Options

Purple Line Quattro Install on 2021 Tab 320 CS-S Boondock

CbusTabberCbusTabber Member Posts: 5
edited November 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades
Hello Everyone!

Wife and I are desperately looking for a good option for maneuvering brand new 2021 Tab 320 CS-S Boondock into our tight parking pad (90 degree turn from alley with slight incline). After extensive research (a lot of which came from this forum), it appears the Purple Line products seemed to be exactly what we need. However, it appears there were a lot of changes made to axle positioning, AC Ductwork, and plumbing between the 2020 and 2021 Tab models and I no longer think it will fit. I'd love to be proved wrong about this. Does anyone have experience installing the Quattro on a 2021 Tab (Clamshell preferred)? I've searched this forum and have not seen posts or pictures of these being installed on the 2021 Tabs. 
2021 T@b 320 CS-S Boondock
2020 Subaru Outback XT
Columbus, OH

Comments

• Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 487
    I installed the Quattro on our TAB400BDL.  I can give you exact dimensions of how much room is needed, if this would help.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    @rh5555 Yes please! Any info would be hugely helpful. Thanks so much. 
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Columbus, OH
  • Options
    It will probably be a couple of days till I can get to it.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    @CbusTabber You might want to contact Purpleline directly. They can provide you with guidance on local dealers & installers who may have already worked on Tabs.

In Puget Sound, the Quattro has already been installed on a couple of 2021 320s by Apache in Poulsbo, dunno if they’ve done a CS yet.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    @VictoriaP I talked with Purple Line when I first started researching. They kept pointing me towards Camping World as a reliable installer but when I contacted the nearby Camping Worlds, they had never heard of Purple Line. I may reach out to Apache though since they've done work on the 2021 320S. I wish we had someone closer to Columbus, Oh with experience but at this point I'll take what I can get. Thanks for the info!
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Columbus, OH
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    @CbusTabber There is a Tab dealer closer to you that sells & installs them. I’ve seen posts within the last six months or so on one of the FB groups, but for the life of me I can’t find it or remember the dealer, I just noticed it in passing some time back. I’m thinking the post was deleted as promotional, which I do get, but it’s frustrating since it can be difficult to find people to install these sometimes. Not sure if that helps! 

I would also contact Purpleline again, if only to make it clear that you contacted Camping World and they have no idea why they were recommended since it’s nothing they are affiliated with. 

If you have any local mobile RV mechanics or RV customizers, they may be able to do the install. Purpleline will help them with any questions, at least, they’ve been very responsive when techs call them in the past. Mine was done before Apache was even aware of the product; they outsourced the install to a local customizer, who did directly consult with Purpleline on installation. And then when it came back to the dealer after install, every sales guy and tech spent time running it around the lot. LOL 

Edit: Also, ask your dealer’s service dept for referrals to local mechanics if they aren’t willing to tackle the install themselves. These guys all know each other. My installer was a former employee who set out on his own; they knew his work and frequently outsourced to him as a result.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    @VictoriaP do you know if Apache sells the Purpleline or just installs it?
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    edited November 2020
    PNWtabber said:
    @VictoriaP do you know if Apache sells the Purpleline or just installs it?
    I don’t know for certain, I *think* they handled the whole thing start to finish, but I’m not positive. I’d call Poulsbo as they’re the one Apache location I know beyond a doubt has handled several installs this year, but you can certainly ask any of the others.

For mine—over a year ago and through Everett—I had originally confirmed with both sales AND the service manager at the time of trailer purchase that I’d buy it and have it drop shipped to them, they’d install it prior to first pickup. Someone up the food chain had fits for reasons I never quite understood, and at that point they turned it over to Cascade Custom Coach in Sultan. They handled getting both trailer and the actual equipment out there, CCC did the work (I paid them directly by phone), and Apache brought it back to Everett for my walkthrough and pickup.

