Options

leaking black water tank

I have a 2014 T@B 320 and after a week long state park visit, came home cleaned and sanitized the black water tank. A couple of days later a plate sized water leak was discovered coming from the exit pipe of the tank. I communicated with nuCamp about a schematic to help with the repair but apparently one does not exist. I did hear back quickly so I appreciate that part. There was some uncertainty from the tech people about how the pipe was fitted to the tank. If it was a spin on (their words) just the pipe could be replaced but if it was glued onto the tank, it would require a tank replacement along with the pipe. This would make it much more expensive to repair. Does anyone know how this pipe is attached to the tank for this model year? I would have thought nuCamp would have known but they did not regarding this particular model, the 320 S. Please see the attached photo and I hoping that someone has the answer.

Comments

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,511
    @AldebaranJill do you know?
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    eeeckmaneeeckman Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem.  Another thread said the elbow is glued to an abs nipple on the bottom of the tank.  I pried all the caulking away and am trying to remove the elbow but no luck so far.  Local dealer wants 16 hours of labor to pull the tank from the inside and then determine how to fix.  
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Looks like a glued fitting to me.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Unless you're sure it's the black tank (ie: smell or some other telltale), you might want to look in the compartment that has your freshwater pump (behind the toilet). 

Wedge your head in there, or a camera, with a light, and look down on the floor to make sure you haven't had a fresh water leak constantly dripping in there . There are a number of places where leaks are known to pop up in that area. (Keep a phone handy with you, so you can call someone if your head gets stuck in the hole)

Check your water pump connections, and check the fresh water intake connections on the outer wall for signs of leakage. Also, some people have had problems with pipe connections down in the bottom area of that compartment.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,528
    Wow, well done @omphoto!  We don’t see too many black tank plumbing repair jobs here.  Thanks for documenting your repair.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited September 2020
    Thanks for this. If ours is installed the same way, I imagine I'll need to deal with it sometime in the future. And I'm sure I wouldn't have thought I could 'simply pull it out'! What a strange way to connect that fitting (unless easy removal and replacement was the intent - which Nucamp has clearly 'forgotten'!)
    And thanks for writing it up so fully.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Ya, brave task. I am not one to shy away from certain tasks, but laying under the black tank drain as you must have would be one thing I would really have to think twice about!! 

I cant see where the fitting would be intentionally unglued; it would have leaked from the start. I think the glue failed over time and you were fortunate that the joint broke free cleanly.  Good work, none the less!
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    eeeckmaneeeckman Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for this onfo!!! I had the same leak; but in my case, the sleeve was secure to the elbow but loose in the tank. I could swivel the elbow/sleeve but could not get it to come out. Maybe a matter of leverage.  Pulled the toilet, marked the exit pipe/sleeve edges in the tank with a paint pen and could see the inner sleeve attached to the elbow move.  Resecured the elbow to the T@B and coated the exit pipe and sleeve ends inside the tank with several layers of rubber sealant. Initial leak check is good, need to see how it holds up in the long run.
  • Options
    JetmanJetman Member Posts: 45
    Omphoto,

I had same problem on my 2015 TAB 320S, followed your instructions explicitly and worked like a charm ( unusual install of a pipe drain into a pipe, no to the outside of the coupling). No more leaks an two trips under my belt. 

Thanks a lot
    jetman