Options

T@B400 Door PLASTOFORM Window Popped Off

Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
Its' been a while since we've posted.

Our 2019 T@B Boondock has moved from the freezing temps of a Wyoming mountain winter to the high temps of the Utah desert and one morning the long narrow window on the door simply wasn't attached at the top.   My guess is the sealant has failed due to temperature extremes.  After trying very hard to find any reference on the internet for appropriate sealant/adhesives to use on this plastic to fiberglass bond, and no response yet from nuCAMP, we are looking at the 3M 4200 sealant/adhesive.  On one hand, the RV experts use butyl tape on RV window installs but those have mechanical fasteners so the butyl is acting as an easy-to-install sealant.  On the other hand, its seems universally accepted that silicone just isn't the right product for the Plastoform plus it doesn't have adhesive properties.  Normally I'd just use 5200 and be done with it but should that window fail in some way and have to be replaced in the future, it would delaminate the fiberglass shell layer.  So, 4200 is a step down but still has adhesive properties.

Hoping someone here has experience with this and can offer suggestions.  Otherwise, this post, and the solution, will serve as a reference for the next person.

(Edited for photo size.)

F150 Pulling 2019 T@B400 BDL

Comments

• Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    I agree with your choice of 4200. My experience with 4200 is that it adheres and seals well and if you need to remove it at a later date you can. While 3M 5200 is great for permanent installation it is risky if it needs future removal. I have had much more experience with marine application than RV but if it works well on the water it should down the road. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited August 2020
    Wasn’t the window originally held in place by the rubber gasket going round the outside of the window?  Similar to how auto windshields are installed.  That said, nüCamp buys the doors already made up from a European source, probably the windows are pre-installed.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    edited September 2020
    The black caulk around the round windows on my 400 separated from the window and the window leaked when I washed the T@B. My model has black decals in the side in which the windows are centered. Austin said the black decals move and causes the separation. They cut a 1/4 perimeter around each window and recaulked with white caulk so it shouldn't separate. This may be your issue too. 
    2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    @jimcenname - The problem is the word "caulk"   Caulk is not an adhesive which is my problem.  The window has separated.   It didn't leak, it just fell off.   Spoke to the factory and they were going to look into it but so far haven't heard back.  We are going to move forward with the #4200 and see what happens.  Will post back with an update down the road as to adhesion.
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    @Awca12a I checked the window on the door of my 2018 400 after reading your post and found some separation at the top.  I also checked the portholes and found some minor separation at the graphics.  I used black 3M 4200 to seal the upper Portholes and eased some in the door window and sealed the upper portion.  I removed the portion of the loose rubber seal and replaced it with the 4200.  The repair looks good and due the 7 day cure time, it should be all set for my next camping adventure in 9 days.  I thank you for the post.
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    Heard back from Creed at the factory and they recommended we use the 3M VHB tape.  
    After due consideration, we've decided against this course of action for a couple of reasons.  First, the tape is an adhesive and not a caulk.  You can't caulk due to the rubber seal.  So what you need is a adhesive sealant which is what the irregular shaped black stuff was. 

WILD GUESS - My take on the photos above is that the factory worker ran out of black goo and instead of going back over the area where the tube ran out, just started where they left off.  That left a thin section which failed and spread due to vibration, etc.   

So, we will be using 3M 4200 as the adhesive sealant and will report back over time.
    For those looking for the factory option, they recommend 3M VHB.

YMMV
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    According to 3M, VHB tape , “Produces a strong waterproof bond on most surfaces. All acrylic construction gives 3M VHB RP extraordinary strength, conformability and versatility. The composition of 3M VHB RP resists UV and weather damage, making it a great solution for outdoor applications.“

So sounds like it should adhere and waterproof the window back in place.
    That said, surface prep is the key to a good bond and seal.
    cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    NCNativeNCNative Member Posts: 95
    I recently had the same issue with the window popping off my door. I took it to the dealer and they resealed it with materials and caulk from NUCAMP. I was wondering if I was the only one with this problem. 
    N@VENOTSE
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite   
    SF Bay Area
  • Options
    jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    edited January 2022
    Update: I bought 3M tape and removed and repaired the window in the door of my 2019 T@B400. As experienced by others, my window separated from the door. I bought the tape on Amazon and some silicone caulk at the hardware store. Cleaning the old goop off was the hardest part. All told, it took less than two hours. 

previous post: Today I found the lower portion of the window in my T@B 400 door separated from the door as others on the post string have. Thanks for the prior research. Repairing will be a little easier with that research done. 

2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    edited April 2022
    So today while washing my camper, I discovered the window in my 2020 Tab 400 door has detached at the top and the bottom of the window as well!  Grrrrrrrrrrr.
  • Options
    goforthgoforth Member Posts: 8
    Just picked up a 2018 Tab 400 on Saturday.  Put me in the camp to find the door window separated at the bottom.  Quick run to ACE hardware to get clear Gorilla tape.  Our adventure to traveling back to Texas from Indiana pick up continues...
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    I’m back in business after removing all old caulk and sealant, then applying the 3M tape, and after sticking in place, using black silicone caulk around the edges. I did note that the interior trim around the window stuck out beyond the outer door surface at the bottom of window opening, which prevents the glass from laying flush. I used a very sharp wood chisel to pare down the edge of the trim so it wouldn’t stick out before I put the window back in.