Options

Victron Question

NoVaGuyNoVaGuy Member Posts: 95
I believe that I now have my victron battery monitor properly set up and working correctly.  I understand there is another Victron controller under the bed that monitors the solar charging.  Is there some way to see the display other than crawling under the bed?  I am trying to connect that controller to my IPhone and it is asking me to read a code.
States Visited Map

2020 T@B 400 BD Lite

Comments

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    @NoVaGuy: the 6 zeros didn’t work? I didn’t have an issue connecting to my solar controller, however, I bought mine on line. I have heard on this forum that there is/may be an access code on the back of the controller and if so(6 zeros doesn’t work) then you’ll need to remove the solar controller to get it...😬
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    edited October 2020
    I didn't see in the Victron manual if the controller powers down if limited solar voltage is sensed. I have two controllers attached and I've noticed a parasitic drain of about 10 watts - this hurts if no sun is available. In our shady / cloudy PNW this is like leaving the strip lights ON all day and night. I'm thinking of installing a switch to disable these if the trailer won't be getting sufficient sun. Anyone know of a setting on the controllers? Even switching OFF the battery switch will leave this load ON.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,700
    If you turn off the trailer you still have a parasitic drain?  That does not sound normal.  Send pics of your Victron screen with the battery off.

@NoVaGuy Do you have a Victron Shunt?  Or just a Victron Controller with the Victron App?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    I am not having a problem with the Victron Solar monitor, my question was, can you see it without crawling under the bed.

States Visited Map

2020 T@B 400 BD Lite
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,700
    I think the question might be "where is the Victron controller?"  Some of the 400's had them under the bed, and others had them in a panel somewhere near the fridge?  I can't find a post that explains where it might be in the different models.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    @pthomas745 It is under the bed.  My question remains, can you see it without crawling under the bed, say from the side access hatch.  Looking about, I was unable to get my eyes on it. 
    States Visited Map

2020 T@B 400 BD Lite
  • Options
    m_lewism_lewis Member Posts: 76
    I can barely see mine thru the Alde hatch. Mainly, I just see the blinky blue LED. It is mounted on the wall of the storage closet, below the bed. 
    To get a good look at it, I have to open the driver's side panel of the bed.
    Different model years, campers with the 3-way fridge or solo bed may be different, I don't know.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite, BMW X3
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,528
    @NoVaGuy - I think the remote mounting was done because it was expected that you will access the controller and battery monitor information via Bluetooth.  Have you been able to bring up that display on your phone yet?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    @pthomas745 In answer to your question re my "parasitic drain": The battery switch has been off during the week and the shunt only shows a draw of 2 watts now with the switch still OFF. I suspect the controllers do go into a very low drain mode if the light is low. But since the solar panels can continue to charge the battery when the switch is OFF it makes sense that they also could contribute to draining the battery if they don't get sun. Obviously in most cases they do get some light to offset this (very tiny) draw.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    @NoVaGuy, I lost my Bluetooth connection as well and the 6 zeroes method didn’t work either, so you’ll need to get the PUK number which is on the back of the controller - sorry. I have a 320 so the controller was easily accessible.
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium