Options

2021 320S Stove Use

JabGopherJabGopher Member Posts: 63
Hi All,

What are some particular things to note when using your stove inside your tab? Windows open/closed? Vent Open? Screens fully retracted?

We took delivery of our 2021 last August and admittedly have not used it at all ... partly because the lid was defective and partly because I like cooking and making coffee outside.

Now, to prep for the new camping season here in the NE, I've finally gotten around to replacing the Dometic lid that nuCamp sent over last year. I tried the stove afterward and it worked great but I noticed it threw off a ton of heat (expectedly). Then I began to wonder how those with experience, setup their front stove area before using it in case I burn the trailer down.

Thanks!

2021 Tab 320 S Boondock | 2021 Ram 1500

Comments

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I always have the front window open a crack, and when using the stove, I run the ceiling fan on low exhaust(blows out). I will often have the door open as well, but in the least, as I described. I and the trailer are still here after 3 seasons!
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited April 2021
    We do the same as @4ncar. The airflow really helps keep humidity down inside, especially when percolating coffee the morning.

Our first use of the stove, as total newbies in 2018, was steaming crabs w/o fan on and window open. 

Live and learn...

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited April 2021
    Yes, open a window near the stove, and turn the fan on to exhaust out.  This not only removes the heat, but also the cooking odors.  The galley window on the TaB400 works great p, as it is behind the stove.  
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    JabGopherJabGopher Member Posts: 63
    Thanks folks!
    2021 Tab 320 S Boondock | 2021 Ram 1500
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    edited April 2021
    Our 320S was delivered in June without a stove top. Not being told different we cooked a few times without it. The top was delivered and I put it on w/o issue. A few trips later I noticed the screen was melted above the stove. I replaced the screen but not until late summer, I haven't noticed more melting but I haven't used the screen yet this year with the stove, w/o bugs I've only cracked the window when we have. My fingers are still crossed.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    The glass top should act as a heat shield to keep the screen from damage.  That said, I leave the screen up, window open a bit, when cooking.  I also have the ceiling fan on exhaust mode at about 1/2 speed.
    Cheers
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    yep "should" but, the screen is a new design, the lids don't work the same and the stove is at least a bit different (with the igniter) on the 2021 . It would not be the first time a small design change caused a problem.  I have not heard of others with a screen melting issue on the new 2021s so I'm hopeful, but will be more so after this next summer camping season.  Meanwhile I'm diligent in having the fan pulling air out of the trailer with the front window at least cracked open. Also once again glad I added the variable speed control to the fan for electrical efficiency.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    Grand, have fun Mark, and be safe.
  • Options
    tcherketcherke Member Posts: 4
    Hi all, 

This might be too late for the above conversation, but on our test try of the range in our 2021 320 S cooktop, the screen melted. See pictures. 

We didn't notice at the exact time but noticed a few days later, and we were shocked, although in retrospect I realize that this is a terrible design.

We contacted nuCamp and they are sending a new screen, so that is the good news. But I am quite concerned with how much heat the range can through even on low heat and how much it heats up the side wall. I am currently investigating options for a heat resistant shield on the wall. So far seems like the best would be ceramic. 

I noted that there is a heat shield above the range and I am quite disappointed that there was no thought to do the same on the side wall as it can heat up a lot when cooking on the right side range. 

If others have any suggestions for simple approaches to the side wall heat shields, I would love to hear about it. 

Thanks, 
    Teri
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2021 Ridgeline Sport AWD / Canada
    Battle Born 100Ah 12V (lithium)
  • Options
    jimrjjimrj Member Posts: 57
    @tcherke - The same thing happened to us on one of our first trips. Frustrating!  This is a good reminder for all stove users to keep the shade down when cooking. 
    Jim and Robin / 2021 320S / 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk / Oregon
  • Options
    SusanDSusanD Member Posts: 87
    I had a problem with my stove top not staying open but got it replaced this spring. What an improvement! I rarely open the front window and never when cooking. I always turn on the fantastic fan and that does the job.
    2021 Tab320S Boondock, 2019 Subaru Outback 2.5