Options

2021 T@B 400 external storage compartment

Has anyone installed a key lock on the external storage compartment. Seems odd that there is no key lock.
2021 T@B 400, 2020 Audi Q5 
Portland, OR

Comments

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited June 2020
    @Polanskyster, are you referring to the aluminum tub on the front of the trailer, or some other storage compartment?  I don't own a 400, but I would be surprised if there is no lock on a side compartment storage door.  I did put one on my aluminum tub and can post photos if you are interested, but some folks don't like that idea, primarily because the propane tank is not supposed to be in a locked compartment (for safety reasons, and fire department access.)  I only use it when my trailer is in storage, or when I am camping and am with the trailer, but otherwise I leave it unlocked while towing the trailer.

Actually, I forgot about it, but I previously posted those photos.  They are near the bottom of this thread:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/118579#Comment_118579
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    I installed locks on my tub because I have things in there other than a propane tank.  The prohibition about locking propane compartments is an RVIA restriction not a state or Federal law.  Some localities have restrictions about driving with propane appliances in operation.  The bridge over the Houston ship channel and the Holland tunnel prohibit between NY and NJ it and I have heard the NY state thruways prohibit it also.  I can understand it in a tunnel but on a bridge?
  • Options
    PolanskysterPolanskyster Member Posts: 46
    Bayliss, I'm referring to the small compartment door on the passenger side of the T@B400.  There are 2 closing tabs but no lock.  The items stored in the compartment are also accessible by lifting up the panel under the bed.
    Portland, OR
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    Bayliss, I'm referring to the small compartment door on the passenger side of the T@B400.  There are 2 closing tabs but no lock.  The items stored in the compartment are also accessible by lifting up the panel under the bed.
    The outside storage is not accessible via the underbed panel on my 2021 T@B 400...That is a change from prior years afaik. But there is no lock on either the water access panel on the drivers side or the outside storage on the passenger side (which both use the same access door).
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited June 2020
    OK Polanskyster, can you measure the access door opening size for the OP?
      That was his original question.  Thanks.
    cheers.
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    I would answer if I had the unit.  Mine is under construction. 

Portland, OR
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    OK, thought you had taken delivery based on your posting.  Thanks
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    cottonmouthcottonmouth Member Posts: 91
    The dimensions of the compartment is 14x9.5

The two tabs would actually make 14x9 if you were attempting to put a box in it
    2021 T@B 400 BDL aka Little Joe
    2019 Tundra Crewmax aka Hoss
    SE Louisiana
  • Options
    BirdieJaneBirdieJane Member Posts: 237
    I installed a lock on our 2021 Tab 400, 
    RV Designer L327, Ace Compartment... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007H2PF1I?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
    aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    BirdieJane, Did you install the 7/8 size?  I could not get the 7/8 or 5/8 to fit in my 2021 T@B400.  Very frustrating and strange that a lock was not included.

I'm attempting to replace the non locking latch on the storage door with a tubular cam lock with a 5/8 cylinder from amazon.  This lock is the smallest I could find.  After removing the original latch I discovered replacement lock will not fit, its too large.  Any suggestions on what I should do?  I did not want to make the opening larger with a drill. Any ideas are welcome.

Portland, OR