CCC did a fine job, and labor was the expected four hours. I’d absolutely recommend them. Given the weight of the mechanism (about 100 pounds), I highly recommend finding your installer first and drop shipping directly to them if you don’t find an all-in-one sales and install  place. 

Poulsbo RV across the street from Apache Everett is listed as a dealer & installer. They might be another option.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    Thanks for the information @VictoriaP.
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    cyoungcyoung Member Posts: 54
    I had Apache in Poulsbo put one on my 2021 Tab Boondock. Installation was top notch and works awesome. Unit was put behind the wheels and consequently both the rear trailer jack and grey water dump outlet had to move.    
    2021 320 BOONDOCK, 2017 F150 2.7 ECOBOOST
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    cyoung said:
    I had Apache in Poulsbo put one on my 2021 Tab Boondock. Installation was top notch and works awesome. Unit was put behind the wheels and consequently both the rear trailer jack and grey water dump outlet had to move.    
    Oh wow, that’s quite a bit more work than on the older Tabs where nothing has to be moved. Did Poulsbo supply the Purpleline, or did you order it separately?
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    cyoungcyoung Member Posts: 54
    Apache became a dealer after my conversation with them. Cost was basically the same within a few$.  
    2021 320 BOONDOCK, 2017 F150 2.7 ECOBOOST
  • Options
    cyoung said:
    Apache became a dealer after my conversation with them. Cost was basically the same within a few$.  
    Thanks, good to know! @PNWtabber Here you go, Poulsbo is now a dealer. Worth finding out if Everett is too.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    I have heard good things about purpleline’s responsiveness in answering installers questions.  I was also told by them that it can be installed in front of the tires if needed.  I’m in Colorado & I found an RV repair tech who went to the website & watched videos of installation & he said it looked pretty straightforward for install & agreed to cap the labor at 4 hours— I’m still saving up for it— I also have a very sharp 90 degree to get into my parking spot & need to do this if I want to continue parking trailer at home instead of paying for lot space plus I’m not getting any younger.
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
     cyoung said:
    This is great to know. Its what I've been assuming after looking at the bottom of my trailer and talking to Purple Line. On the passenger side, how did the shop get around the AC Intake that is just behind the tire? It looks like it is exactly in the way of where the Quattro would have to mount. I'm wondering if there are more differences between the CS-S and S than I originally thought. 
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Columbus, OH
  • Options
    If I'm not mistaken, doesn't @Verna have one of these on her trailer?  Maybe post a question to her to ask where hers was installed.
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Nope!  It would come in handy to back down the 180’ 2nd driveway that leads to the barn and then a 75* turn into the barn, IF the barn door opening is large enough.....but, no, I have not made any inquires into the purple.....

A backup home generator, heat in the garage, new water heater, kitchen sink and faucet have the priority now. The generator is on and working, which means I can go camping and not worry about the house, freezer and fridge contents—yeah👍
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    lkc001 said:
    I was also told by them that it can be installed in front of the tires if needed. 
    At least on the pre-2021 models, you’d have to permanently remove the step to make a front of the tires installation work. There’s just not enough room. 
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    @VictoriaP  Good info.  I have a 2017 Tab 320S so they were giving me specific info on my trailer.  
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    @Verna ok--I have you confused with someone else.  I thought you had one:)
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    lkc001 said:
    @VictoriaP  Good info.  I have a 2017 Tab 320S so they were giving me specific info on my trailer.  
    Unfortunately, if that’s the case, whoever you spoke with was probably not familiar with the design of the 320. On most trailers, a front install is possible and even preferred. On the 320, it can’t be done without removing the step and its brackets. There’s simply no room. I think there was a similar issue with the 400 when I spoke to another owner; at least the couple of 400 Purpleline owners I’ve seen had rear mounted theirs too. That said, you’ll have no trouble with a rear installation on a 2017. Our tank outlets and stabilizers and even the underside tire mount aren’t in the way. The 2021 install sounds more complex, which is a bummer for anyone who wants to DIY the install. 

Just a reminder to anyone thinking about this, you’ll also need a location for the computer (about the size of an average hardcover book). Mine ended up in the cabinet under the fridge, but that won’t work with the drawer installed on the 2020 and later.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    There seems to be a bit of comparing apples and oranges going on here.  Purple line make several trailer movers:  The Enduro, the E-go and the Quattro.  The Quattro is their newest and not mentioned on their website.  The OP asked about the Quattro and here are the details of space needed to install it.
    Purple Horizontal Arrow:  Distance from tire to end of motor = 12.5"
    White Horizontal Arrow: Distance from tire to end of frame = 15"
    Green Vertical Arrow: Distance from bottom of TAB frame to top of Quattro frame = 1.75"
    Red Vertical Arrow: Distance from bottom of TAB frame to top of Quattro motor = 5.5"
    Blue Vertical Arrow: Distance from bottom of TAB frame to top of Quattro drive cog = 6"
    This shows how the Quattro is installed, the hefty cross member clamps to the frame member and protrudes a little under 2" below the frame.  The near edge of this cross member is 4" from the tire, the far edge is 6.5".

Finally there are 2 drive cogs that engage on the tire, and they measure 6" across outside faces.  In order to mount the Quattro centered on my tire's tread, I had to relieve the trim by about 3/4" to make room:
    Hope these measurements help on deciding if there's enough room.
    One last suggestion:  If possible, mount a trailer mover with its motors as close to your battery as possible.  These are high current devices, and you want to minimize the length of all wiring.
  • Options
    @rh5555 this is amazing! This is so much more info than I’ve been able to get out of the manufacturer. Thanks so much for taking the time to put this together.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Columbus, OH
  • Options
    DaveCDaveC Member Posts: 81
    @rh5555 Can you tell/show me how you connected the Quattro bracket to the C frame on your 400? Also do you know who sells these in the US? PurplelineUSA only has the Enduro and said they are not reordering any of the Quattros.  Sounds like they are dropping the product.
    2017 T@B 320 Outback 2023 400 BD (IdahoTabato) pushing a 2023 Volvo XC90
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    A picture is worth a thousand words. Add this to pictures previously posted and you can see how it all went together.  This is with the undershield removed, putting it back was a bear.

Sorry, can't help with US availability.  I got mine from Purpleline.
  • Options
    @rh5555 Thanks, that and your previous pix are a great installation guide.  Now I just have to find one. 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    @DaveC Quite a few Tab owners have the Enduro as it was around for years before the Quattro came out. As an Enduro owner, it’s not a bad model if you can’t get your hands on a Quattro, the manual engage against the wheels is simple & effective. Mine was (professionally) installed before the Quattro was available, and I have no regrets at having the “lesser” model. 
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    @VictoriaP Thanks for the input. Do you have any pix of your Enduro installed? A have a 2023 400 and have concerns about it fitting.  Specifically, the length from the roller to the end of the motor and the distance from the frame to the motor. 
    Thanks.
  • Options
    @rh5555: I just got my Quattro Rhodium from the manufacturer in England. Quattro - Caravan Movers with Effortless Intelligent Power (quattromover.co.uk)
    I am following your lead, have cut the trim and installed the brackets. You mentioned reinstalling the undershield was "a bear". Mind sharing how you did it?  Thanks for the detailed description. I will add my experience when completed. 
  • Options
    I cut the undershield into 2 with the cut line in the middle of the cross bar.  I attached an 8" wide aluminum sheet to the top of the cross bar with copious quantities of double sided foam tape.  Punched holes in the sheet where the bolts projected.  Then replaced the undershield from the front of the trailer, taping the undershield to the aluminum sheets with adhesive aluminum tape.  First half was easy as you can reach over the cross bar to hold the undershield down while applying tape.  Rear half was trickier: I only mounted the first foot or so the the trailer so I could reach around to apply the tape, then finished the attachment to the trailer.  Held up well until I had to have the axle replaced and the shop messed it up.