Options

Sewer hose storage for 2020 Tab 320S Boondock Lite

Storing a Flexible Sewer Hose on a 2020 Nucamp Tab 320S Boondock Lite

Our trailer came without storage for the flexible sewer hose. The Boondock Lite comes with cargo platforms surrounding the propane bin, so there is no way to mount a tube along the side of the trailer hitch frame. Hanging it below the frame reduces ground clearance to an unacceptable height. So I opted to build my own storage tube that sits on top of the frame behind the propane bin. Here’s a picture of the installation (the square tube in the middle):

Parts:

·         A vinyl fence post (from Home Depot): https://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda-5-in-x-5-in-x-5-ft-Vinyl-White-Ranch-2-Rail-Line-Fence-Post-53990/202869518

·         Two fence post caps: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda-5-in-x-5-in-Vinyl-White-Pyramid-Post-Cap-73003093/202882811

·         Large zip ties: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Malco-36-in-Nylon-Adjustable-Tie-25-Pack-TY34/100520678

·         Old inner tube (I used an automotive tube, but a sturdy bicycle tube should work)

·         Rivets

·         No. 8 x ½ sheet metal screw

Cut the fence post to approximately 52 inches. Measure your particular setup to assure it will accommodate your sewer pipe and fittings. We use a 15 foot RhinoFLEX hose that collapses to about four feet. As configured, the post will hold the entire hose with its 90 degree fitting, as well as the detached sewer adapter (see photo below).

The end of the post should not extend past the side of the trailer. When you receive the fence post, you’ll see that it has slots cut in it to accommodate fence rails. These are an advantage as it allows air circulation inside the storage for drying.  

The post will be installed side to side across the trailer frame behind the propane bin, nestled between the driver’s side cargo platform and the body of the trailer.  Measure carefully to mark an opening in the driver’s side of the propane diamond plate bin just above the frame to accommodate the size of the post as it rests on the frame, approximately 5.25 in. wide x 4 in. high. Use an angle grinder or Sawzall to cut the opening in the bin (see photo below from inside the bin with post installed). Note that the cutout will be open on the bottom and will remove part of the bin's bottom brace. If you require a longer length for your sewer hose, you can make another cutout in the bin on the passenger side to extend the available space for a longer fence post.

Cut two strips of rubber about 4 in. x 1 in. from the inner tube. Nip the corners of the piece for aesthetics. Place an end cap firmly on the end of the post with the rail slots facing up and down.

To create the lower hinge for the cap, lay a rubber strip starting on the upper facet of the cap, over its top edge, and onto the post. Poke or drill holes through the rubber about ¾ in. from each end. Drill through the two holes into the cap and post, and then rivet the strip at each end. You should be able to remove the cap by slightly stretching the rubber to disengage the cap from the post.

To create the latch on the top, turn the assembly over and similarly lay the second rubber strip across the upper facet of the cap, over its top edge, and onto the post. Drill or poke a hole in ONE end of the strip about ¾ in. from the end. Cut a ¼ in. slit in the other end of the strip, about ¾ in. from the end. Cut the slit parallel with the length of the strip. Fasten the end with the hole to the cap facet with a rivet. Stretch the rubber by about ½ in. (to create tension) over the edge of the cap to side of the post. Mark the location of the slit. Drill a hole at the mark and partially insert the sheet metal screw so that the slit in the rubber strip can be locked in place over the screw. The cap is opened by pulling the slit of the rubber strip off the screw (see photo below), and then pulling the cap off and letting it dangle by the lower rubber hinge.

Feed the open end of the post through the cutout in the propane bin and slide it across to the passenger side of the bin. In the bin, place the second cap on the post and firmly shove the assembly against the passenger side bin support. Use two zip ties to secure the post to the frame on the driver’s side. Connect the ties in a criss-cross pattern over the top of the post and again underneath the frame (see photo below). Pull tight and cut the excess from the zip tie. Repeat for the passenger side.

The zip ties are sturdy and generally out of harm’s way, but you should occasionally check them to assure they haven’t broken or come loose.

Comments

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Nice job, @SolarSteve, and good alternative use of materials.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    Susan0214Susan0214 Member Posts: 20
    My husband just completed your mod with a few tweaks. Thanks so much for this! We have the exact same trailer as you and had trouble figuring out what to do with the sewer hose. We were cramming it into the propane/battery bin provided within a bag. Our next mod is to attach a smaller diamond plate box to the cargo platform to hold all the chocks and other exterior items.

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @Susan0214, your hubby did a nice job with the sewer hose storage.  Where did you obtain the aluminum box, and what are the measurements?  I'm interested in seeing how it looks once installed.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    ytram1958ytram1958 Member Posts: 20
    edited August 2020
    I really like what you did with you sewer hose set up, I considered something like yours, but this set up was easier for me.
    2017 Tab 320s Outback, Towed by a 2017 Jeep Jku, Live in Prescott, Arizona
  • Options
    Susan0214Susan0214 Member Posts: 20
    Bayliss said:
    @Susan0214, your hubby did a nice job with the sewer hose storage.  Where did you obtain the aluminum box, and what are the measurements?  I'm interested in seeing how it looks once installed.
    It is an 18” square box and he ordered from Amazon. I’ve seen others use rigid plastic boxes that would work as well - we just wanted to stick with the diamond plate. This is a front opening version rather than top opening. He is thinking of cutting a slot and lowering the box onto the cargo platform’s rear vertical “pillar”. That way it won’t stick out over the platform and will definitely be supported and integrated into the cargo platform system. Of course we will lose interior space this way. Still a work in progress. I will post when he gets it installed. Plans are to put the chocks (I think we must have the heaviest-duty chocks for our itty bitty camper!), the leveling wedge, some wood blocks, and tongue wheel and flat supports. Anything that we use outside that will fit. Previously, these items have been carried either in the propane/battery tank or the tow vehicle. Just getting that sewer hose stored is such a space saver!
  • Options
    SolarSteveSolarSteve Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2020
    Nice job on the sewer hose storage container. I'm glad you found it useful.