Options

Campsite Fees?

NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
edited June 2015 in Camping & Travel
Having spent 7 months in the SW, I became acustom to certain campground fees - especially at federal sites which seemed to range from $10 to $18. From NE north, those same types of sites jumped up to a range of $22 to $28. Wonder why? Would think federal sites would be consistent. All the state, county campgrounds are higher priced also.

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited June 2015
    So are you saying that the same parks you visited have increased their camping fees?  Maybe it's due to the season, kids are out of school, more campers, etc.   The rates do change from fall/winter to spring/summer rates when the demand is higher or via seasonal camping.  Very similar to holiday rates in Florida areas to gather up more $$$ during the Easter/Christmas seasons and when the snowbirds arrive.

This is evidenced here in Michigan too as the state parks differ in camping fees, depending on where you are situated in the state.  It definitely does cause some sticker shock when they rack up the cash register.  

http://ww2.valdosta.edu/~dlscott/national_parks/fees.html
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Even Indiana has lower rates at their state parks in the off season.  November to late April (per their own words) is considered the off season.   
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Mike - No, haven't visited these sites before - Just noticed that once I headed north out of Kansas the COEs were higher priced. Stayed at three in northern NM and three across KS and they were all pretty much the same. Since then they've been higher.

Verna - Most campgrounds in NE and north are closed in the winter so no real off-season. The most northern ones in NM close also but the rates were the same as the ones open all year.

Just found it interesting - With the senior pass they're still a bargain :-)
  • Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    Speaking of camping prices, did you ever notice that we all pay the $38 for a certain site whether it is a tent, T@B or 50 ft motorhome?  And then the family bails out of the motorhome and takes over the bath house for an extended period?  That irks the wife somewhat.
  • Options
    Have noticed, too often the case - it does seem strange that a big motor coach and a tenter would pay the same.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I think a big part of it is that we don't really have BLM campgrounds east of Colorado. Those and NFS campgrounds are generally in the sub $20 range. I camped for $14/night at a NFS in Dolly Sods, WV last fall and there are some under $20 in Allegheny National Forest. It's when you start getting electric that the prices seem to go up.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I noticed all the COEs north starting in Kansas were mostly (if not all) electric sites whereas the southern ones like New Mexico were half-n-half.
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    One thing you will find is that campgounds, be it federal, state or private, are much more expensive in the North East.  I am thinking it is a supply and demand thing, there just are not as many sites available, not as much space.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Trum@nTrum@n Member Posts: 34
    This was Truman Lake in MO when we rented the T@B in April. Mo state park fee with electric is $22. Very nice spread out campgrounds.
  • Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    Super helpful information all!  However, I got lost in some of the acronyms, so I thought I would post them if anyone else didn't know.

NFS = National Forest Service
    COE = Corps of Engineers
    BLM = Bureau of Land Management
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual