Options

Trailer Hitch Lock

bobdbobd Member Posts: 3
What trailer hitch lock would people recommend?  I've heard the Trimax locks, and many others on the market, are easily picked or broken off with a pipe and hammer.  Looking for a more secure lock at an affordable price.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    They all can be defeated. All of them, regardless of their ads.

There are 2 types of theives: the real pros, and the people looking g for opportunity. Most locals will deter the latter. It is nearly impossible to beat the former, thus insurance and a webcam or satellite tracker.

I use 2 or more different kinds to slow down a would-be thief and have good insurance. I will also be installing a Webcam to monitor in 2021. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 997
    Yes all of them can be defeated.  Slowing them down or making them move to the next trailer is what I try to do.  But if someone really wants it they will get it.   That being said, I use trimax on our trailer.  When the trailer is parked in storage I use a trimax coupler lock, locking hitch pin and a trimax wheel lock on each wheel.   The same set up I've been using for years and so far so good.   
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    What is interesting is:  the Trimax, which is certainly an impressive lock, is now considered worthless because of a couple of YouTube videos. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited December 2020
    Whichever lock you use, figure out how to secure your chains. If they’re left loose, thieves can bypass the coupler altogether and simply tow the trailer away by the chains to deal with the locks elsewhere.

As @jkjenn said, you need a multi layered approach. The goal is to make your trailer more work to steal than the one next door. And the final layer isn’t actually preventative against theft...it’s having excellent insurance, so that if all else fails, you can replace it.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    nhmikenhmike Member Posts: 94
    So, I was taught locks keep honest people honest.  Seems right to me.  If a serious thief wants your trailer, it's gone.  Insurance.  Maybe a loud alarm will help as a deterrent.  We do have an off the shelf lock for the hitch but rarely use it.  Call me naive,  but I still want to trust most people.  If someone is so desperate they need to steal my t@b, so be it.  
    2016 cs-s max
  • Options
    TresK3TresK3 Member Posts: 65
    Agreed with everyone here.  You could build a concrete bunker for your trailer and it would be pretty secure, but you couldn't go anywhere. 
    One consideration is where your trailer will be, when it's unattended?  If you are storing it in someone's field, out in the country, where a thief would have lots of uninterrupted time to work on getting your trailer, then you may need a more robust system than someone like me, who keeps the trailer behind our house when it's not behind our tow vehicle.
    As for specific recommendation, I went with a set of keyed-alike locks by Trimax.  Most of the time, when the trailer is at a campsite or behind our house, I use both the hitch-pin lock and the coupler lock (the Trimax 100, which I believe is their top of the line one).  It takes a little fiddling to get them both on and I run the chains between the coupler lock and the frame.  This is probably plenty of security to keep the average thief away and I have good insurance to handle a worst-case scenario.
    2019 Tab 400 Boondock Lite
    2017 Dodge Durango AWD with Tow Package IV
    A can of Skyline Chili in the pantry
  • Options
    GaryMakGaryMak Member Posts: 8
    I'm confounded by the choices as well.  Just got a 2022 320S and trying to figure out ALL the locks I'd need: lock for my hitch pin, lock for my coupler pin, lock for my couple ball, lock for my wheels... sheesh!  Anyone have any thoughts on "Proven Technologies" like Model 2178 ("puck") or so?  And anybody know what kind of trailers are on the 2022 320S? An "Atwood Yoke Latch trailer coupler"? A "Bulldog"? "UPF"???  I don't want to buy a $10 lock for a $30,000 trailer... so I'm not too concerned about the price, if it'll do the job well. Yes, I know, eventually they can all be busted open, but I'd rather give "them" a hard time if they really want to steal my Camper!   :D   Thanks! Any thoughts, philosophizing, considerations, waxing poetically, or recommendations welcome! 
    2022 320S + Subaru Outback

GPW (Great Pacific Northwest)
  • Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 203
    I went with this one. It's on the way so can't comment on anything yet but I've seen great comments on it here
    https://ftknoxlocks.com/shop/ols/products/atwood-plus
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Instagram: new.t@bventure
  • Options
     :)  Thanks for the suggestion.  I will check it out tomorrow.  Seems pretty secure.  I'll call my dealer and ask what kind of hitch I have (you seem to have to know that to buy the lock.). Thanks again.

• Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 372
    GaryMak said:  Anyone have any thoughts on "Proven Technologies" like Model 2178 ("puck") or so?  And anybody know what kind of trailers are on the 2022 320S? An "Atwood Yoke Latch trailer coupler"? A "Bulldog"? "UPF"???  I don't want to buy a $10 lock for a $30,000 trailer...
    Hi,  If you decide on the Proven..you need the 2178A.  (need the "A" model), at least on a 2021 320.  It fits perfectly...good luck 
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 260
    We have used the Proven lock for a year and love it. Easy on-easy off and I feel comfortable it could not be easily taken off without the key. 
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Options
    LawyerboyLawyerboy Member Posts: 98
    We bought the ft Knox lock with the stainless steel abloy puck lock and we are happy with it.  
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 997
    No matter how strong and "good" a coupler lock is the most important thing in my opinion is to keep the trailer from moving.  All coupler locks can be defeated by simply not hooking the trailer to a ball.  Thieves often times will just pick up the trailer by the frame and connect it to the truck with chains or straps and drag it away to a safer place then defeat the coupler lock.  Use the layered approach as mentioned previously.  I considered an expensive coupler lock but then decided to just use the layered approached with an average coupler lock paired with locking the wheels with decent locks and or chains.  I think this is a better deterrent on an expensive trailer than just a premium coupler lock.  Now if you use a premium coupler lock and secure the wheels then that is probably the best.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    bergger said:
    No matter how strong and "good" a coupler lock is the most important thing in my opinion is to keep the trailer from moving.  All coupler locks can be defeated by simply not hooking the trailer to a ball.  Thieves often times will just pick up the trailer by the frame and connect it to the truck with chains or straps and drag it away to a safer place then defeat the coupler lock.  Use the layered approach as mentioned previously.  I considered an expensive coupler lock but then decided to just use the layered approached with an average coupler lock paired with locking the wheels with decent locks and or chains.  I think this is a better deterrent on an expensive trailer than just a premium coupler lock.  Now if you use a premium coupler lock and secure the wheels then that is probably the best.  
    Thanks for this! You've just confirmed something for me. By way of an amazing coincidence, I was just talking to a contractor friend of mine (who unrelatedly but coincidentally also has an RV.)  Long story shortened, he shared an experience of being at a worksite, have all kinds of security measures & locks on a construction tool trailer - including taking the wheels off and mounting them on blocks under a light!! - and it having been simply dragged by its chains by a pickup truck to a dark (and quieter) location, where the thieves "had their way with" the tool trailer door locks and stole all the tools!  Moral of the story was the pretty much the same as yours in a way.  There's just no stopping a determined villain.  However, he said the same thing, multiple hoops is the best you can do and hope that's enough to discourage the ƒ@$ from stealing (at least yours, anyway. =)  . )

• Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 450
    This one fits my 2021 320 S Boondock... https://amzn.to/3b2rqjI
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    TABNewbiesTABNewbies Member Posts: 90
    For our 2021 TAB 400 we use the Ft Knox Atwood Plus lock ... with a bit of practice it is quick to fit and the ends of the chains (or cables for us) fit inside too.
    Puck Lock Options: Abloy Sentry cylinder in Steel Ft. Knox Locks puck body
    SKU: ATWPLS

2021 T@B 400 BD T@bitha with 2016 Highlander
    Juliet and Andy in Massachusetts
  • Options
    LawyerboyLawyerboy Member Posts: 98
    We bought the same ft Knox unit with the stainless steel abloy.  Just a word of caution.  When buying the puck lock, make sure that the cylinder is fully flush with the body when in locked position.  We discovered the cylinder was not flush and fortunately, the company has
    a local distributor here in Orlando who noticed it and fixed it.  But we feel good with the purchase and deterrence it can provide.