Options

Cassette toilet

2»

Comments

• Options
    JabGopherJabGopher Member Posts: 63
    I also get some water in the compartment, but I figured that's always because I leave a bit of water in the toilet with the flush valve closed when not in use ... and then always forget to "flush" the excess water into the cassette before removing the cassette to dump!
    2021 Tab 320 S Boondock | 2021 Ram 1500
  • Options
    TerryHutchinsonTerryHutchinson Member Posts: 45
    Well if that water is coming out of the toilet bowl and dripping into the cassette compartment, it is an entirely unacceptable outcome.  
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @easttntab can you post a picture of where you caulked?
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    easttntabeasttntab Member Posts: 48
    @ontheroad, l'll try to get a picture posted when I get my Tab back from the dealer. Took it in today to have the aluminum  rack mounted on the tongue. Anyway, I calked up both sides from the floor and across both sides. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    GorgoldGorgold Member Posts: 1
    Kentsb
    What was your final resolution? What fixed the leak?
    Have had the same problem, the toilet leaks out in front of the bathroom door on the floor. 2021 t@b 320S. Leaks into the cassette compartment. A smelly mess.
  • Options
    KentsbKentsb Member Posts: 67
    Gorgold said:
    Kentsb
    What was your final resolution? What fixed the leak?
    Have had the same problem, the toilet leaks out in front of the bathroom door on the floor. 2021 t@b 320S. Leaks into the cassette compartment. A smelly mess.
    The dealer replaced the gasket seal on the toilet. Worked much better however not perfectly. 

52 nights
  • Options
    feministravelersfeministravelers Member Posts: 10
    edited July 2021
    jkjenn said:
    Addison said:
    Mine has never leaked a drop
    Remember to put some chemicals in it to stop the smell 
    Yes, and you will want to add some lube to the seal a few times a year.

Hi @jkJenn- what type of lube and what seal are you talking about? Your videos were definitely the ones to convince me to get the cassette toilet so I 100% trust you and want to make sure I take the necessary precautions to keeping my cassette's long life! Thank you!
    2021 T@B320S Boondock 
    TV: 2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Based in Tacoma, WA
  • Options
    Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 266
    edited July 2021
    See my post and picture on the first page of this chain.  I am convinced that the cover plate over the sump was the culprit in my case.  It definitely prevented the cassette from locking into place and I see no real function for it.  Also, I don't believe that you are supposed to leave standing water in the bowl between uses.  I purchased this seal conditioner: 
    https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-Toilet-Lubricant-Conditioner-24-36663/dp/B002NSU0ZW/ref=sr_1_3?crid=24UA11K4DA7PG&dchild=1&keywords=thetford+toilet+seal+lubricant+and+conditioner&qid=1626262504&sprefix=thetford+toilet+%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-3
  • Options
    Da_BirdsDa_Birds Member Posts: 126
    I purchased a Thetford Curve portable toilet for tent camping many years ago. I can't find it now but I read that if you use Thetford brand liquid digester it contains conditioners and lubricants for the seals. I don't know how true this is but I've been using the digester as you would use conditioner for at least 5 years now and the seal is still like new. I'll probably get a bottle of the seal conditioner for my T@B at the end of this season but in a pinch I would lube the seal with digester if there was any sticking. I also read that vegetable oil will work in a pinch. I know that's commonly used to condition o-rings but I never tried using that.

2021 T@B 320CSS Boondock - "Chirping Bird"
    2018 Chevy Colorado - "Dad's Truck"
  • Options
    nbrandtnbrandt Member Posts: 63
    Thank you for this thread.
    I need to chime in.  We have a 2021 CS-S (non-boondock).
    Used it on a three week trip late last summer.  I will admit that the cassette toilet was not used for #2.  It seemed to function just fine.  I emptied it where we could - not every day.  Again, everything seemed to function just fine.
    Another trip early this summer and though it wasn't used heavily, all was fine.
    Then late July we put it to the test.  Circumstances forced us to travel a number of miles before we found a place to empty it.  I will also admit that it was close to being full - not overflowing or anything, but I am going to guess that it was 3/4 full.  Things were a mess.  I rinsed the cassette several times, knowing that I would also need to do a deep clean on the inside of the compartment as I got home.
    Very surprised when I got home as the toilet was not used at all after I had dumped earlier in the day and while the inside of the cassette was empty - the inside of the compartment was a terrible mess and leaking.  I thought, "Where is this coming from?"
    Long story short, I finally opened the small compartment pictured by Basil (see above).  It was full of black water and was obviously splashing everywhere as we drove recontaminating the compartment.  That was a surprise.  Didn't know I should be paying attention to that compartment.
    In sliding it in and out several times, I noticed that the lid did not sit well on that compartment (and yes it has a couple of nubs that only allow it to be put on in one way).  Not sure of the purpose of that lid.  It has no seal to prevent liquid from entering it.  Not real sure of the purpose of this small compartment in general.  Is it intended to catch accidental spills?  It does a good job of that.  However, it is a real challenge to clean.  And after cleaning it, it seems as though there is some sort of hole at the bottom that is plugged and there is no obvious way to drain it. 
    Since then I have been paying close attention to that compartment and it hasn't collected anything.  So I don't know if that whole cassette was not seated correctly the one time we really put it to the test. 
    I am beginning to think that the rectangular white lid is not needed at all and the whole cassette might slide in and out easier if it wasn't there.  I could not find any documentation that talked about this in my materials.  The whole cassette system was so new to the dealer as we originally picked it up that they didn't know much more than we did.  So we are flying by the seat of our pants. 
    This compartment does make some logical sense, but it would be better if a person could empty it easily and one would never want to drive around with it black water in it. 
    Awaiting your experiences as well.
    I have to say though, I really do like the whole cassette system (other than the one time it created the great mess).  It is better than the tribulations of a black tank. 

• Options
    I've used ours 4 times but as I mentioned above, I have used a Thetford Curve portable toilet for years which is very similar. The first time we used the T@BS cassette toilet it was just at home to test it to make sure everything worked and so I could test removing dumping etc. The second was an overnight test trip parked at a family members home. We had 4 people using it and we filled it about 1/2 way. Drove it the short trip home and dumped it. There was no leakage upon removing the cassette at home. The only issue I had with leaking was that I pushed the vent button before I had tipped the cassette to start dumping. This caused a little black water to leak out onto my (thankfully gloved) hand and floor. So always make sure you start dumping before pressing the vent button!

The 3rd trip was a long weekend and we really put it to the test. When we headed out it was full....I mean FULL! It was about 1/2 mile drive to the campground dump station but no leaking or any issues. Dumping was much easier with my newly purchased "Americanizer"!

If you don't have one GET ONE!

Our last trip was a lot like the 3rd but we didn't fill it as much. Again just a short trip to the dump station but no leaking.

I'm not sure why some are getting leaking issues. All I can tell you is what I do. After dumping/cleaning and before putting the cassette back in the compartment, I close the black dump valve with the knob/lever on the cassette that is engaged when you open/flush the toilet inside. Then I slide the "flat lid" back on. When I insert the cassette I ensure it is locked into place by giving a tug on the handle to make sure it doesn't pull out.

If I'm setting up I'll open and close the valve a couple of times to make sure the valve is opening and closing as it should. I'll dump my liquid digester in the bowl with the seal closed and then open the valve partially and flush until all digester it out of the bowl and in the tank. As discussed above I had heard liquid digester has seal conditioners and lubricants in it so I like to get this on the seals and valve. We keep the valve open for #1 and rinse bowl with a flush of water then close the valve. For #2 we keep the valve closed with a "pump" of water in the bowl. Then open the valve and flush before closing the valve again.

The flat lid, I believe, is only there because valve is/can be "dirty". This lid seems to just covers the dirty valve until you can dump and clean the cassette. The black valve is what seals the black water in the cassette.

My suggestion is to fist make sure your valve is closed before sliding on the flat lid and inserting the cassette into the compartment. On my Thetford portable toilet you can't place the bowl on the black tank unless the valve is closed so I'm already use to making sure it's closed. I assume this is obvious but make sure your valve is always closed unless you're using the toilet.

Make sure your vent button is not stuck open. It's spring loaded and should seal once you let go of the button. I would fill the cassette with water at home and roll it around, shake it etc and see if you can see any water leaking. If any water leaks something is wrong with your cassette.

1- Vent
    2 - Valve knob/Lever
    3- Flat Lid
    4 - Valve

• Options
    edited August 2021
    One other thought....

Make sure you wipe the inside of the bowl and valve inside before removing the cassette. Some water can accumulate on top of the valve after you flush and close it as water continues run off/down the bowl. If there is water on the valve it could potentially spill when you remove the cassette. The flat lid will not hold that water in.

I'm very conscious of what is stuck or laying on the top of the valve and try to keep that as dry and clean as I can.

***Edit***
    Many leave water in the bowl at all times to help seal odor in the black tank. I don't do this because it wastes water. I guess if I ever had an odor issue I would try keeping some water in the bowl. My thinking is if the seal can hold water in the bowl then it shouldn't be letting odors escape out either.

• Options
    I recently had to dump my cassette at home and took that opportunity to take a closer look at it and clean it thoroughly. The flat lid does press up against the seal and will hold any water etc in. I also noticed you can remove the entire top (valve etc) to get a good look inside and give it a good cleaning.
    There's a good discussion that shows the correct "settings" before inserting the cassette and shows the arrows for removing the top:
  • Options
    scott14scott14 Member Posts: 134
    jkjenn said:
    Addison said:

@jkjenn What lube do you use for the cassette toilet seal?
    Thanks,
    Scott Stephenson
    Scott / 2022 T@B 320S / 2019 T@B 400 / 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ / Northern Illinois
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    scott14 said:
    jkjenn said:
    Addison said:

@jkjenn What lube do you use for the cassette toilet seal?
    Thanks,
    Scott Stephenson
    Spaworks Lube Tube

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    My suggestion is to throw away that stupid lid inside the cassette compartment.  Mine prevented my new cassette from seating properly, and it leaked.  The stupid lid is only a cover for the stupid little storage box  under it (manufacturer says that is for storing cleaning supplies/treatments, etc for the cassette).

Then occasionally lube the toilet seal with silicone grease or one of the products mentioned above.  Wipe out the compartment after a trip with a rag and some spray cleaner to keep it clean.  Make sure the cassette is empty and rinsed out good, add chemical if you want but not needed.  Simplicity, easy use and cleaning, is the advantage of this cassette system.
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    scott14scott14 Member Posts: 134
    @jkjenn - Thank you!
    Scott
    Scott / 2022 T@B 320S / 2019 T@B 400 / 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ / Northern Illinois
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 381
    jkjenn said:

Spaworks Lube Tube
    Hi,  Where do you put the lube?  On the outside circular ring seal or the top of the sliding seal/disc...or both.  Thank you
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    To resurrect this thread, we have @jkjenn comment on Spaworks and Thetford's own lube for the seal, the big seal is easy to lube but the manual lists others (probably button for sure).  The manual says no Vaseline or vegetable oil but apparently nut oil is okay. I haven't seen details on how to lube the others. Anybody have a link or details for getting to the others? Since mine is used I'd prefer not to disassemble more than I need to...

Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network