Options

Norcold igniter not getting spark on propane setting - Resolved

TRobTRob Member Posts: 54
I tried to run the fridge on propane for the first time. We have a 2021 Tab 400 BD with the three way fridge. 

It gave me error code 3. A little searching on here and I found some hints to diagnose. I took the little cover off the ignitor and setup my camera to video it while I changed the setting to propane. When I reviewed the video I heard three clicks from that area but there was no spark. 

Here is a picture.

Any suggestions on what to do next?
Troy / 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon / 2021 Tab 400 BD / Sarasota, FL

Comments

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    I had the same issue a couple of years ago. There are 3 fuses on top of the fridge, but you have to lift the stove top to access. Not a big deal. There are 4 screws under plastic caps in each corner that need to be loosened. Then just lift the front of the stove. Here is a photo. As I remember one of those fuses had failed.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Were you able to light your stove?  Sometimes it's best to turn on the stove and get the air out of the line.  Once the stove is lit let it run for a minute or so, then try lighting the frig.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I had the same issue a couple of years ago. There are 3 fuses on top of the fridge, but you have to lift the stove top to access. Not a big deal. There are 4 screws under plastic caps in each corner that need to be loosened. Then just lift the front of the stove. Here is a photo. As I remember one of those fuses had failed.

Thanks. I think you may have a different model though. The three way in my model is across from the stovetop by the bathroom.
  • Options
    Were you able to light your stove?  Sometimes it's best to turn on the stove and get the air out of the line.  Once the stove is lit let it run for a minute or so, then try lighting the frig.  
    The stove is working. I'll run it a bit more just to be certain.

I'm thinking that it's possibly a problem generating the spark. It sounds like it's trying to spark but I don't see it making one. 
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    edited March 2021
    With the obvious cautionary considerations:

You could try lighting the burner with a butane lighter. If it fires off it will likely go out after a few seconds as the onboard sensor won't detect that and the flame will automatically shut down for safety reasons. That tells you it's getting LP (e.g. not the valve), and that the issues may be with the spark electrode or the board itself, assuming the fuses are in good order (meaning you're getting 12v current to the spark electrode). 

Be sure the gap at the spark electrode is from 1/16" to no more than 1/8" from its ground. Too close or too far, no joy. 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    @TRob
    You still may need to locate those fuses, and check their Continuity.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    @AirBoss: hahaha..."no joy..." 😂
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Problem solved! The igniter was too far from the ground. It's working now. Thanks!
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Cool!  B)
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop