Options

Water Damage Tab 2008 Dutchman Help!

Just found significant water damage in left corner of kitchen wall and cabinet. First season hookup to city water may have contributed to existing problem. We pulled back covering and removed as much wet wood as possible. Maybe we should have left alone but we got carpenter ants and freaked out. Cabinet removal would be great but can’t find anyone to tackle. RV repair will look at it this week. Called nucamp for advise but no response as of yet. Any ideas of suggestions on the problem of how to fix?

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,927
    @Gregante, I think first you have to find the leak source and repair that. Your trailer is repairable, the question is at what cost and is it financially worth it to you. Several members here have done floor repairs and others have actually done complete floor replacement. @Geo, are you following?
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    GreganteGregante Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your insightful comment. . I love my tab and want to fix it. Agree leak problem first then onto wood repair. Hoping Hudson RV will help with all. Have seen others fix flooring but who will tackle this for me I don’t know. Thanks again. 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    I would also dry out the TaB first, before removing any more wood.  Most wet wood is softer than when it is dry.  Rot is a mold that goes in wood fibers at a specific moisture range, something like 25%-60%, so get the inside wood dry first.  Then access what real damage may have been done.  A single leak getting an area wet, is not always as bad as it looks when wet.  Your carpenter ants are also drawn to wet wood, easier to get into.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    @dragonsdofly,  OK - I'm following
    @Gregante,  This may not be as bad as it seems. Find the water source, dry out the trailer, and a careful inspection of what is damaged will give a better idea of how to proceed.
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100