Options

Bypassing Freshwater tank?

KB_TAB_T2KB_TAB_T2 Member Posts: 31
Anyone have any thoughts on why it isn't a good idea to bypass the fresh water tank, it is only 5 gallons anyway so that doesn't really go far. If we are camped at a state park or campground with water this makes sense right? We could then have fresh water hot or cold on demand. 
If we camp at a dry site then we can put the "tank" back in.

I am thinking of adding something like this to the wall where the tank is and adding an on demand hot water heater for the sink and for a future mod of adding an outdoor shower.
Anyone have any or heard any horror stories when doing this? Or anyone ever do this?
Kristen and Bryan
2022 Nissan Frontier 4D 4x4. 2005 T@b T2 
Powhatan, Virginia (Just west of Richmond)
2 Canine traveling companions - Luke and Solomon

Comments

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Many folks added city water to their older T@Bs. Mine is a late model 2007, and it already has city water. I often leave the 5 gallon jug at home if I know my campsite has water. The part you indicated is correct. Put it on the outside of the trailer, then tap into the plumbing before the pump to the sink. I would not get rid of the portion of the plumbing to the jug or pump because that is the easiest way to winterize the sink and pump. I do know of at least one person that totally got rid of her pump though and uses city water only.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    KB_TAB_T2KB_TAB_T2 Member Posts: 31
    Many folks added city water to their older T@Bs. Mine is a late model 2007, and it already has city water. I often leave the 5 gallon jug at home if I know my campsite has water. The part you indicated is correct. Put it on the outside of the trailer, then tap into the plumbing before the pump to the sink. I would not get rid of the portion of the plumbing to the jug or pump because that is the easiest way to winterize the sink and pump. I do know of at least one person that totally got rid of her pump though and uses city water only.
    My thoughts exactly just wasn't sure if this is done often on the older versions without a water inlet. I am looking at replacing the pump with a faucet that will have a "T" on the plumbing to work with tank or direct water line.
    Thanks!
    Bryan
    Kristen and Bryan
    2022 Nissan Frontier 4D 4x4. 2005 T@b T2 
    Powhatan, Virginia (Just west of Richmond)
    2 Canine traveling companions - Luke and Solomon
  • Options
    hamrxhamrx Member Posts: 16
    I only fill up my fresh water tank if I now there isn't fresh water.  Water lasts a month before algae, fungus etc can start growing in your fresh water tank.  If you read reports, monthly you should flush your tank with bleach solution.  Not me.  hardly carry water in fresh tanks on the east coast.  In the west I would, but it adds weight to your vehicle.  There is the argument all water isn't safe,  Plastic from tanks, bottled water etc.  Just camp with clean tanks wisely.
    Former 5th wheel and now T@B 320s owner. Amateur Radio Operator. Pulled by 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4 x 4
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @hamrx - FYI Alde recommends that the Alde tank is emptied out in between trips and nuCamp recommends that the fresh water tank be emptied if unused for a week.  If you are filling your tank with chlorinated water, I am pretty sure you can extend this time, however, you never know when it may be contaminated.  Many TaB owners use well water and don’t have the benefit of a chlorinated water supply.  In addition, depending on the campsites that you frequent, some water systems may not be up to snuff and contamination can occur.  So, you need to take into account the source of your water.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio