Options

What battery monitor should I get?

I have a 21 TAB 400 BD coming in late June and want to start acquiring some gear for it.  Based on everything I have read, it is good idea to add a battery monitor/shunt.   I assume Victron to match solar charge controller but anyone have recommendation on what model?

Comments

• Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    BMV-712 if you want the display - I believe there is a slightly cheaper displayless option that you can only use with Bluetooth (which you also can with the BMV-712).  I use the 712 and although my experience is limited it has been great so far!
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,659
    The Victron Smart Shunt is the name of the device that relies on simple Bluetooth.
    If you already have a Victron controller, you will have access to "most" of the features of the Shunt, except for the "count of the amp hours used." 
    This is a thread with several options on battery monitoring, with suggestions and reviews on battery shunts that cost a fraction of the price of the Victrons.  Will Prowse review video included in the thread.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I am a victron fan. I purchased the BMV 712. Besides the obvious dial display difference from the smart shunt, but another difference is that the 712 will provide an audible alarm for a variety of states, such as low battery. You have the ability to adjust the value to which the alarm will sound. 
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 378
    Hi,  Disclaimer;  Newbie (TAB coming in a few months)...Does the solar charge controller come with any battery monitorng capability?  i.e overlap with BMV 712 or smart shunt?   This area is a bit confusing.  Thank you, 
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    edited April 2021
    The controller will let you know the system's voltage as well as how much charge (current) is being sent to the battery from the controller.  However, system voltage isn't a very good indicator of battery charge state. A dedicated battery monitor will measure precisely how many watts are consumed or supplied in total and give you a much, much more accurate readout of your battery's SOC (state of charge).  This allows you to use more of your battery's capacity without risk of damaging it (AGM batteries should never be discharged to below 20% SOC).

So yes, there is a tiny amount of overlap because both devices will tell you system voltage, but again that readout is fairly useless (it will be higher if you are charging by solar or shore power, or lower the more loads you are running), so really their primary utility as monitoring devices are solar status and battery status. 
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited April 2021
    I also am a fan of the BMV-712, and am very happy with the ease of set up, function, information, etc. You can also network the BMV-712 and the Victron Solar Charge Controller. This allows the BMV-712 to see the voltage and current from the Charge Controller and vice versa  to provide more accurate information.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC