Options

Second battery

I just bought a T@B 320 S Boondock Edge. Any suggestions on how to install a second battery in the box? I moved my spare tire onto the rear rack so I can tow with my Outback and now my wet tongue weight is about 180 with a max for the Outback of 200lbs.

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    A second battery is going to add too much weight to you tongue weight, which is on the edge of being max for your TV.  Having a 200 lbs tongue weight allowance on the TV, does not mean it will handle 200+ lbs, you need to stay Below 200 lbs, 150-160 is best, you are already at 180 lbs dry, add cargo carefully, and keep you speed below 60mph.

You might consider just replacing the battery with a Lithium, which gives you the same power as two regular batteries at half the weight.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited July 2020
    I know you said "in the box", but you could consider adding a battery or two to the rear storage, then run some thick cable (4 AWG or so, depending on what your peak rate will be with the blender, vacuum, and espresso machine all running off a 5000W inverter) up to the front battery, along with an extra battery cutoff switch somewhere along the path. It will lower your tongue weight too. A couple VMAX SLR125 AGM batteries will fit fine in the back (but tie the batteries to the wood structure in that area). The SLR125 also fits in a standard tub up front should you also want to replace the stock front battery (but you'll need to add a new base plate).

Only concern will be the suitability of the charging curve if you charge two bridged batteries and one is only 75Ah but the new one is 100Ah. It's not the end of the world if they're not an exact match, but it's generally accepted practice to try and match them if possible, if you're planning to top them off from one charging device.

P.S.  Did everyone see that sweet Victron 5000W 100lb pure sine wave beast that Eamon and Bec just put in their van build?  Wow!

https://youtu.be/qQnYRcPcnLc
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max