Options

Cassette toilet

Took our brand new 2021 320CSS out last night for it’s maiden voyage. Here is what we are seeing. When we fill the toilet bowl with water it just leaks out in about 10 seconds. It does not go into the tank but runs into the compartment for the cassette and leaks out onto the ground. The person who did the walk through said to remove the rectangular  cover from the top of the cassette that covers the receiving hole. The manual for the cassette does not say anything about that piece. I am hoping someone has some insight to what may be the issue.

52 nights

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited August 2020
    I wish I could remember what, but my dealer did something to prep it for use. Email tech@nucamprv.com and they should be able to help you.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @jkjenn, I corrected the link to Creed (NüCamp's tech) on your post for you. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    AddisonAddison Member Posts: 56
    Are you removing the retangular piece before sliding the cassette toilet in? This could be the issue, there is an arrow on it to match up so you put it on correctly, let me know?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock | 2021 T@b Nights: 40  | 2019 Honda Ridgeline | NuCamp owner since 2017
  • Options
    KentsbKentsb Member Posts: 67
    Addison said:
    Are you removing the retangular piece before sliding the cassette toilet in? This could be the issue, there is an arrow on it to match up so you put it on correctly, let me know?

Yes, I am removing the rectangular piece. You confuse me with the second statement. If I am removing it why is the arrow relevant? Why am I putting it back on?

52 nights
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Kentsb said:
    Addison said:

Yes, I am removing the rectangular piece. You confuse me with the second statement. If I am removing it why is the arrow relevant? Why am I putting it back on?
    It needs to go back on. If it is on and aligned correctly, it should open and close when you open the gate at the toilet by turning the handle.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Yeah sorry it needs to be on, I only remove mine after its been dumped and I'm home to spray it out a couple times with a hose
    With it on, is it working now?
    2021 T@b 320 Boondock | 2021 T@b Nights: 40  | 2019 Honda Ridgeline | NuCamp owner since 2017
  • Options
    It seems to be working ok now. It is not easy to get the-securing  latch to fall into the groove and click into place. Once I did that it did not leak. Heres hoping. Leaving tomorrow for a 5 week trip in the western US.

52 nights
  • Options
    Mine has never leaked a drop
    Remember to put some chemicals in it to stop the smell 
  • Options
    Addison said:
    Mine has never leaked a drop
    Remember to put some chemicals in it to stop the smell 
    Yes, and you will want to add some lube to the seal a few times a year.

• Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    All this cassette toilet talk makes me jealous!  Back in our popup days, we really appreciated the flexibility of having a cassette toilet.
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    On the 5 trips we've done since getting the trailer. They've all been 3-4 days AND we've never had a trailer so my observation is as a novice. We use eco-safe soap from our tenting days so the whole dump thing is irrelevent. I get home, and while cleaning out the trailer, I drain the gray water into the adjacent woods and one trip with the cassette to the toilet and a second after I rinse the tank. I'd think different if I couldn't or would not want to dump the gray water at home and wanted to dump the gray at the campground. Thinking back I've only been to two campgrounds that had a dump station.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    Well good things don’t always last. Mt cassette is leaking again and I am only 4 days into my 30 day trip. This time it is not just leaking fresh water. So sad. NiCamp was stumped when I asked them for help. It also sounds like no one on here has had the problem. If any one new to this thread has any ideas I would lime to hear them.

52 nights
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    @Kentsb, I know you are on a trip, but your first contact needs to be with your dealer. If you feel you have a defective part, and if the dealer can’t help, please contact warranty@nucamprv.com or call nüCamp (phone numbers on the left under contact info) and ask for the warranty department. 

I don’t have my 2021 T@B S with the cassette toilet yet, so I can’t help you any more than giving you the warranty info. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    I am trying to make an appointment with a dealer in Idaho Falls. They do not answer the phone and the recording says it is not set up to take messages. We shall see. My dealer will call me back once and if I do’t or can’t 

52 nights
  • Options
    Tell us the details of the leaking, I've been out over 25 nights in my 2021 320 BD
  • Options
    Read the first post in the thread for details. 

52 nights
  • Options
    Could you take some photos of how your cassette is set up and where it is leaking?

• Options
    @Kentsb is the piece still off of the cassette?  It should be on the cassette,  I thought that was understood? If you are looking for help from other 2021 owners, you need to explain more....
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Verna said:
    @Kentsb, I know you are on a trip, but your first contact needs to be with your dealer. If you feel you have a defective part, and if the dealer can’t help, please contact warranty@nucamprv.com or call nüCamp (phone numbers on the left under contact info) and ask for the warranty department. 

