Subaru Ascent or Toyota Highlander

This discussion was created from comments split from: T@B Acceptable Mid-Size SUV Tow Vehicle.

Comments

• schoutschout Member Posts: 29
    We're buying a Tab 320 S, and looking for the TV to match, as it seems our current Subaru Outback 3.6r will not really do the job, based on tongue weight.  We're considering a Subaru Ascent or the Toyota Highlander.  Anyone have a preference between those?  Thanks!
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2020 Toyota Highlander
  • SubaruLouSubaruLou Member Posts: 119
    I have a Subaru Ascent and am very happy with the way it tows my 320 S. I’ve seen other people not happy with the Ascent but I haven’t had any problems. On the highway, I almost forget the trailer is back there.
    2019 T@B 320 S  |  2019 Subaru Ascent
  • HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 604
    I have a 2013 Highlander with tow package and am very happy with how it towed our original 320 and now our 400.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    I’m one of those people very dissatisfied with the Ascent, traded it in at 11 months, towing was awful. Not all have the issues I did, but I’m not alone, either. I’m sticking with our Toyota Highlander. Toyota’s hold their value longer, too. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I’m one of those people very dissatisfied with the Ascent, traded it in at 11 months, towing was awful. Not all have the issues I did, but I’m not alone, either. I’m sticking with our Toyota Highlander. Toyota’s hold their value longer, too. 
    I would choose the Highlander over the Ascent for towing.  Still not a fan of the CVT for towing, and I've had at least one Subaru in the stable since 1996.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 172
    edited May 2020
    Not sure I would pick an an Ascent for towing, or any Subaru for that matter (and we own a Legacy Limited!) . 
    Met up with a fellow T@Ber who was towing his 400 with a Toyota Highlander, and loved it , said it towed great . I would imagine it would tow a 320 with NP . Think they are rated for 5000 lbs ? His was not brand new, a few years old . Maybe a 12/13 ? 

That said , The new Toyota Highlander now uses a "modified CVT" trans . Its kind of like a regular trans that morphs into a CVT . Something about having a "launch gear" . 
    It the new Toyota Direct Shift-8AT 8-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission , that they are using in the new Highlander . 

May want to do a little research before pulling the trigger . Not sure I would feel comfortable towing with a CVT "for the long haul" .  
    2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
    2001 Chevy Suburban LT 2500 8.1 - 496ci
    2022 Jayco Jay Feather Micro 166 FBS  
    2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !  
    2021 Keystone Passport Superlight 229RK - SOLD
    2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black Trim. - SOLD
    2011 Keystone Outback 260FL 32' - 2 Slides . - SOLD

• db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Good catch @B0atguy, I did a quick Google on the Highlander and saw 8 speed AT, assumed not CVT. I will avoid them for towing, as we like to keep cars 12-15 years.

We bought the last non CVT 3.6 Outback, and even it is not suitable for towing, at least without an aftermarket transmission cooler.  Temps run way too high. We only use it for low elevation kayak camper trips, everything else is with the Xterra.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• OtiewonOtiewon Member Posts: 1
    Our 2019 tows our 320 with ease!
  • schoutschout Member Posts: 29
    Thanks for the input everyone.  We're working on buying a 2020 Highlander XLE.  

@db_cooper and @B0atguy - is it even still possible to get a mid-sized SUV without CVT?
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2020 Toyota Highlander