Options

Help! Disable chirping CO detector

Well - I’m dry camping and forgot to switch fridge to propane. No power but now CO detector is chirping!  I’m not hooked up to anything and I’m afraid the chirping will disturb others. It’s 11pm here. If anyone is awake - help!  I can’t see anyway to take the cover off!
Aggie/ 2021T@B320S; Alde Compact 3020 HE/ 2021 Subaru Ascent
Rockville, MD (a D.C. suburb)

Comments

• Options
    cafyrmancafyrman Member Posts: 25
    I can't speak to the 320, but my 400 has a fuse in the compartment behind the CO detector
    2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited September 2020
    @ZippyA, I do not have a quick answer for you, but since you apparently have internet access, here is a link to the owner's manual.  I think it is detecting a "fault."  Take a look around page 11, but the answer may be elsewhere (e.g., "troubleshooting.," pages 23-24.)  You did not indicate if it is constantly chirping, or occasionally chirping.  Check the manual for the meaning of the chirping sound and any lights that are illuminated on the front of the detector. 

One thing you might try is to lift up the driver side bench seat compartment cover (where all the electrical connections are located.)  I believe that the CO2 detector has an inline glass fuse in the wiring at the back of the detector.  You might try opening that fuse holder to cut the power to the detector, and then reconnect it.  To avoid blowing the fuse, you probably should turn "off" the battery disconnect switch (in the front outside tub) until you reconnect it.  Then turn the battery switch back on.  Hopefully (cross your fingers), that will reset your detector.

Also, see pages 20-21, which discuss issues of low 12-volt power.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1224342/Atwood-Lpco.html#manual
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    ZippyAZippyA Member Posts: 59
    @Bayliss- thanks so much for replying!  I found the manual and it sounds like a fault with the chirping every 40 seconds. This was a spur of the moment decision to stay at this campground one night. First time taking trailer out this year and wanted to test everything out. First time without shore power ( I’ve only been out about 6 times total so I’m still a newbie). I’m thinking that the fridge ate up all the power and maybe the CO detector fault is related to that loss of power?  It’s almost midnight. 
    I don’t think I’m going back outside!! I’m assuming this can wait til morning??My little lantern light isn’t very bright. Ugh. 

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    I think you are right about the battery being low on juice, @ZippyA.  Hopefully, you can get it all sorted out in the morning.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The CO Detector will chirp if the batter power levels are very low. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    Sounds like your battery is pretty depleted so using it any more will just damage it. So you might as well turn off the battery switch or pull the main fuse, which will stop the chirping. Please be sure that you keep the trailer very well ventilated as you have no working CO detector. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    ZippyAZippyA Member Posts: 59
    Thanks to all who commented.  Well, even though it was a miserable night I learned a valuable lesson (one that someone told me last year and that I actually wrote down and then neglected to review - running the fridge on the battery will deplete it.)  And it did!  Duh.  I got up at 6 am, hooked up my car to the T@B and let it run for a few minutes and the chirping stopped.  I went to  different campground with shore power and all seems to be fine now.  
  • Options
    HikerTravelersHikerTravelers Member Posts: 5
    Be Sure to double check that the alarm isn’t for an LP leak before you disconnect it. Our 2015 tab has a single Detector that alerts for both LP And CO.  Ours went off a couple of times at night and we opened the door and turned on the fan and fanning the detector. When I got home I noticed the line connecting the LP tank to the regulator had a bad hose and I replaced it. It hasn’t gone off since.