Options

Camping in New Mexico

This discussion was created from comments split from: Did we just kill our brand new batteries?.

Comments

• Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    edited June 2020
    @xdr
    Fingers crossed for ya! And that's what this forum is all about...learning from others successes and failures. 

BTW, am hoping to get to NM and spend some time at Bosque del Apache this fall killing a million or so pixels. Have you been there during that time of year? Suggestions? 

Good luck with the Bats! 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    Lived in NM back in the 90s.  Loved the crisp, sunny winter days! And the summer thunderstorms were epic.  Didn't want to be in the mountains hiking at 3 PM or later during monsoon season.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • Options
    @gspdx Take it from your screen name you're in Portland? 

The imagery you shared sounds amazing. Only time I was in NM was for US Army missle testing at White Sands back in early 70's...wasn't exactly "epic."  ;)

My camera gear is burning a hole in its case, dying to get out, and NM is definitely on the radar. 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 261
    We always say NM is one of the most underrated states. Texas is nice but you deal with hot humid temps and mosquitoes. Arizona is nice but you are indoors for months because of the dry heat. Colorado is wonderful but when we lived there we had snow literally from Sept to June (in Monument). 
    NM has cool evenings, few mosquitoes, incredible mountains and vistas, great camping, a wide variety of terrain, a huge variety of wildlife, snow in the winter (when you should have it), the worlds longest continuous cottonwood forest, and is the Hot air balloon capital of the world!
    It’s worth coming for a visit! 
    mer 
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Options
    gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    AirBoss said:
    @gspdx Take it from your screen name you're in Portland? 

The imagery you shared sounds amazing. Only time I was in NM was for US Army missle testing at White Sands back in early 70's...wasn't exactly "epic."  ;)

My camera gear is burning a hole in its case, dying to get out, and NM is definitely on the radar. 
    Yes - Portland for now. 

OK - a story.  I was in the Air Force when I was there and have lived in new Mexico, Indiana, Mississippi, Kansas, Guam, Utah, and now Oregon.

While in NM - Kirtland AFB - a guy I worked with walked outside to smoke during a fierce thunderstorm.  The lightning was hitting hard and the rain was pouring.  One bolt flashed as the thunder rocked the building.  We looked out the window and saw our co-worker face down in a puddle under a tree. I ran out and rolled him over and there was no pulse, no breathing and blood coming out of his eyes and ears.  

Long story short he lived but we didn't think he would.  Had to be medically retired.  

Those storms are no joke!
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • Options
    @gspdx
    Whoa...no joke indeed. Moral of the story...Smokin' can kill ya!

NM looks like pretty country. Thought about the Ballon Festival in early Oct but they're booked solid for RV's.  Think I'll stick to nature photography while in the Land of Enchantment! 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,653
    The trick of the Balloon Festival is to stay away from the site, and take the buses in and out.  ABQ has a pretty good system to move all the people around from different parts of the city.  Since the "ascents" have to be early in the morning, you are there before sunrise and gone by about 11AM.  Totally worth seeing.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    @pthomas745
    Good tip. I'll check it out. 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    Grew up in Jemez Mountains, there are real world reasons NM is called Land of Enchantment, it is not marketing hype. Very special area, has everything except an ocean shore.  

Plus long rich history. Clovis man, vast ancient Indian sites, frist Spanish explorers and so much more.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    AaronCAaronC Member Posts: 57
    Jemez area is one of the greatest places I've been to on the planet! We plan to camp in NM in the fall. Any/all suggestions welcome! My brother lives in Las Cruces, but we especially love Northern NM. 
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited June 2020
    NM is absolutely beautiful. 

Very nice hot spring resort at Ojo Caliente. Great pools, good breakfast (reasonable price) dinner was ok (higher price). The attached campground was 'ok', but we realized too late that our site had recently been someone's dog outhouse for a weekend. And hiking around there is beautiful - P'osi Pueblo ruins is within an hour's hike - fascinating, Sacred place.

Also, near Abiquiu, Georgia O'Keefe had her Ghost Ranch, which has become a 'retreat and education center' with a variety of programs for artists etc. They have a small campground, with some excellent hiking trails (cool artist programs too). Amazing scenery, makes it clear that Georgia O'Keefe wasn't exaggerating her colors! There's a COE campground nearby too, on the Abiquiu Reservoir.

We'll have to return to finish our trip (cut short in March by the V closing everything down). Enjoy!
    AaronC said:
    Jemez area is one of the greatest places I've been to on the planet! We plan to camp in NM in the fall. Any/all suggestions welcome! My brother lives in Las Cruces, but we especially love Northern NM. 

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya