Movie Recomendation

Just finished watching Nomadland.  Highly recommend this movie. Draw your own conclusions as to its message.
2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.

Comments

• Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    It deals with Boondocking, living full-time in a van. Working seasonally for Amazon.  Being a camp host. Cleaning campsites. Being alone while growing older. Foregoing relationships for "freedom."  
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @Tabaz   So just a bleak enough message to make you give up RVing completely then...
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    While it deals with all of the topics listed by @Tabaz it also deals with people surviving the best they can with the loss of loved ones, jobs, homes...and finding a new community that helps to rebuild their spirit from all that loss. 
    It ain't all pretty, but heck, a whole lot of people really deal with this every day.
    Like @Tabaz says, draw your own conclusions as to its message. 

After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    DougH  and ChrisFix - my takeaway from the movie was a very positive message about a nomadic lifestyle.  Without giving away any specifics (and attempting to be a "Movie Critic"), I found the actions of the main character to be . . . . I'll leave it up to others how they interpret the movie.  WELL WORTH the $1.80 I spent on Redbox!  Unlike the three recent ultra-crappy Bruce Willis movies I rented. :(
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    It’s well worth watching. Frances McDormand is brilliant. And it’s very interesting how the movie mixes a few actors with actual full timers like Bob Wells. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    I loved it. The acting was great and, like Frank, I thought the message was uplifting. Having been to badlands, wall drugs and quartzsite, I identified with it. I highly recommend watching it. 
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    I love the triple entendre on the name, especially "No-Mad-Land": a way to stay sane! Adding this to my watch list :)
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • JoMoKeJoMoKe Member Posts: 4
    Recommend the film after reading the book.  As a follower of Bob Wells on YouTube, I first read the book and was eager to see the film.  As expected, the non-fiction book dives much deeper into the underlying economic forces that have been devastating to older people who worked all their lives but now find themselves facing poverty.  Very different group from the Instagram digital nomads/VanLife community with their glossy Sprinters and for the most part,  affluent recreational rv'ers)  Film has a real bittersweet tone, very well done IMO. 
  • TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 283
    Tabaz said:
    Just finished watching Nomadland.  Highly recommend this movie. Draw your own conclusions as to its message.
    Thanks for the recommendation - will be sure to check it out!  It's interesting how camping, or RV'ing, is pursued as a leisure-time activity or lifestyle by those of us with means, yet some of those fallen on hard times live the same lifestyle (but permanently) and don't see it that way at all.  Perhaps it's that knowing we can at any time park the trailer or pack up the tent and go home, or stay in a nice hotel, that makes it very much a first-world luxury we have.