Options

RAV4 Adventure

cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
I'm considering purchasing a 2020 RAV4 Adventure to tow my 2015 320S.  Supposedly the towing capacity is 3600.  Is anyone here towing with this SUV--what is your experience?  Also--do you know the tongue weight?  I am currently towing with a 4-cylinder Subaru outback (towing capacity 2700).  I love the Subaru-but I am looking for a smaller vehicle and a little more towing capacity.
Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)

Comments

• Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    The spec tongue weight is around 140lb, but by the time you fill the propane, battery, add water- plan on 200lbs. 
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    I test drove one and it had no “guts” no “umph!” I couldn’t imagine how much worse it would have been while towing. Just my observation. I’m sticking with my 2015 Toyota Highlander For towing but we did buy the Rav4 hybrid for round town. It has a lot of zip and great gas mileage!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    We’re you driving the adventure (3600 towing capacity) or one of the other RAVs? Thanks for your info.
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 344
    We got our T@B320 a month ago.  We'd planned to tow with a 2013 2.5 Subaru outback and got cold feet at the last moment after every Subaru mechanic we spoke to called us nuts.  We decided to trade in for a used 2018 Adventure and were delighted to find one just off lease with low mileage. 

We've been out 10 nights so far.  Not real high mileage days - probably only driven the trailer 1000 to 1500 miles. 

95 degree days- we've had rock steady engine temperature and no issues. 

A bit slow on the hills,  but I am committed to driving gently.   No issues driving Around 65 mph.  I will slow to 55 occasionally on hills.  If I used the passing gear I'm sure I could maintain speed. 

I like that it is a small car. 

I am quite happy with it. 

A little under powered though?  Fair point. But I grew up with VW busses...

Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    @YanniLazarus When you say you slow down on “hills”, how high are you describing? There’s a big difference between adequate performance in say, New England of the South versus trying to tow over the Rockies. 

(As a 3.6 Subaru Outback owner looking to swap vehicles, underpowered would drive me absolutely nuts when not towing. But I’m still struggling with the idea of a larger vehicle too.)
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    I think the big clue for this decision is that you have the larger subaru 6 cylinder engine now, and thought that was a good idea when you purchased it.  I, on the other hand, would do anything to avoid a larger engine.  the Adventure is no peppier than my 4 cylinder subaru outback.  You probably won't be happy with an Adventure.  For me -- perfect, and I wouldn't worry about towing anywhere... but I have (s)lower standards!  Best of luck to you, VictoriaP. 
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Not to be snarky, but isn't it better to have a vehicle with more capacity for towing than one that just makes it?  To me that would be just another headache/thing to be concerned about on top of all the other things to be prepared for. Just my 2 cents.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    Not to be snarky, but isn't it better to have a vehicle with more capacity for towing than one that just makes it?  To me that would be just another headache/thing to be concerned about on top of all the other things to be prepared for. Just my 2 cents.

not snarky at all! 

funny, life is full of compromises.  The Adventure was a step to reducing my headache as an incremental improvement over a subaru with the smallest "capable" vehicle I could find.  yes -- anyone who is towing a T@B320 with a relatively low tow capacity vehicle is compromising. YMMV.
  • Options
    geekmamageekmama Member Posts: 107
    I just bought a 2018 RAV4 Adventure and took my 2018 CS-S camping this past weekend. I have pulled this camper with a 4Runner, a Tundra, and a Honda Pilot before. The RAV4 Adventure was absolutely great with it. I had no problems at all. I found it easier than some of the other cars because of two things. 

One, my 2018 has a mode called "sport" which I tried and on most driving it made it easy and comfortable to tow. The other feature it has is an "S" mode which is like manuals cars. On an extremely steep hill, I put it into "S" mode and downshifted twice and just zipped up the hill.

My experience with the RAV4 and a t@b 320 CS-S says that it will be no problem at all.

Aileen, Muggles & Scout @ 2018 T@b CS-S @ 2018 RAV4 Adventure @ Massachusetts