Options

Solar charging the battery when the TaB is covered

OlyCampersOlyCampers Member Posts: 22
So we got the AllPro cover for our T@B 400. It occurs to me that with the cover on, battery won't get trickle charged by solar panels. I can eliminate any "ghost" power draws by using the battery disconnect. Any thoughts about leaving the camper connected to house 120V power while covered to keep battery charged? We'll be using the camper at least monthly, so it won't sit more than a few weeks between uses.

(Title edited for search purposes.  Moderator)
2020 T@B 400 Boondock Lite behind our 2014 GMC Sierra. Homeport is Olympia WA USA.

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,676
    A fully charged battery, with the battery switch off, will hold a charge for months.  Just turn the switch off and you don't need to do anything.  You can use your Victron app to monitor the battery.....but, it won't do very much!

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    You could hook up a smart charger to the battery with a quick disconnect if you wanted.  A fully charged battery will hold a charge for quite some time and they do lose a charge over time which is a naturally occurring phenomenon.   It would be more efficient than plugging the trailer into shore power and putting wear and tear on the converter.   But as noted if you are taking the trailer out every few weeks and turning the battery off there isn’t much need to do anything.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    Other owners have reported that their panels receive adequate sun through their trailer cover to receive a charge.  Try it and see what happens.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    OlyCampersOlyCampers Member Posts: 22
    Thanks all for the insight! Appreciate Moderator changing subject to make my post easier to search. Very helpful T@B Community!
    2020 T@B 400 Boondock Lite behind our 2014 GMC Sierra. Homeport is Olympia WA USA.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    For the last 6 years our trailer has been plugged in 24/7 when we are not traveling which is 90% of the time. We still have the original battery and converter/charger. I do unplug it for a day or two from time to time just to make sure the battery is still holding a charge.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun