Off road use of TaB 320s vs boondock or outback

13»

Comments

• Options
    CherokeeCherokee Member Posts: 120
    gspdx said:

And YES, a 320 Boondock will go where a 400 can't - size does matter
    Just like wheel base affects break-over angles on a Jeep - CHEERS

One of the reasons I think the 400 is called a Boondock Light.  It isn't truly an off road trailer and it is bigger.  But you can go pretty far.  The spare tire and wheel jack are concerning to me.  So I got the Jack-E-Up to remove the jack and will put the spare tire in the truck bed if I need the clearance.

Another limitation is the TV.  I have a 4x4 Ford F-150 and from a ground clearance, approach/departure angle perspective it will never match a lifted Jeep.

My days of the lifted Jeeps is over.  But I do miss my built out CJ7 and my old FJ40 Landcruiser  =)

Oh, I forgot.  @Cherokee I love all these photos!

Great that your getting out - even graded roads allow some solstice and a little adventure! Jack-e-up's are a great addition to any trailer and as you know, an improved departure angle is a worthy pursuit  . Glad your still getting out and thanks for the comment on my post. 
    1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (2" lift and 30" tires) 2019 T@B 320 Boondogle
  • Options
    @Cherokee ;  Have you been to Swansea Township Ghost Town, Swansea Copper Mine, east of Parker AZ ?

If so wondering how that road compares to locations you have off-pavement towed.

Swansea Mine Road is about 18-miles one way.  Full road is lots of vibration even at slower speeds.  First 15-miles is rough but only real concerns are several deep gravel filled wash crossing. More than once TV was leaning to right, T@B leaning to left.   Last 3-miles are worse with steep hills (up & down) a couple tight corners and rocks in road.

Sorry, forgot to get pictures of the rougher sections . . . then a camera never seem to capture how rough a dirt road feels . . .

Swansea Mine Road is the roughest I've towed on so far.
    While camped tow Jeeps stopped by, Class-A toads, and asked "How did you get in here?"
    :) "Same road you drove." =)

Was only travel trailer there along with two Tent campers and one Pickup camper.

Cool - we'll have to wheel this one when we're in AZ. Our Lock-n-roll coupler is great for those deserting tilts  when the TW is going one way and the trailer another - but even without one, these 320's can do pretty well for their size! We're often the only trailer among truck campers and tents too. But we can leave the trailer and wheel harder sections with the jeep that the truck campers can't.
  • Options

Anza-Borrego Visitor's parking - Different strokes for different folks - We're the one's on the left

• Options
    dCliffhangerdCliffhanger Member Posts: 120
    I had my T@B 320s Boondock out for almost two weeks for first time on some rough roads and really rough road\atv "roads" . Much washboard and 1,2,3 foot high "dikes", deep furrowing, and then there was the 12-18" mud.....  It was behind a Ram 4x4. There were a few times when we asked "should we?" but not a single problem, except needing to bungee a cabinet door closed.  The T@B really showed it's chops, never bottomed out, did bob and weave and tip but always obediently followed. I am quite thrilled.
    Ron\ 2020 T@B 320-S Boondock Edge; Roof Solar, Firefly Grp31 Carbon Foam Battery; TV: 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 3.6l V6; Madison, Wi