Options

Hi from Iowa

iowamviowamv Member Posts: 3
I hope it is o.k. to lurk in this forum. We do not own a T@b, YET. But I'm pretty sure we are headed in that direction. Here's our situation:

My wife and I took our kids tent camping every summer for years and years. We had a blast, lots of great memories from those trips all over the country. My wife is a teacher, I'm a college professor. So we have ample time in the summer for adventures. AND, our youngest just went to college. See where this is going? We're already dreaming about spending time traveling together, just the two of us, especially while we're reasonably young and active. And we've had discussions of T@b trailers that we've seen on the road over the years, and really like them. So... we're not going to buy anything immediately. My goal is to spend time reading and learning as much as I can (and dreaming!), so that we know what we're doing when we make the investment and get started. It could end up being a couple years before we pull the trigger, but who knows? I'm certain that 1) we want to travel the country, and 2) our tent camping days are behind us.  :)

So I'll be reading and learning from all of you good people, soaking it all in, trying to live vicariously through all of your adventures, and being just a bit jealous. We'll get there soon.

Mark

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    Welcome!  You are smart to learn all that you can as part of your decision making process.  We did the same and as a result, we had no regrets!  A bonus is that you will be able to receive your TaB and immediately go camping.  It is good to be at least as informed as the dealer.  Good luck with your TaB education and don’t be shy with questions.  Lots of good TaB teachers here on the forum.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    TresK3TresK3 Member Posts: 65
    Welcome @iowamv.  It sounds like my wife and I have been on the same journey as you, just a few years ahead.  We've done tent camping; I've done a lot of backpacking.  We'd talked about trailers for several years, but began seriously looking when our youngest started their final year in college.  We stumbled on a Tab at a Airstream dealer in Columbus, OH.  I fell in love immediately and within 6 months we'd found a nice used 400 BDL to buy.  We have a few short trips coming up, and we're planning a longer one over Christmas break (I also teach at a university). 
    You can look forward to lots of tab-ventures.
    2019 Tab 400 Boondock Lite
    2017 Dodge Durango AWD with Tow Package IV
    A can of Skyline Chili in the pantry
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited September 2020
    Welcome @iowamv! Nothing wrong with 'lurking', we did it for more than a year on this forum (after we owned our T@B). Biggest advantage being a member, of course, interacting and getting answers to your specific questions.

I think many of us are on a similar path, lifelong tenters that want or need different accommodations to continue a lifestyle. I knew that a trailer was in our future when I woke up in the front seat of our Subaru at the rest stop just south of Moab, UT with a terrible kink in my neck (was getting too old for this). We spent several years it seems trying to find a best fit for our needs. 

We tend to be 'drifters', frequently moving on to the next place we want to experience. Our 320 is perfect for that. It is capable of full self-sufficiency, when needed. Sometimes we don't even unhook and put down the stabilizers 'cause we are headed out in the morning (can't do that in a tent). And no more went tents being folded up!

Lastly, you'll really enjoy when you can retire and are no longer tied to the school calendar, when places are busiest. We're really enjoying weekdays for short trips too.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,653
    My favorite baseball saying:  "Its what you learn after you know it all that counts."  (Earl Weaver).
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi