Options

Tub lock suggestions?

I am looking for suggestions relating to locking the plastic tub? Propane tank & dual batteries.

Is it needed and even worth the effort?

Any weather proof ideas that do not rust?

Comments

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    No locks for us. Much harder to repair or replace a damaged tub than what’s in it.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Also locking the propane container is a bad move.  In case of a fire, the fire department needs instant access to shut off propane and disconnect the battery.  If you have the tub locked, and have a fire, your insurance can use this as a reason to deny the claim.

Second, RIVA regulations require the the propane locker to be accessible in case of an emergency like a fire.  This is why nüCamp does not put a lock on them, nor any RV manufacturer.  
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,659
    I have just a simple hasp lock on mine.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    On a related topic, does anyone have suggestions for a lock on the 2021 Tab 400 exterior storage door?
  • Options
    PolanskysterPolanskyster Member Posts: 46
    @pthomas745, if you've installed one these locks in your 2021 T@B400 can you please show us which one you installed and how you did it?  That would be much appreciated
    2021 T@B 400, 2020 Audi Q5 
    Portland, OR
  • Options
    Sorry, I have not.....Maybe other owners can chime in...or you can try to set up a separate thread for wider dissemination on the subject.
    2017 Outback
  • Options
    HellFishHellFish Member Posts: 21
    My 2014 T@G CAME from the factory with a keyed lock on the tub. I figure I'm much more likely to be a victim of theft than fire, so I lock the bin.  A fireman would have no trouble getting past that lock if he needed in.  Which brings Dalehelman's point to mind, but in any case, I lock my stuff up.
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    If your TAB (or probably any RV) catches fire it will be fully involved by the time the fire department can get there--even if it is parked next to the fire department!  They will NOT attempt to ensure the propane tank is turned off.  They will simply protect the adjacent exposures and let the propane tank vent as it heats.  They will probably have no idea where the propane tank is even located but if they do know they may flood the tank with water in an attempt to keep it cool enough to not vent.  But maybe not.

I retrofitted keyed-alike tubular locks (like those used on vending machines) on my 2019 TAB 400 tub and hatches.  I travel with the propane OFF and the hatches and tub locked.  I lock the tub and hatches whenever I am away from the TAB but I don't leave any propane running when I am away either.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    True, but when we had the big fire here in Santa Rosa, one of the RV parks was next to a burning building complex, and the FD evacuated the RV park people, and went around turning off all the propane gas tanks.  On most trailers, the propane is on the tongue in the front, so location is not a mystery.   Some of the trailers near the fire complex burned, buy most of the trailers were saved, shutting down the gas cylinders helped to control the fire in that area, as did the spraying down of the area to keep the trailers cool.
    Cheers
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Denny16 said:
    True, but when we had the big fire here in Santa Rosa, one of the RV parks was next to a burning building complex, and the FD evacuated the RV park people, and went around turning off all the propane gas tanks.  On most trailers, the propane is on the tongue in the front, so location is not a mystery.   Some of the trailers near the fire complex burned, buy most of the trailers were saved, shutting down the gas cylinders helped to control the fire in that area, as did the spraying down of the area to keep the trailers cool.
    Cheers
    I'm not an expert on exploding propane tanks.

If the tank is turned on and a fire gets close enough to melt the hose wouldn't the safety valve in the regulator shut off the flow of gas?

And if the flames were hot enough to burn the hose or melt the regulator, wouldn't it be hot enough to just cause the tank to explode whether the valve was on or off?

There was a fire down here a while back at tank manufacturer/filling facility and those suckers were flying all over the place.

Now if the FD had the time and manpower to remove the tanks to a safe area, then I could see a reason not to have the tanks locked, but I doubt that would happen.

I could see them trying to keep the tanks from overheating, but even then that could be excessive use of manpower.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    Propane tanks have a built in pressure relief valve, that vents the gas when it gets over a set pressure, if if near a fire or spark, the venting gas can ignite, Nd burn off the gas.  Normally, no explosion.  A cut in the supply line between the tank and regulator will normally shut down the tank valve, but not a cut or leak or cut in the line  between the regulator and the appliances.
    cheers
  • Options
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Of course, if the pressure builds faster than the tanks can vent it, an explosion may result.  Even a natural gas pipe line can explode, I have seen two that did, one took out two blocks worth of houses the pipeline ran through.  If a fire gets hot enough, fast enough, anything can happen, and explosions may occur from many sources, including propane tanks.
    cheers
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    I have an alarm hooked to the 3 front boxes and the side entry door to the Tab. As it is parked in the back yard I am sure I can here it. Also have a tilt switch incase someone try's to move it. Nothing is perfect but I will not have to repair a jimmied side door or tub lid from someone trying to get in. Had a trawler boat with a very nice and expensive teak door and did not want to have to repair that door so I left it unlocked all the time with alarm on in the marina for years with a sign on the door saying alarm sounds when door opens. Never had a problem! Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    Can you link to the alarm type?
    2017 Outback
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    @pthomas745 As I am a Ham radio type I bought all the parts and made mine. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    Thanks.  I think I'll tie a bunch of tin cans to a string! 
    Your alarm is a good idea!
    2017 Outback
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    You can get alarms that work off a 12VDC system, designed for boats and RVs, just look around.  I had a prototype unit thst was built in the 1970s, and had a radio air wave motion detector.  I had a job whilst in college, that included being a security watch in an aircraft hanger at night, for the 12 midnight to 4am watch, imused the unit in the main hangar space with the receiver in the office, no one was able to sneak up on me, the unit would wake the dead!
    Cheers
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    @pthomas745
    Some times when camped at a place where there is a lot of traffic. Maybe close to town. We leave something out side at night. Like chairs tables. We use our red neck alarm system. Consisting of a couple cow bells and twine. You can’t imagine how loud they are in the middle of the night.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    That works just fine.
    cheers