck bed overnight.