Options

A good place to haul a bike?

I'm having a hard time finding a suitable bike rack for my TADA/Dodge Durango combo. I bought a Thule rack that fits over the SUV hatch. Hate it. I can't use the JackIt that everyone loves over the bucket because my bike is too heavy for me to lift that high. 

But this space between the jack and the bucket seems an ideal place to put my bike, barring any interference with my turning radius. And, assuming I can find a suitable platform or rack for that space. Any input on this space to haul a bike? Thanks in advance.

Katt and Miss Cannoli the Zen Dog
2008 DM T@DA — Towed by 2014 Dodge Durango — Full time since 6/29/17
"Travels With The Tiny"

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Maybe a folding bike on a simple platform would fit there.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Me_and_My_DogMe_and_My_Dog Member Posts: 184
    Maybe a folding bike on a simple platform would fit there.
    That's an idea to consider!
    "Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @Me_and_My_Dog I’ve spent way too much time trying to figure this out for my 320S, especially since I moved the spare tire to the tongue. I decided on a folding bike instead, and as long as I’m at it why not a folding EBike. So that’s what I got! Folded it sits on the seat behind the drivers seat in my Highlander. It’s a lower end model and perfect for me! I don’t have to put the battery in, or turn it on if I don’t want to. It’s still new to me, and I’m happy with it. 

2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Me_and_My_DogMe_and_My_Dog Member Posts: 184
    @Homebodyatheart Thanks for the idea. I'm so attached to my bike, but it might just be too big and heavy to be practical for the lifestyle. Yours sounds perfect!
    "Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @Me_and_My_Dog I’m attached to mine, too. Got it before we were married, so 29-30 years? I’ve also developed fibromyalgia and thought that if I have a bad day I can use the power, or if I’m on a ride and push too hard, same thing. I’m happy with my decision!  :)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    edited June 2020
    Take into consideration that bicycles should not be carried where they get covered with gritty road wash. The headsets, shifters, drivetrains, bottom brackets should be protected and especially during the early season when there is salt washing up from the roads. Cyclists with good equipment will not use a rear mount rack because of that. Roof mounted cycles don't get the same amount of filth splashed on them but the bearings and shifters should still be protected by a cover or taped.