I don’t have my 2021 T@B S with the cassette toilet yet, so I can’t help you any more than giving you the warranty info. 
    I don’t want to hi jack this thread, but @Verna what do you mean you don’t have your 2021T@Bs?
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Hey, @Dalehelman and Sandy!  I sold my 400 and I’m waiting for my 2021 320 T@B S Boondock to be “born”!  The 400 was too large for me if I wasn’t living in it, so I decided to downsize. I’m happy with my decision!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    @Verna
    Welcome back.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 258
    I know this is quite late, but I may have a solution to your issue.  I had an issue this weekend (the first time we tried the toilet).  Ours leaked as well.  So I brought it home, cleaned everything, then tried to figure it out.  It was obvious that the cassette was not sealing against the bottom of the flange on the toilet.  What I'm guessing is, while driving, the small green clip that holds the cassette in place must have popped out of position.  Without this, there is no pressure to seal the cassette.  Even when I re-set it, it did not seem to latch securely.  What I discovered is that there is a rectangular plate covering a small sump in the bottom of the cassette tunnel.  It doesn't seem to serve any purpose and it seems to prevent the clip from engaging fully into the slot.  When I removed the plate,bthe green retaining clip seemed to engage much more securely.  I wonder if the is the rectangular piece that your dealer mentioned.  Below is a photo of the bottom of the cassette opening with the rectangular cover removed.  
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I know this is quite late, but I may have a solution to your issue.  I had an issue this weekend (the first time we tried the toilet).  Ours leaked as well.  So I brought it home, cleaned everything, then tried to figure it out.  It was obvious that the cassette was not sealing against the bottom of the flange on the toilet.  What I'm guessing is, while driving, the small green clip that holds the cassette in place must have popped out of position.  Without this, there is no pressure to seal the cassette.  Even when I re-set it, it did not seem to latch securely.  What I discovered is that there is a rectangular plate covering a small sump in the bottom of the cassette tunnel.  It doesn't seem to serve any purpose and it seems to prevent the clip from engaging fully into the slot.  When I removed the plate,bthe green retaining clip seemed to engage much more securely.  I wonder if the is the rectangular piece that your dealer mentioned.  Below is a photo of the bottom of the cassette opening with the rectangular cover removed.  
    Just went out to the trailer to test your idea. Interesting discovery. Two days ago I emptied the cassette and put in fresh water and a new deodorizer bag. Just now when I opened the door I could see evidence of leaking and not fresh water. The unit has not been used since I emptied it. I wonder how it leaked and where did black water come from. I have an appointment with the dealer on Wednesday to have this and about 8 other issues looked at.  If I learn anything I will be posting. Have you contacted Nucamp or your dealer with the issue? 

52 nights
  • Options
    Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 258
    @Kentsb
    I haven't spoken to my dealer yet...I just discovered this today.  After removing that plate, I have tested the toilet with fresh water a number of times and it seems OK.  I will let them know so it's on my record.  I was a little concerned because when I was testing it, I actuallly got some water inside the cabin, from under the bathroom door wall..not sure how that happened.  I dried it thoroughly, but still don't like the fact that there is a water path into the cabin.  I'll keep you posted.  Thanks!
  • Options
    kmweisekmweise Member Posts: 7
    Hello... just back from our 2 week maiden trip with our 2021 CSS and found that each time we emptied the cassette toilet there was some minor leaking/splashing visible in the compartment.   It wasn't a ton but enough that we have noted it for repair.  We also noticed the rectangular plastic white top over the tub and wondered what it was for.   I am not really thrilled with having to stick my arm in the cassette holding tank to 'clean' up the splashes...   Will continue to monitor this thread and once we get it back into the dealer for the fixes will update if an resolution hasn't been posted.   
    Otherwise known as - No Nokn
    2021 T@B CSS Boondock Grey/Black (Prior Model 2005 320CSS)
    TV: Toyota Highlander
    Pacific Northwest

• Options
    easttntabeasttntab Member Posts: 48
    Those of you that have expressed concern with water the compart of the cassette, here are a couple observations  of mine. I have had my 2021 CSS for about 2 weeks and very pleased with it. But I did notice that the toilet (where it sits between both walls) wasn't  calked. When you shower water would find its way to sleep between  the toilet  and wall. When you sit on the toilet  to shower the seam between  them opens up alittle. If you remove the cassette from the Tab, place a bright light in the compartment  and close the compartment  door. If yours isn't calked or chalked well, when you go into your bathroom, you will see the light from below. I calked with Dap calk made for plastic ( the latex calk would not adhere  to the plastic toilet). This fixed my water issue of being  in the compartment.  
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    @easttntab Excellent observation, I haven't seen water yet and haven't used the shower. I will inspect this joint and seal if necessary as I doubt it's good to have water leaking through the floor even if it's not wood.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    edited September 2020
    @easttntab...if you caulked on the window wall and the door wall how will you access your glycol?...there are 2 buttons hiding the screws that hold that panel in place...you need to be able to remove that panel...thinking a short shower curtain may be the solution to water getting...hmmm.
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I am not going to do any repairs to my new trailer while it is under warranty. I paid a lot of money for it. Somebody needs to make it right, just not me. 

52 nights
  • Options
    easttntabeasttntab Member Posts: 48
    @ontheroad, calking the side walls shouldn't  be an issue in removing the back panel. If I needed to remove alittle calk that's easily done and reseal.