Options

Soft cushions? (Tab 400)

Just got our Tab a few days ago, and already noticing after just a few hours of hanging out at the dinette that the cushions are noticably softer where our butts live than on the edges.  Is that common?  I prefer firmer cushions, and we're not heavy people (<170lbs) - wondering if this means we'll end up with soggy sleeping cushions too?  Seems awfully quick for them to wear in this significantly.. 

Comments

• Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    @TomCanada
    So glad you brought this up. I'm in complete agreement with you - the dinette cushions are just too soft, and for me, become pretty uncomfortable in the spot I'm sitting after just a little while. And my wife and I are not big people either. I tried sleeping in the front bunk a few times, and the same thing, just way to soft/compressible - totally unlike the bed cushions (unless the Froli is just that good).
    I'm going to find a shop to replace mine with something a lot firmer when I get home from our current 30 day adventure in the 400.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    @ChrisFix good to hear I'm not the only one - these cushions are terrrrrible :)  Let me know what you figure out - I might have to go the same route on my end.  Maybe even get the existing cushions restuffed with something more durably comfortable.
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    @TomCanada
    I'm hoping the foam can be easily replaced with something a lot firmer by an upholsterer. The cloth just unzips, so I think it should be fairly straight forward. If you find anything you think will work, please let me know, and I'll do the same.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    A more enjoyable way to add more cushion for slim people is to simply eat more hot dogs (with or without ketchup). 
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,031
    Yep the cushions could use a bit more support.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    My grandmother used to put ketchup on salami sandwiches. It's weirdly delicious.  As for hotdog toppings, I'll take one of everything.  Remember the days you didn't need to ask Costco for the extra condiments at the order desk? Ah memories..

But I digress - will need to look into those crazy cushions.  I sent a note to customer service asking their thoughts and if they use the same foam for the bed cushions as well. Will see what they say..
  • Options
    KatydidKatydid Member Posts: 43
    Have had the same experience . Will also look into a firmer insert when I get home.
    2021 TAB 400BD; 2015 Audi Q5
    Boston Northshore
  • Options
    kbdigitiqekbdigitiqe Member Posts: 163
    had same complaint w our 2021 320, was very cheap cushioning bummer to hear it’s the same with the 400, but at least it’s not also the “bedding”
  • Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    edited March 2021
    We took two thick exercise mats and cut them to fit the cushions. We used Gorilla tape to splice the pieces as needed. Then, we unzipped the covers and stuffed the mats into the bottom. It cost $22 and made a big difference for us. I weigh 170 and DW weighs an undisclosed amount which is "just right." :-)

As far as the bed, we took a 2" topper and sliced it up to fit the three chunks. We made them a tight fit sideways to fill the gaps but shorter long ways to allow the heat to flow at the back of the TAB. We use crib sheets to hold the topper pieces to the original foam. We don't notice the splices and we can open the center hatch to access the storage. After watching my DW make the bed a couple of times, I made an executive decision to use this on top. No tucking, easy to pull the sheets and wash them. Worth every penny. We also made spare sheets ourselves from two flat queen sheets. We slept on them for over 7 months last year!
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    JeffroNC said:
    We took two thick exercise mats and cut them to fit the cushions. We used Gorilla tape to splice the pieces as needed. Then, we unzipped the covers and stuffed the mats into the bottom. It cost $22 and made a big difference for us. I weigh 170 and DW weighs an undisclosed amount which is "just right." :-)

As far as the bed, we took a 2" topper and sliced it up to fit the three chunks. We made them a tight fit sideways to fill the gaps but shorter long ways to allow the heat to flow at the back of the TAB. We use crib sheets to hold the topper pieces to the original foam. We don't notice the splices and we can open the center hatch to access the storage. After watching my DW make the bed a couple of times, I made an executive decision to use this on top. No tucking, easy to pull the sheets and wash them. Worth every penny. We also made spare sheets ourselves from two flat queen sheets. We slept on them for over 7 months last year!
    Those are some great ideas, thanks for sharing!

FYI I got a response back from the warranty folks saying they're using the same foam they've always used, and to talk with my dealer if they think it's a warranty issue worth pursuing.  Something tells me that will be a dead end and I'm better off finding my own solution, which from my research will be finding some high density premium foam with a high initial firmness and replacing whatever's currently in those cushions.  Or to try something like the exercise mat suggestion above.  For now we'll see what life is like with the standard ones though - who knows maybe they'll grow on us..
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,528
    Did they reduce the thickness of the dinette cushion?  I don’t remember hearing any complaints before now about the 400.  They upgraded the cushions last with the 2017 TaB 320 models.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    My 2019 400 built in February of 2019 has less than ideal cushions, I never complained, just figured when I got ready, have a local shop put new foam in, but yes NuCamp could do better with the OEM foam.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite