Options

Purchasing Q for 2021 320 Boondock

BaileyBailey Member Posts: 37
Q for a new buyer of nuCamps (previous pop-up campers). What would be considered a fair price for this 320 Boondock 2021, Suggestions? I search for the MSRP but that varied. I have reviewed multiple listings across the country. Some of the dealers state a base price of $24K, adding $3300+ for a boondock model. Some online dealers don't mention the extra boondock costs at all. Visited one local dealer, 2 hours from home, Apache RV. Enjoyed the visit, the salesman spent time answering Q on the model, gave us a print out on how they price it.  Is $26 to $27K overpriced? Thanks.
2024 Tab 400 Boondock, Oregon

Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    Historically, when negotiating for an RV, you’d aim for around 30% off MSRP, which isn’t as fixed a price as it is for cars.

Right now? Personally, I wouldn’t even try to buy one until after COVID. The demand is so insanely high, you’ll be overpaying, and unfortunately it’s a sellers’ market. I could quite literally sell mine for a good deal more than I paid for it last year, even used prices are simply skyrocketing and nothing is available for longer than a week or two.

West coast prices are higher than the rest of the country, in part because it costs a couple grand to bring them out here from Ohio. I believe Princess Craft down in Texas pretty much lists for what they sell at (or at least, they used to) so somewhere between their price and the MSRP from the dealer you dealt with is likely a reasonable point to aim for. But sadly, buyers have no real leverage currently, not when dealers are demanding and getting(!) $2k non refundable deposits just to place an order.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Thanks. Just found another Q similar to my own, with plenty of comments and am now considering a wait on my purchase.
  • Options
    TerryHutchinsonTerryHutchinson Member Posts: 45
    edited September 2020
    Just bought (ordered) my 320 S Boondock (with microwave) from the Portland Apache.  $26,999 firm.  They are adding a brake controller and outfitting with dual 6v batteries at their expense.  They told me (and yeah the sales rep was very helpful and cordial) that the things are impossible to keep in stock at this time and the dealers are not really dealing.  They felt their price was quite good all things considered.  That Nucamp doesn't really issue a MSRP the way we expect to see one in the auto industry.  I would say that the price was the lowest that I was able to find for a similarly equipped trailer online - though it is very possible that a dealer listing it with a higher price might be more inclined to discount it to a buyer.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited September 2020
    Honestly, IMHO (in my humble opinion), if you want a deal on a 1 year old T@B, wait until next year. I’m sure many bought campers and RV’s this year as a safe mode of travel, and if travel restrictions are lifted next year, they will be wanting to sell and get back to flying and motels/hotels. But, everyone is buying at a premium price now, so don’t expect the lower sale prices you have seen in the past, especially if the seller financed their purchase. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thank you everyone, what did a buyer do in the past without these forums?
    Bailey
  • Options
    This forum has been here since 2014. 

A previous T@B forum was destroyed due to spammers finding a way in. It had been in operation 3 or 4 years and had a lot of Dutchman/Thor T@B info plus early Pleasant Valley T@B info. 

The original Little Guy teardrop forum was destroyed last year by Liberty Outdoors because it was not relevant to their current models (oh, the loss of 9 years of information 😢).

Many manufacturers have forums, but we try very hard to have correct information here that is helpful. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    VictoriaP said:
    <snip>
    West coast prices are higher than the rest of the country, in part because it costs a couple grand to bring them out here from Ohio. I believe Princess Craft down in Texas pretty much lists for what they sell at (or at least, they used to) so somewhere between their price and the MSRP from the dealer you dealt with is likely a reasonable point to aim for. But sadly, buyers have no real leverage currently, not when dealers are demanding and getting(!) $2k non refundable deposits just to place an order.

I was just at Princess Craft earlier this month and even they have raised their prices to no longer be a very public 20-30% under MSRP.  Makes sense.  With backlogs in manufacturing, if you cannot sell the same number of RVs, you have to make a bit more money off each unit to keep the business healthy.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    DougH said:
    VictoriaP said:
    <snip>

I was just at Princess Craft earlier this month and even they have raised their prices to no longer be a very public 20-30% under MSRP.  Makes sense.  With backlogs in manufacturing, if you cannot sell the same number of RVs, you have to make a bit more money off each unit to keep the business healthy.
    Bummer for consumers, but yes, makes perfect sense for Princess Craft.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    futuretabbuyer25futuretabbuyer25 Member Posts: 15
    I placed an order for a 2021 320 S boondock 6 weeks ago and paid 24,000 for a fully loaded model.  It hasn’t come in yet and the dealer isn’t being very communicative about delays so I’m not sure if I’ll actually get it for that price when all is said and done.
  • Options
    @futuretabbuyer25, the nüCamp factory was shut down along with most other businesses. This includes all of the parts businesses. My order for my 2021 T@B S Boondock was moved 6 weeks further back than promised. NüCamp is just like every other business—if the parts factories were closed, then it will affect how quickly the product will go out the door to the customers. 

In this case, we all must be patient. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    I placed an order for a 2021 320 S boondock 6 weeks ago and paid 24,000 for a fully loaded model.  It hasn’t come in yet and the dealer isn’t being very communicative about delays so I’m not sure if I’ll actually get it for that price when all is said and done.
    I assume you gave them a deposit, and they had you sign a binding contract in return, because that would be standard within the industry. If so, they have to honor the price regardless of whether or not the delivery date changes.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    futuretabbuyer25futuretabbuyer25 Member Posts: 15
    VictoriaP said:
    I assume you gave them a deposit, and they had you sign a binding contract in return, because that would be standard within the industry. If so, they have to honor the price regardless of whether or not the delivery date changes.
    I did give them a deposit and they sent me an invoice but they didn’t give me anything to sign.  Yesterday was the fourth delivery date I was given from the dealership where they failed to call and notify me of any delays.  The other 3 dates I called on the date they said it would arrive and they were fairly rude about me calling and then said something like “it will be in next _day”. 

I’m going to call today during business hours and try to get a real delivery date but if they just say “it’ll be in next _day” with no explanation again I’m just going to cancel my order, charge back the deposit and wait to see how coronavirus plays out over the next 6 months.  I have a feeling that lots of used RVs are going to flood the market if either the stock market crashes or a coronavirus vaccine comes out and both seem highly likely.  To me it’s worth paying a premium right now since my wife and I can both work remotely through the end of 2021, but as time goes on that premium is less and less worth it.