One brake shoe dragging

AaronCAaronC Member Posts: 57
We have a new to us 2016 320 with very low miles. Have towed 500 miles using our Prodigy RF controller, no problem. Leaving a campground yesterday, the trailer brakes locked up when we were going maybe 8 mph. Adjusted the controller to a lower setting, and all seemed fine. Then about 80 miles later, we heard a squeal when starting from a stop, which disappeared. Thought it was from another vehicle. When we reached our destination, the entire wheel and rime was HOT. We were very lucky not to have a blowout or fire. It isn't the wheel bearings, as i always check to see if there's a hot hub when we stop for gas. I think this was perhaps the brake on the driver side staying engaged. We drove the rest of the way home w/o the electric brakes (disconnected the RF controller. We still had lights, etc., just no trailer brakes. ANY IDEAS?? Thanks

Comments

• BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited June 2020
    @AaronC, have you confirmed that the pin is fully/properly inserted into the emergency breakaway switch attached to the trailer frame?  Assuming that is OK, I think the best thing you can do is have a small trailer sales/repair shop pull the wheels and drums to see what the problem is.  Also, considering the age of the trailer, I think the bearings should be checked as well.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)