Homemade Awning for 2021 320 Boondock

BywaysNWBywaysNW Member Posts: 64
edited October 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades
Tried it out at Oregon coast this weekend. No pooling or leaks after a rainy night.  Looks like a keeper.  

Comments

• PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    That's pretty cool.  Thanks for sharing, @BywaysNW.
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• sptuckersptucker Member Posts: 42
    Love it.  I did not realize you could buy Keder "rope" -- great idea for a simple shade provider!

2021 T@B 320S Boondock  |  2019 BMW X3 M40i
  • BywaysNWBywaysNW Member Posts: 64
    Amazon has it. Doesn't cost much.
    I have a tent that has seen better days, I've been considering whether I could repurpose the rain fly.  This has given me food for thought!

I have had the same thought about a rain fly.  Don't see why not.  
  • NotYourGuyNotYourGuy Member Posts: 16
    This is most excellent. Giving me an idea to "deconstruct" a family tent and put the keder rope in for a DIY attached annex room.
    In case anyone is wondering, the Keder rope is on the 13-foot side of my tarp.
    Leftover Keder rope with stapler, Speedystitcher (for the more patient and less lazy camper), and a rope hanger made from a short piece of Keder rope. Sailright and Keder websites - and Youtube, of course - have videos on sewing Keder rope. 

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    How did your "speedy stitcher" work?  My only hangup about buying some Keder and setting up an awning to shade the "driver's" side of the trailer is my lack of sewing skills.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
    I did a foot or two on a piece of Keder rope. It's not difficult and there are some good videos. May try replacing staples when it gets dark and rainy and distanced.
  • Jackie_DaveJackie_Dave Member Posts: 73
    We added a middle pole and lowered the two corner poles. It seems to work a little better. It keeps the shape more in line with the roofline of the tab.

2018 T@B 320-S / 2007 Toyota Tundra
    Harpers Ferry, WV
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    There's an awning on the FB T@b Camping Trailers called the  "Boud Awning"...after my window awning projects..have 3 fabrics...might get ready to tackle it...although by that time I'll be waiting for the snow to melt!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    MarkAl said:

Since I had access to a gear driven sewing machine and other items, 

That's what you need to successfully make an awning.

The newer computerized all plastic sewing machines will choke on the material and keder rope, or strip the plastic gears.

We found an old all metal Kenmore to add to my wife's stable of 8 or 9 various sewing, embroidery, and overlock machines.

All it needed was oiling and a new drive belt.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
    We have a number of sailmakers in the Puget Sound area, I wonder if any of them would take a stab at making a PNW-appropriate awning for T@Bs.

• TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    PNWtabber said:
    We have a number of sailmakers in the Puget Sound area, I wonder if any of them would take a stab at making a PNW-appropriate awning for T@Bs.
    I bet they would welcome any work the way the economy is going.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
    We have outdoor gear repair shops that should be able to the job as well. 
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Jeansor, I bought one of those canopies with hopes of attaching it to the Keder rail. Thanks, as yours is the first one I have seen attached. I am not a seamstress by any means but I will try. (Give me a scrollsaw and I could cut out a replica of the canopy!)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    @Jeansor -- I like your version very much.  

• MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 455
    @Jeansor I agree it looks good. To figure the cut line did you back it into the trailer (somehow) and draw a line where the Keder rope would go? Do the ribs individually come out?
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • JeansorJeansor Member Posts: 28
    @MarkAl I just sewed onto the edge of the canopy.  No cutting or adjustments were made.  Here's a picture during set up - with my "helper"   ;)  The rope on the canopy is fed into the Keder rail, and then the cross poles are attached via clips on the top of the canopy.

2013 Nissan Frontier
    2020 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge: Sm@lls
    Keder question from a naïve newbie.  This is a photo of the rear passenger side of my trailer.  Please help me understand how this works.
    • I am assuming the silver metal at #1 is the Keder rail.  
    • If you are attaching something like an awning, does the black insert (#2) get removed or ????  
    • And, finally at #3, it looks like the previous owners had some damage here that has slightly deformed the rail, will that cause a problem in attaching anything?

@PNWtabber, remove the rubber insert and, seriously, toss it. It has served its purpose. 

The wide spot is where you start inserting the Keder rail rope. It needs a wide spot or else you can’t insert the rope. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Thanks (again) @Verna.  I assumed it would be inserted at the end, oops.

@PNWtabber, we all had to learn that. By the way, you may not have the same wide spot on the driver’s side. Pick up welding pliers at Harbor Freight and they will make a large enough spot to start the Keder rope. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    @Verna do you have an awning on both sides?
    I purchased my trailer used from a private party, during covid isolation, so my questions are endless!!  ;)

@PNWtabber, yes, I have two visors, but I have not used both of them at the same time. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    @Verna are visors effective against rain or are they primarily for shade?

Both, rain and shade. But, they are only 6’ from the T@B on out. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN