Options

MPG Boondock vs. Non-Boondock

I am planning on getting a Tab 320S and trying to decide between the Boondock and the non-Boondock model. My TV will be a 2018 Dodge Durango 6 cylinder. Does anyone know if the MPG will take a bigger hit with the Boondock model given the higher surface area? 

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited March 2021
    The height difference between the standard and Boondock on TaB400 models is 3-inches higher off the ground.  The total front area is the same, just three inches higher, so three more inches above the Durango profile.  MPG might take a hit when going against a head wind, but I think the actual MPG difference would be small.  Out TaB400 started out as a standard model, then we had the Boondock axle installed, MPG difference is nominal.  That said, the Boondock version might be a few pounds heavier.
    cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    William_KeeverWilliam_Keever Member Posts: 37
    edited March 2021
    Great insight, Denny. Thanks. 
  • Options
    ArwenArwen Member Posts: 68
    edited March 2021
    I don't know about the newest 320S specs, but according to the information that came with our 2018 T@B 320S Boondock: "NOTE: BoonDock Package changes exterior height to 94 9/16″ and increases the overall weight by 160 lbs"  The exterior height of the 2018 320S regular model is 89", making our Boondock 5-9/16" higher.  Some of the extra hight is due to the larger wheels and tires (235/75R15) of the 2018 320 Boondock.
    I pull my T@B with a Jeep Cherokee, which gets between 15 and 19 mpg while towing at 55 to 65 mph (my Jeep gets 22-24 mpg in on the highway when not towing anything).
    Unless you're towing with an underpowered TV, I doubt that there would be any difference in real world MPG between towing a 320S Boondock and a regular 320S. We often tow our T@B with two long sea kayaks (16 & 17 foot) on the Jeep's roof rack and have never noticed a drop in mpg.
    I chose the Boondock model because of the extras that came with it (cargo rack and diamond plate tongue box/utility platform, larger wheels and tires, and much higher ground clearance (in 2018 the spare tire on the regular 320 was under the camper. (Our T@B is for sale in the New/Used forun section if you're considering buying a used one, and are in the Northeast.)
    Arwen: Northern NH; 2018 T@B 320S Boondock, silver/blue; TV: blue 2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
  • Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    Choose the boondock model if you ever intend to... uh... boondock.  You probably won't know the condition of the dirt road before you're on it, and how rough it might be.  It would be a shame to be out there in the wilderness and not be able to safely drag your T@b down the road you want to go on.  Sure, it will probably cost you 1-2mpg at speed, but it will be worth it for the destinations you'll be able to take her.  

if you plan on only ever staying on paved roads (which is fine, no judgement here), then the base model is fine.  but, of course, then you'll never have the option.  
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
  • Options
    William_KeeverWilliam_Keever Member Posts: 37
    We’re getting the Boondock. Super pumped about it.