Options

Pahaque Upgrades

4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
edited October 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades

so many have discussed the waterproofness(or lack thereof) of the side tent. As a “retired” mountaineer/technical rock climber, I have always known of the importance of proper tent setup/maintenance. That said, as soon as I got mine, I seam sealed it. I like many have struggled with getting all the wrinkles out(key to a water tight tent). Last trip out, we really got a deluge and the tent performed “ok,” not great, but we were dry.  So I was staring at all the sags in the ceiling one rainy day, and it dawned on me: “what if I added a second hoop to the center.  I knew I had a bag full of old tent poles from tents I had thrashed over the years, so today I set the trailer & side tent up in the front yard and set to work, and voila, the center hoop has removed nearly 90% of the wrinkles an sags. I should note, that this hoop is in conjunction with the center spreader bar Paraque provides. Simple fix.  While I was at it, I scotch guarded the whole tent. It’s supposed to rain this weekend while we are out camping...bring it on!😈 

PS try as I may, the back left corner ALWAYS wrinkles🤦🏻‍♂️
TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
2018 320S Outback

Comments

• Options
    argemargem Member Posts: 17
    Wanted to do this for several years never could decide horizontal across top or diagonal. We end up using awning mainly. Could you show picture inside at the top what you did also how you secure it from sliding from side to side. Tried telling the pahaque rep at tearstock about design and he just laughed at me
    Ron & Abbie-Ashland,Ky 2005DM CS towed by 2014 Venza
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Hey @argem!  I missed seeing you guys this year!  Hope to see you next year!  

(Sorry about the off-topic.)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    @4ncar - did you just use another fiberglass shock cord pole?  That’s better than our PVC device that we rigged up to prevent pooling water.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    The shock cord pole just wanted to shift around. I wasnt happy esp not being sure how to "tack" it to the top so i was hoping you might have the solution
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM & @argem: So, yes to the shock corded poles. I used 9 @ 2’ poles and cut the 10th to 18”. This worked out well to bow out and provide the shape. This was mocked up this afternoon, so the pics I have do not depict, yet, the Velcro I will use to secure the 2 sets of poles where they bisect in the center of the ceiling.  The 2 pics below I just took now(in the dark) actually contrast better then the ones I had taken ( & deleted ) this afternoon. Tomorrow morning I will fashion a piece of velcro and the true “functional” test will be this weekend. Right now, the new poles are pretty well placed and hold well just being under tension. I’ll be curious how well it holds up in the wind; time will tell and I will adjust accordingly, as needed.
    The silver rod is the supplied rod that extends from the t@b door to the tent door, the black rod is the new hoop. Velcro will be “Xed” at the bisection.This pic shows the new rod as it now comes down the side wall in front of the screen window(both sides. I suppose I should have captured where the pole plants itself in the floor. I will augment the floor in some way, not sure as yet, but again the tension holds it firmly in place.
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    @4ncar - what did you put on the feet of the pole to protect the tent flooring?
  • Options
    Nothing as yet. I realize I’ll need to add something. Right now I am thinking I will use Butyl Tape. It is soft, but like sticky rubber so it will help to keep the poles planted. My initial thought is to wrap the ends with it to make a little ball end on each pole end. I am still pondering, so other ideas are welcome!😅
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Amazon rubber end caps.
  • Options
    AaronCAaronC Member Posts: 57
    That's a very clever solution! I'm going to try it. My tent is pre-aluminum roof support pole. I think your solution will eliminate the need for adding that east-west pole. And I agree, Pahaque isn't exactly open to design suggestions (:
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Small block of wood with a hole drilled partially thru that the rod fits into?
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    @Tampakayaker: I like that, and very doable. For this trip, I am going with my butyl tape idea, cuz it’s quick, and today & tomorrow morning I’m packing to head out. When I get back I will try that and see how it works next trip, planned for November .
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    My tent is vintage enough to not have any centered pole. They just relied on the keder rail, the front arc, and pulling really tight with the cords. You all know how well that works! So i just didnt see how and im not creative enough to redesign

• Options
    @argem: I don’t think you need the stretcher that Pahaque provided in version two. Just get a set of bungled poles, a total of 234” in length. I had a bunch of old poles from old tents and hobbled together 9@24” and cut on to 18”. You could order them: https://www.questoutfitters.com/tent_poles.htm

you can use all of our collective “creativity” (if you wanna call it that!😬), and when you are at a neighborhood cocktail party tell everyone there it was your idea!😏
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    I got these from Amazon for the outer rim of the awning we made.

BRILLIANCE4U Aluminum Tent Poles Replacement, Fits Both Female and Male Ends, Lightweight Tent Pole Repair Kit, 7001 Series Aluminum Alloy T6 Heated  20 feet

Price:$21.98 

Sturdy and had good instructions.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL