Options

Checking "Fluid Levels" on a newer battery.

I'm seeing people advising owners with battery issues to "check the water level" or the "fluid level' on their batteries.
If this was 10 years ago, or batteries still had covers on the cells that were easy to pop off, I'd say go for it.  But on the last few batteries I've bought, and the newer batteries in my cars, it seems that this "old skool" method has bit the dust:  those cell covers are simply too difficult to remove, it seems to me.
Is "checking the fluid levels" even possible any more?  Is it still good advice to give to a novice battery user?
2017 Outback
Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    If you have the. Ever sealed batteries, you do not check fluid or top the fluid level,off.  They are “sealed”, and are not traditional lead acid batteries.  This is one of the advantages of sealed batteries, no maintenance.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    And if you have a traditional wet cell battery--still very common with inexpensive but perfectly functional marine/deep cycle batteries--then yes, you should check the levels occasionally. 

You don't need to obsess about it, just make sure the fluid level stays above the top of the plates.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    The lead acid deep cycle Interstate battery that came with my T@B had two caps that could be pried off to check fluid level.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5