Options

2 Way vs 3 Way fridge Options

I am getting close to ordering a TAB 400 and can't quite decide on fridge option.  I plan to primarily camp off grid so leading towards 2 way but can't find any info on power consumption of the 12v fridge.  Does anyone know?  Also what is capacity of the factory solar panel?  The NuCamp video says 160 watts but dealer is telling  me 110.   Do the factory twin 6v AGM batteries handle the 2 way fridge without plugging in a generator every day or two?

Any advice on deciding 2 way vs 3 way would be most appreciated.  I keep hearing differing opinions and can't figure out best solution.  Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 988
    Where do you plan on camping most of the time?  We have the 3 way and do most of our camping in CO, WY, MT and the fridge works great.  Some have complained that it does not do well in humid areas.  As far as off grid the 3 way running on propane uses way less battery than the 2 way.  And it sips propane too.  We chose it due to the size of it and also due to our happiness with the performance of our old 3 way Norcold fridge in our old Starcraft trailer.  Happy with this one so far too.  The new 400 has a 162 or 164 watt panel, can't remember exactly which on it is.  Running the 3 way fridge on propane our batteries always get topped off by the solar.  That includes using lights, the stereo and the tv on occassion.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    We have the older 2 way 12VDC compressor fridge, and have the solar package, 193 Watts.  The new TaB 400 has 160 watts, as the panel is smaller due to the change in the rear window.  We were on battery for two days and two nights during a power shutdown, trailer in the shade, and the battery never went below 65% remaining charge.  The solar recharged the battery right back up during the day to 90-95% with the fridge running.  

So no generator was needed, you can also use the TV to help recharge the battery, in lieu of a generator.  We are adding a 100 watt external portable solar to help augment the factory solar.  This would keep,the battery up to 100% recharge in the day, as you can put a portable panel in the sun.  You could do the same to extend dry camping without external electrical hookup.

Also, the TaB 400 Solo model has a larger compressor fridge, a little smaller than the larger absorption fridge option.  We looked at this model, but decided we wanted the larger wardrobe cabinet, and the smaller 2-way is large enough for our needs.  You can augment the smaller fridge with a classic cooler (we use a Yeti) or a 12-VDC chest type cooler running off your TV battery.

A lot of TaB400 owners with the 3-way absorption fridge regret getting thst option as it is not efficient in 12 fold mode, and does not keep food cold in hot weather in propane mode.  There are several discussions here about the fridge options.
    cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    Welcome to the Forums.
    With all the Victrons that are endlessly discussed here, you would think there would be page after page of Victron screen shots showing the newer fridges power consumption.  But.....no.  We still rely mostly on hearsay, it seems to me.
    GIVE US MORE DATA!
    A three way fridge would run on propane, and not use much 12v at all.  I have one in my 2017, and it works fine for me, so a stock battery and a 100 watt solar panel and I'm good to go.  Of course, on 12V, it sucks power at a rate of 13 amps per hour.  Not good.
    The newer fridges are "apparently" down to using about 30 amp hours per 24 hours, and many seem to be reporting decent fridge/solar performance with appropriately sized battery banks, such as the 2 6V setup you are describing.
    Here is one thread.  The other thing to find is the exact model number of the fridge the factory wants to install.  Find the manual, and the power use will (should) be listed in the specs.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    The small fridge in the 2021 TaB 400 is a Isotherm Cruise 12VDC compressor, with the new Danfoss compressor that is very efficient.  It is a little larger than the Norcold previously,used (which is what we have).

About 200 watts of solar in normal sunny to cloudy bright days will keep,up,with the new 2-way fridge from posts thst I have read. 
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    Has anyone measured the DC draw during LPG mode on the 3-way?  We opted for the 3-way for the extra fridge space plus lower battery draw when boondocking, but curious how much current the thing still draws in LPG mode.  It's got to be less than the 2-way running on full DC..
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    edited January 2021
    A year or so ago I measured my amp hour use with my Victron with the fridge on propane for a 24 hour period.  The "normal" parasitic drain for my trailer is 4 amp hours per day.  With the fridge running on propane, it added another 4 amp hours to that total.  So, a quarter of an amp per hour?   Edit:  fell into my own trap:  my fridge is a 3 way 2017 Norcold 180.3.  Newer fridges may be very different on propane!

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @TomCanada, I think there is possibly zero 12V draw in propane mode. The thermocouple is non-electric (and there's no light inside!)

I'd check it for you, but the snow is getting too deep to get out to it!

Maybe in the spring...  =)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    NorCalMikeNorCalMike Member Posts: 52
    I got an answer directly from NuCamp:

The 12v fridge we use in the Tab 400 is the Isotherm CR65EL. Isotherm has good datasheets available for their refrigerators and according to their testing, this fridge will consume 275 watts on average over a 24 hour period in 77°F ambient temps.

So about 23 amps over 24 hour.  That is pretty good I think.  
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 260
    I am getting close to ordering a TAB 400 and can't quite decide on fridge option.  I plan to primarily camp off grid so leading towards 2 way but can't find any info on power consumption of the 12v fridge.  Does anyone know?  Also what is capacity of the factory solar panel?  The NuCamp video says 160 watts but dealer is telling  me 110.   Do the factory twin 6v AGM batteries handle the 2 way fridge without plugging in a generator every day or two?

Any advice on deciding 2 way vs 3 way would be most appreciated.  I keep hearing differing opinions and can't figure out best solution.  Thanks!

We use our 2021 TAB400 with the 2 way fridge boondocking mainly and have been pleasantly surprised with how well it works and how little power it seems to consume. I dont have hard numbers for you, but our experience has shown our factory solar seems to keep up with it, the lights etc quite well. 
    We do turn it on before we leave home while on shore power to cool it down first though and leave it on for the whole trip. 

I would definitely recommend the 2 way. 
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    @NorCalMike likely an average. If it's actively cooling, it would draw more, but once at temp it should drop.  Though I read somewhere in these forums that in DC mode there's no thermostat control? If so, maybe it *is* running the whole time? But if not, I'd just make sure it was nice and cold from propane or shore power before towing, then it shouldnt draw too much. And if it does, I'll stick some frozen water bottles in there and leave the dang thing off for the drive :)

Edit: oh wait, you were referring to the 2-way model - my bad!

@ChanW thanks for the offer - I might get my unit in a couple months and try it out myself once I get the Victron monitor installed - will report back what I see (let me know if you beat me to it).  I might just geek out and create a whole table for the '21 Tab 400 of various device consumptions - there's one out there already but it's for an older unit with a 2 way fridge.

• Options
    Lol Norcold - # of Amps? Yes.